Thread: Sean Connery, the original James Bond, is gone, 31.10.2020 R.I.P.

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Default Sean Connery, the original James Bond, is gone, 31.10.2020 R.I.P.

Im sure everyone has hard this sad news. Sean Connery, the original James Bond, died on the 31st of October, at age 90. He will forver be remembered.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Sean Connery, the original James Bond, is gone, 31.10.2020 R.I.P.

RIP.

On the positive side, he did get to be 90 years old.

Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

I will remember Mr. Connery but more for his films after Bond, which show more his potential as Actor.

Hitchcock' s Marnie

John Huston
    ’s The Man Who Would Be King

The Wind and the Lion

A Bridge too far

Time Bandits

Outland

The Name of the Rose

Highlander

Presidio

The Untouchables

The Hunt for Red October

Rising Sun

The Rock

Indiana Jones and the last Crusade.

He was a giant as actor.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; November 02, 2020 at 10:14 AM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

I think his best role was in The Name of the Rose.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Never really liked James Bond (not event the modern reiterations).. but I did fall in love with Connery at the time of Highlander... after that I watched with pleasure every movie he was in, even those that weren't anything special (i.e. the Rock or The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) .. I particularly enjoyed him in The Untouchables and in general I liked much his predisposition to act in secondary roles where the character is inevitably going to die or be removed from the scene in other ways
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

A great actor indeed! Died on the Bahamas where no doubt he was sipping dry martini's, shaken not stirred. Farewell Sir Connery. Slaínte!

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Yeah he wasnt a James Bond for me really cause its just not my generation. He was a great actor tho, and all the movies you guys mentioned ive seen aswell. I cant exactly tell in which movies i liked him the most, but i guess he will always remain Indiana Jones' father in my mind. He was what i imagined my grandad could be when i was a kid, cause my real grandads were already gone. His role in the Name of the Rose was amazing indeed, but then i think i liked him better as the defiant soviet admiral in the Hunt for Red October.

Praeses

You can't buy charisma. The man had screen presence that was unobscured by the Broccoli's clownish Bond films: he essentially carried a pretty weak franchise and made it a massive cash cow. He was honest and occasionally said things in bad taste, and supposedly ruined some films with his ego (eg The League movie) but his good and bad personal qualities matter nothing in assessing his ability as an actor.

He was a raw talent with little training and massive eyecatching power, who developed from a hunk (I mean his Bond was 50% schoolboy smirks and 50% murderer) to a capable talent. He played opposite Harrison Ford (at the height of his powers) in the second best Indiana Jones film and held his own, as an old man. In The Rock he was simply the most powerful bloke on screen, in a film full of convincingly strong actors.

I wouldn't say he was technically brilliant, he's not a superbly prepared genius like Daniel Day Lewis or Christian Bale, nor a craftsman like Malkovich or Spacey. I'd say he is like Marlon Brando (in the same class and almost as good) or Charlton Heston (about the same level): a handsome and charismatic young actor chosen for his power but who somehow continued to shine as he aged and his good looks faded.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

He was probably my favorite actor and maybe the best I ever saw in a movie. Apart from that I always loved The Name of the Rose as one of the few films which got to represent the book (and I love this book!) which it based on good and that's to a great part earned by Sean Connery because he was an amazing William of Baskerville.

@Flinn can we get a William of Baskerville Smily please?

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Blog Entries

unrelated, but still...

the world is very small, believe me or not, but I live in the same village of the actor on the background

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

RIP of course. I could watch his performance in The Rock about a 1000 times, and it would never get old.

"I'm only borrowing yourrrrrr HUMV!"

I will never forget Zardoz. Surprisingly relevant today in some ways. And thus depressive.

Still what a trip.

And Sean best role. I mean...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; November 05, 2020 at 07:49 AM.

Blog Entries

for the time he was a true sex symbol, very much natural

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    unrelated, but still...

the world is very small, believe me or not, but I live in the same village of the actor on the background

interesting face
    I believe you. I recall reading at the time the film was released they dug out a bunch of locals to play extras, some excellent Italian faces there with a nice medieval feel. Stupid me thought Ron Perlman was one of the locals recruited "wow what a discovery, that guy can really act and they just picked him off the street" Nevertheless the extras were well chosen and many ensemble scenes has a tapestry of fascinating visages.

Connery's very beautifully trimmed beard did set him apart, he was supposed to be a simple friar but he was as precisely groomed as Gui, the abbot and the wealthy prelates of the papal party (albeit not as finely dressed).
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    for the time he was a true sex symbol, very much natural
    I don't know, but he got more sex appeal as he got older. Like old wine.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I believe you. I recall reading at the time the film was released they dug out a bunch of locals to play extras, some excellent Italian faces there with a nice medieval feel. Stupid me thought Ron Perlman was one of the locals recruited "wow what a discovery, that guy can really act and they just picked him off the street" Nevertheless the extras were well chosen and many ensemble scenes has a tapestry of fascinating visages.

Connery's very beautifully trimmed beard did set him apart, he was supposed to be a simple friar but he was as precisely groomed as Gui, the abbot and the wealthy prelates of the papal party (albeit not as finely dressed).
    Indeed! The actor in that picture (Franco Pistoni) is a character actor, he usually plays roles where his "hieratic" figure can make the difference.. in recent times he is famous for acting the role of a "Jinx" in a very popular national TV quiz show. Best part about him is that he's a great dude, very humble and available to chat and have pictures with everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    I don't know, but he got more sex appeal as he got older. Like old wine.
    Honestly I don't know, my own wine never had the chance to age past 2 years

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I can't stop staring at his junk.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō