Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Belovèse's diplomacy mini-mod

Default Belovèse's diplomacy mini-mod

Hello everyone,

I'm working on the relation system in SSHIP. To improve it will also have an impact on the diplomacy and the overall gameplay.
    Edit 2020/11/30: I'll now turn this into a mini-mod for SSHIP, and if it work well and players like it it may be integrated into a future release. For version 0.3 I'll go for more heavy changes on the relation system and begin to tinker with the diplomacy screen itself. The goal will be to have the player action be a lot more impactful on standing on relation, and that'll allow in turn to give them more weight in diplomacy. But for now no changes that'll span outside of these two files. So no new religions, bu that's a very cool idea I'll try to get on later!

Edited out 2020/11/30: I went through the current descr_faction_standing file, and found a few bugs or possible improvements. For now I've only concentrated on these bugfixes, and I would like some feedback by you, the players, to see how it plays out in actual campaigns and how you feel using it.
    For now I expect that there will not be a major difference, but that actions taken by the player will be a bit more impactful on your reputation and relations, and that the AI should not hate you as much as in SSHIP0.97.
    For later I have already a few ideas, I will detail them after testing this first version.

Here is the download link

EDIT: v0.3 released 2020/12/03.This version is part cleanup of existing files, part new things. Your relation and reputation should now vary quickly depending on your actions, and the weight of these variation will require further balancing so your feedback is needed and will be much appreciated!
    Keep in mind that I plan to have some effect depending on difficulty for one of the next releases, so consider this version 0.3 as the medium difficulty setting. And I want first to find a good balance here, then I'll make the system less forgiving on hard and very hard.
    EDIT: v0.21 released 2020/12/02: MUST HAVE! there was a typo in the v0.2 file, preventing it to have any effect... It is fixed in this file.
    EDIT: v0.2 released 2020/11/22. Next release will have more major changes, as my goal is for the player to notice easily the effects of his actions.

Here is the changelog:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    v0.31:
    - fixed value way too high for reputation bonus when releasing prisoners: it was only for testing and I forgot it!
    - thanks to above test, I now know that "WhenToTest FactionLeaderPrisonersRansomedCaptor" and "WhenToTest GeneralPrisonersRansomedCaptor" are redundant, so i kept only FactionLeaderPrisonersRansomedCaptor as it also fires for captains.

v0.3 (for SSHIP097)
    main changes:
    - started working on the diplomacy panel itself via descr_diplomacy.wml
    - reputation will be more dependent on your actions (prisoners, sack/occupy/exterminate, assassinations) and less on the number of settlements you control.
    - no more automatic reputation mailus on taking a settlement: it will depend solely on your decision to sack/occupy/exterminate.
    - respect your neighbor frontiers, as trespassing now has a greater impact
    - in general actions should have a much greater impact on your reputation.
    - for those who look at the text files: I started working on a new organization of the file: new summary, all "WhenToTest FactionTurnStart" triggers put in the same place, a lot of trigger renaming to streamline thing and make the export to spreadsheet easier to understand. An to be sure to find duplicate triggers. And a merged a few of those already.
    diplomatic agreements consequences on relation and reputation first rework:
    - CHANGE: trade agreement gives you a better relation on acceptation with target faction and it's allies, but no more reputation boost and target enemies will dislike you a bit.
    - CHANGE: reactivated possibility to "bribe" AI with money: small relation bonus every 1000 gold gifted. To be tuned, but it should be expensive and a worse solution than acting well to that faction. FEEDBACK NEEDED!
    - CHANGE: merged redundant triggers firing on concluding an alliance.
    - CHANGE: alliance has more impact on relation (and relation with target enemies also), but less on reputation.
    - FIX: marriage was lowering you reputation!
    - CHANGE: marriages have a much greater impact, but your reputation and relation will more important in concluding the marriage proposal
    - FIX: alliance could lower your relation with your new ally, it there were above "good" level!
    - CHANGE: threatening war has a bit more impact on your reputation, and now also affect AI. And it affects your taget allies as well.
    - CHANGE: breaking alliance no longer has an effect on faction the same religion as you.
    - CHANGE: successfully concluding diplomacy transaction no longer has an impact on factions the same religion as yours.
    - CHANGE: Declaring war no longer has a worldwide impact, but it's effect on target allies and target enemies is stronger. And it has now an effect on your enemies also, as see will see you ar warmongering.
    - CHANGE: declaring war on pope now has impacts on all factions, depending on religion
    diplomacy changes:
    - now vassal demands don't have any link to standing or relation anymore (if you're at war chance is they won't like you anyway!), but AI is less inclined to do it.
    - reconciliation (for excommunicated factions) is more pricey but not related to standing or reputation anymore (for the same reasons)
    - AI will be a bit more willing to accept ceasefires, but your reputation will impact the decision
    - the balance of your propositions will have more impact on your relation with that faction
    - for now bribing the AI is reactivated (better relations every 1000 gold given as a gift).
    - marriage proposal depends more on relation and reputation
    relation and reputation changes:
    - invading your ally will now result in a heavier reputation malus, and the target allies will also strongly dislike you.
    - merged triggers that were similar or duplicating effects, to have a clearing understanding of what's happening.
    - major assassination attempts have a heavier impact, except if you target rebels.
    - the AI now has the same impact for assassination attempts than the player.
    - attacking your ally is more heavily punished
    - being allied gives you a greater reputation bonus
    - releasing prisoners gives you a greater reputation bonus
    - ransom rejected still gives you a small reputation malus (after all, you ARE killing the prisoners, even if the game does not let you change your mind.)
    - executing prisoners gives harsher reputation malus.
    - same for release/ransom/execute characters (so the effects ADD UP to the normal "soldier-only" effects).
    - big religious building have more positive impact on your reputation
    - deactivated triggers Mongols_Invasion and Mongols_Golden_Horde because they were too
    - the pope should have stronger reactions to catholics being agressed by others
    - reactivated diplomatic insult (relation worsen for unbalanced proposals)
    - tried to equilibrate and merge when possible all triggers firing at faction turn start, except the ones related to historical relations and to religious cities.
    - pope has the same attitude toward player than toward AI (was a bit biased against player before). Also there was two triggers having this effect, merged them.
    v0.2 (for SSHIP097)
    changes:
    - adjustments on the reconquista-linked relations
    - when taking a settlement:
    - enemies of the previous owner now will like you more (because you attacked a common enemy). More precisely: no relation malus on exterminating, small relation bonus on sacking, big relation bonus on occupying.
    - occupying now has a small positive reputation impact
    - occupying now has a small negative relation impact with previous owner's allies.
    - Taking a settlement now only impact relations with the previous owner's allies and enemies. Reputation can also be impacted depending on the context (taking back a settlement given by diplomacy, exterminating population...
    - when there is a new faction leader, relations now normalize to neutral (previously was slightly positive)
    - changed all normalize action to aim for -1, 0 or 1 for easier adjustment an tweaking.
    - religions relation will now impact the player and not just the AI, and faction on the same religion will not hate each other a bit more each turn (as it was coded before)
    - FOR TESTING PURPOSE: deactivated difficulty impact on factions relation and faction reputation. why? because:
    - I want to see how the system works without being pulled to a fixed level each turn
    - I want to have action taken by the AI or the player to be more impactful
    - now it is a bit strange: even at very hard your reputation goes up each turn, even if your relations goes down.
    - if all this works well I can include the difficulty settings in each actions, not as a general normalization. For example sacking would have more impact depending on difficulty.
    - the "reconquista triggers" (special relation effects affecting moors, spain, castille, portugal and france) have all their effects disappearing after turn 250 (previously some were not limited in time)
    - Granada will create resentment between Moors and iberic factions if hold by the Moors.
    - Jerusalem, Rome and Mecca triggers fixed (some strange effects fixed, like orthodox liking muslim better for conquering jerusalem) and effects harmonized
    bug fix:
    - abbasids and kievan rus bonus for small territories were the wrong way around (firing for huge territories, so basically negating the malus they should)
    - fixed my own previous mistake on tall_poppy triggers (condition factionrank < 1 cloud never fire!)
    - fixed condition on tall_poppy and band_together to avoid multiple firing
    misc
    - various cleanup
    - merged some reconquista triggers

v0.1 (for SSHIP097)
    bug fix:
    - catholic churches were giving less reputation (global standing) than orthodox ones or mosques
    - when executing, ransoming declined or releasing between 100 and 400 captured soldiers there was no effect on reputation due to a faulty condition
    - sicily had better relations with neighbor than intended (the trigger for small kingdom to be more loved was instead firing is Sicily had OVER 7 settlement. Changed to UNDER 4)
    - trigger Papal_StatesCrushed could never fire (condition was I_NumberOfSettlements papal_states < 1, changed to < 2).
    - when found, fixed "blind spot" in greater-than and lower-than triggers. For example: trigger1 has condition < 300, trigger2 has condition > 300, so nothing happens at 300. Correct way is: trigger1 has condition < 301, trigger2 has condition > 300
    - impact of global standing (reputation) on faction standing (relations to other factions) was to great if you were with a very high or very low reputation. Two triggers were firing at the same time and effects were piling up.

changes:
    - removed (commented out) penalties for "invading" (actually just moving on) watchtowers
    - removed (commented out) penalties for invading rebel settlements (just personal test, you can uncomment Trigger 0052_T_Invaded_Settlement_Rebels if you prefer)
    - moved allies/enemies relation system from a relative effect (with potential boomerang effect) to a fixed amount effect.
    - added impact for executing, ransoming declined or releasing less than 100 prisoners
    - added impact for ransoming declined and releasing characters (generals). Previously it was only for executing.
    - impact of negative reputation on relations different than impact of positive reputation. Changed it so it would be the same impact. (trigger 0105_Update_Trustworthy_Factions_Major and following ones)
    misc:
    - commented out triggers related to forts, as there is none in SSHIP

To install:
    Make a backup of your current descr_faction_standing.txt, located in the data folder of the mod. Worst-case scenario, the current untouched SSHIP files are also included in the download link.
    Download the file and copy/paste it in the data folder (and of course replace the original file when asked!)
    Save-game compatible.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Belovèse; December 03, 2020 at 05:57 AM. Reason: update ti v0.31
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Default Re: Diplomacy and reputation fix - call for testers

Thank you for your work, to all of you guys, I really enjoy the SSHIP ! Just one thing - whenever I replace the old descr_faction_standing.txt with
    your new file, I cannot continue my old campaign, I have CTD while loading the save, as if it was not save compatible ? I am doing exactly as your install instruction says... Could you help me, any ideas what may I do wrong? The same happens whenever I try to modify any of the files in the DATA folder, even the smallest dot..

Quote Originally Posted by Macaras View Post
    Thank you for your work, to all of you guys, I really enjoy the SSHIP ! Just one thing - whenever I replace the old descr_faction_standing.txt with
    your new file, I cannot continue my old campaign, I have CTD while loading the save, as if it was not save compatible ? I am doing exactly as your install instruction says... Could you help me, any ideas what may I do wrong? The same happens whenever I try to modify any of the files in the DATA folder, even the smallest dot..
    Thanks for your report, I will try to swap the descr_faction_standing after a few turn to verify that it is indeed save compatible or not and will post the result.
    Are you using multiple mods? You could try adding this to your default.cfg, I believe this help prevent bugs when changing files:
    Code:
    [io]
    file_first=true
    disable_file_cache = true
    file_first=true should already be in there, just be careful to put disable_file_cache = true under the [io] section.

Did anyone else have this problem?
    Last edited by Belovèse; November 06, 2020 at 10:22 AM.

Hmm, I don't have any other mods right now and I have these two lines already in the [io] section.. I tried to do some additional gymnastics like to run the game in the administrator or compatibility mode, but it doesn't help as well.

Sorry, I just tried swapping descr_faction_standing.txt in an advanced campaign and it worked without CTD. Maybe post the log and save file in the bug report thread next time?

Quote Originally Posted by Belovèse View Post
    Sorry, I just tried swapping descr_faction_standing.txt in an advanced campaign and it worked without CTD. Maybe post the log and save file in the bug report thread next time?
    Here it is, thank you for your help...
    Attached Files Attached Files

changes:
    - removed (commented out) penalties for "invading" (actually just moving on) watchtowers
    - removed (commented out) penalties for invading rebel settlements
    - added impact for executing, ransomming declined or releasing less than 100 prisonners
    - impact of negative reputation on relations different than impact of positive reputation. Changed it so it would be the same impact. (trigger 0105_Update_Trustworthy_Factions_Major and following ones)
    First of all, this excellent! So many prospects for the next version of SSHIP from many people, I love it.

I'd love to personally help testing, but what do you need exactly? Just an opinion on the general feel of AI behavior? Or something more specific?

Now, on the changes, In my opinion:
    -If watchtowers are depicted as populated, I think it should still have a very small penalty.
    -Invading rebel settlements should have an impact, unless there's already one for growing number of settlements (Better, I think), everyone around would be concerned if someone starts expanding fast, wouldn't they?
    -Also, good to know on the impacts for <100 prisoners actions, is it less pronounced than >100?
    -Perhaps Positive rep should have way less impact on relations than negative rep, I think it's harder to forget the bad stuff than the good, relations could be improved by military and financial aid, or even ceding settlements (I remember Shogun 2 campaigns where I had to help allies or vassalize someone and helping it grow a bit instead of just invading and annihilating the conquered, because otherwise I would had been overextending and I couldn't have stopped a comeback, It'd be a dream if those could be mirrored here somehow, just suggesting (Also being a small faction and getting into the wars of major ones supporting one side, for getting troop experience, character dev, money through deals, and shifting the balance of power in a way that helps you emerge, I think it would add to the strategy component marvellously).

For later I have already a few ideas, I will detail them after testing this first version.
    Looking forward!

@Macaras: I tried to load your save with the "vanilla" sship or with my version, neither worked. Couldn't find anything in the log either, maybe your save is corrupted, do you have a previous save of this campaign or an autosave to fall back on?

@Sindathar: thank a lot! For now I'm looking mostly for an opinion on the general feel, as you said. I expect the AI to behave roughly the same as before: it's my first time playing around with descr_faction_standing, so I'll go step by step.

- for watchtowers: for me they are just a game mechanism representing the capacity to gather information on the map. It was a very small penalty already but I don't think most players know it exist, and I personally don't want to bother avoiding them in enemy territory. If you want to reactivate it do a search in descr_faction_standing for 0053_T_Invaded_Watchtower and 0102_T_Invaded_Watchtower and un-comment these triggers
    - invading rebels settlements still have an impact, but lower than invading another factions (it's given by the sphere of influence mechanism, at the end of the file). It's to be balanced, but in one side the games push for expansion with the crown system, so I (not the SSHIP team) felt like trying this, and look forward player feedback.
    - yes, the impact for less than 100 prisoners is less than for more. The steps are for 100, 400 and 1000 prisonners.

I agree good reputation should require efforts, but for now I feel like the AI just hate you anyway, specially on VH. My long-term goal is to go from the actual system (the higher difficulties give you a relation and reputation malus every turn) to a system where each actions have differents impacts on different difficulty. For example watchtower malus could be activated only on hard an very hard, the effect of diplomatic gifts on the AI could be greater at lower levels, etc...

Don't know if you shogun experience is possible on SSHIP, would be great I think!
    Last edited by Belovèse; November 06, 2020 at 03:21 PM.

@Macaras: I tried to load your save with the "vanilla" sship or with my version, neither worked. Couldn't find anything in the log either, maybe your save is corrupted, do you have a previous save of this campaign or an autosave to fall back on?
    I am sending the autosave, its the same year though, I doubt it will work better than the other file. I have SSHIP 0.97 and the Patch D installed.
    I am sorry you cannot read my saves because it means I will be of no use for any bug reports or testing... and every time I want to modify some file I will have to start a new campaign.
    I think long time ago I saw somewhere in the forum somebody who had a similar problem, the saves were not working, I will try to find it. Thanks again !

Quote Originally Posted by Macaras View Post
    I am sending the autosave, its the same year though, I doubt it will work better than the other file. I have SSHIP 0.97 and the Patch D installed.
    I am sorry you cannot read my saves because it means I will be of no use for any bug reports or testing... and every time I want to modify some file I will have to start a new campaign.
    I think long time ago I saw somewhere in the forum somebody who had a similar problem, the saves were not working, I will try to find it. Thanks again !
    Unfortunately you are right, and I could not get the autosave to load either. That's quite strange if your install has an allergic reaction to changes in the mod files, I don't know a way around that expect to redo the install from scratch. Keep me posted if you find a solution!

Unfortunately you are right, and I could not get the autosave to load either. That's quite strange if your install has an allergic reaction to changes in the mod files, I don't know a way around that expect to redo the install from scratch. Keep me posted if you find a solution!
    I think I solved the problem. What I did was to unmark "read-only" of all the Medieval folder and subfolders, then set ss_launcher.exe in compatibility mode with win 7, and then change all the possible users right to the whole Medieval folder into full control (which I was supposed to do in the very beginning, I would save some headaches for me and the others, sorry ).

Then after starting a new campaign with original export_faction_standing and later changing the file to yours I was able to load a previously saved game without CTD.
    I am attaching a save that I started just to see if it works, could you please check it if your are able to load it now?

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Thanks for your file. I will test it right away with my SSHIP 0.9.7 D version + my units improving mod.

My first attempt to launch a campaign with Sicily failed.
    Maybe my system.log can be of help ?

18:05:12.534 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    18:05:12.534 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    18:05:12.565 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    18:05:12.574 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    18:05:12.582 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    18:05:12.592 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    18:05:12.606 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    18:05:12.628 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    18:05:16.260 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/KCC 0.9.5/data/descr_faction_standing.txt, at line 328, column 39
    Number of settlements not declared

18:06:07.585 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/KCC 0.9.5/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 1438, column 1
    The character record Consigliere Domenico is set as faction heir but is not in the family tree.
    18:06:07.664 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/KCC 0.9.5/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 10069, column 1
    The character record Prince Guillaume is set as faction heir but is not in the family tree.
    18:06:08.566 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    Finally, from my 2nd attempt the campaign was launched !
    In the 7th turn I had no other CTD and my first battle (taking Ragusa) went very well, without bugs. The victory window closed without causing CTD. Phew !

Story to follow ...
    Last edited by kostic; November 08, 2020 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    Thanks for your file. I will test it right away with my SSHIP 0.9.7 D version + my units improving mod.

My first attempt to launch a campaign with Sicily failed.
    Maybe my system.log can be of help ?

Finally, from my 2nd attempt the campaign was launched !
    In the 7th turn I had no other CTD and my first battle (taking Ragusa) went very well, without bugs. The victory window closed without causing CTD. Phew !

Story to follow ...
    Thanks for the report and the testing!
    Line 328 indeed had a missing space, I corrected it and uploaded the files linked in the first post.
    Hope you enjoy it and it behaves well!

@jurand, to respond to your post in the bug report thread, I saw the "hotspots of conflicts" section and also thought I could be expanded. In fact, we could merge in it the mechanics already in place for the reconquista and spain relations.

Code:
    Trigger moorsCordoba
        WhenToTest FactionTurnStart

Condition FactionType moors
        and I_SettlementOwner Cordoba = moors

FactionStanding factions { spain } normalise -0.8 50

;------------------------------------------
    Trigger moorsCordoba2

Condition FactionType france
        and I_SettlementOwner Cordoba = moors

FactionStanding factions { spain } normalise 0.0 50

Trigger moorsValencia

and I_SettlementOwner Valencia = moors

FactionStanding factions { aragon } normalise -0.8 50

Trigger moorsToledo

Condition FactionType spain
        and I_SettlementOwner Toledo = moors

FactionStanding factions { moors } normalise 0.0 50

Trigger moorsToledo2

Condition FactionType portugal
        and I_SettlementOwner Toledo = moors

FactionStanding factions { moors } normalise 0.0 50   

Trigger moorsCoimbra

and I_SettlementOwner Coimbra = moors

FactionStanding factions { moors } normalise 0.2 50

Trigger ReconquistaSuccess

and not I_SettlementOwner Cordoba = moors
      and not I_SettlementOwner Murcia = moors
      and not I_SettlementOwner Valencia = moors

FactionStanding factions { aragon, spain, portugal } normalise 0.0 75 

Trigger ReconquistaDone

and not I_SettlementOwner Sevilla = moors
      and not I_SettlementOwner Cordoba = moors
      and not I_SettlementOwner Murcia = moors
      and not I_SettlementOwner Valencia = moors
      and not I_SettlementOwner Granada = moors

FactionStanding factions { spain, portugal, aragon } normalise 0.0 50 

Trigger spainGranada

Condition FactionType spain
        and I_SettlementOwner Granada = spain
      and I_TurnNumber < 250

FactionStanding factions { moors } normalise -0.8 75 

Trigger aragonGranada

Condition FactionType aragon
        and I_SettlementOwner Granada = aragon
      and I_TurnNumber < 250

Trigger portugalGranada

and I_SettlementOwner Granada = portugal
      and I_TurnNumber < 250

@Gigantus, if you wander here, my main question is: is it wanted that the following trigger would add up? If I undestand well, whenever 0086_Update_Tall_Poppy1 fires, Tall_poppy2 and Tall_puppy3 would also fire, leading to the effects to add up.
    Code:
    ; Make factions get a case of the 'tall poppy' syndrome.  get narky about the larger factions
    Trigger 0086_Update_Tall_Poppy1

Condition FactionHasRank
            and FactionScorePercent overall > 80
            and FactionScoreRank overall <= 1

FactionStanding exclude_factions { slave } normalise -0.5 75

Trigger 0087_Update_Tall_Poppy2

Condition FactionHasRank
            and FactionScorePercent overall > 70
            and FactionScoreRank overall <= 3

FactionStanding exclude_factions { slave } normalise -0.5 100

Trigger 0088_Update_Tall_Poppy3

Condition FactionHasRank
            and FactionScorePercent overall > 50
            and FactionScoreRank overall <= 5

FactionStanding exclude_factions { slave } normalise -0.5 125
    Right now I'm play testing this:
    Code:
    Trigger 0086_Update_Tall_Poppy1
        Condition FactionHasRank
            and FactionScorePercent overall > 80
            and FactionScoreRank overall < 2

FactionStanding exclude_factions { slave } normalise -1.0 75

Trigger 0087_Update_Tall_Poppy2
        Condition FactionHasRank
            and FactionScorePercent overall > 70
            and FactionScoreRank overall < 4
             and FactionScoreRank overall > 1

FactionStanding exclude_factions { slave } normalise -1.0 100

Trigger 0088_Update_Tall_Poppy3
        Condition FactionHasRank
            and FactionScorePercent overall > 50
            and FactionScoreRank overall < 6
             and FactionScoreRank overall > 3

FactionStanding exclude_factions { slave } normalise -1.0 125

For now, my test with your new diplomacy associated with your fix for screen transitions works without bugs. I touch wood ... (French expression )

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    For now, my test with your new diplomacy associated with your fix for screen transitions works without bugs. I touch wood ... (French expression )
    Good! Being also French, I know it is not as it sound in English!

Quick update bump: version 0.2 is out and downloadable in the first post!

Thank you ! I download and I test.

Do you plan on doing something regarding inter-religion stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    Do you plan on doing something regarding inter-religion stuff?
    Yes, but what do you have on mine?

Some stuff are partly done, buried in the changelog, and for next version I'll try to have religion be more impactful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast