Thread: Phalangitai strategy musings.

Default Phalangitai strategy musings.

I've started a game with the Ptolemaioi, and after about 50 turns playing, I've come to a realization: I am not using the various Phalangitai units as the mainstay of my infantry lines. They're too expensive, manpower is too limited, and even in a head on collision, they're not enough better than other sorts of heavy infantry to justify that alone; usually I'm using the infantry to pin enemies in place long enough to have my cavalry hit them from the back.

Add in the fact that they're unbelievably slow and that means you constantly have to maneuver the rest of your army around their limitations, and I find they're a situational units at best. If I'm holding a river, or I expect to be fighting street to street in a town are just about the only times I think they're worth it. Most of the time, I'd rather have old-fashioned hoplites, which are enormously more flexible, and I'd definitely want to give up some raw frontal power for that flexibility.

Anyone else have thoughts on the matter? Because I don't know, something seems a bit off if I'm actively avoiding building the infantry that were the mainstay of Diodochi armies in favor of an 'obsolete' form of infantry in their preference, or whatever local heavy infantry I can get my hands on.

Default Re: Phalangitai strategy musings.

Phalangitai and, to a lesser degree, hoplites, fare better on static line engagements, which is how I fight most often.

Make a good, LONG line of of them, with some inclined in the flanks to make some sort of flank guard, something like this.

\____/

Put em guard mode, and SLOWLY approach this formation to your enemy lines until they engage. They will more often do that sooner (and handier for you) when you harass their troops with skirmishers or field artillery. Their troops will, eventually, start attacking your line. It may take some time, as they move their reserves around, and try to get some flanking going (luckily, your wings will protect against that), and the cavalry will remain a wild card, but eventually, all their line infantry will engage and will stay fighting with your troops.

Thanks to the long line, these troops won't be attacked by the flanks, and to top it off, some of your units won't be engaged, which will allow for them to make flanking maneuvers from wherever you can. Phalanxes, on that early phase, will do some considerable damage and take almost none in return (except from missiles), but eventually the foes will be stuck somewhat too far to take considerable damage, so you will have to order them to attack, which can become messy. Hoplites will take more losses early but, passively, overtime, do more damage on the defensive.

The main benefit is that, by having all their line infantry engaged, you are free to flank around with your skirmishers, cavalry, and free infantry to your heart's content. The problem is, it relies on having fairly well protected infantry to pull it off. Otherwise, you are probably better off organizing a charge/counter-charge, which can lead to a quicker rout. Thats usually how you do with barbarians.
    Last edited by RodriguesSting; November 02, 2020 at 04:51 PM.

Perhaps that might be why I've found them less than helpful. My default tactics when facing a large and reasonably well balanced enemy army is to immediately attack, and to do so at speed. I do this because the AI usually likes to pivot its line soon after battle begins, and almost inevitably leaves something out of alignment when it does so, and I try to dogpile those exposed assets.

But that is a tactic that's built around speed, not slowly marching up to the computer's forces and then baiting it into attacking you. The Phalangitai are not suited for it. A pity, I guess I've been trying to shove the peg through a square hole. And I do so like the Hellenistic kingdoms systems of governance, not having to run my FMs around in circuits.

But many thanks for the illustration as to how to use the pikemen.

Hellenistics can, naturally, make use of aggressive, mobility foccused charge attacks by the Hoplites and their Thureos/Thorakitai troops. You also have access to good foreign assault troops almost anywhere on your politeis (Illyrians, Thracians, Iranians, Anatolians, Galatai, etc). It is entirely not only possible, but, in fact, probably the final stage of the hellenistic military, considering that your final reform and colony finally solves your manpower issues by granting good pools of modern troops at the price of the availability of your phalangites. Plus, FINALLY, good Hellenistic cavalry, with numbers.

So don't be afraid. The phalangites are a resource, and a handy one, specially considering you can eventually supplement them with Agema who are absolute beasts, but not a limitation. The hellenistic roster may be shallow, but it is wide. Nearly every style of combat can be achieved, if you have a large enough empire to supply you with the needed troops.

The Phalangitai are difficult to wield on the battle field. Here are some notes from my experience:

1. The phalanx is excellent garrison. In the event of a siege, a phalanx blocking the entry to the main square (gaining morale boost from the square) can destroy a countless enemy units. For this reason I always station one or two phalanx units in each city. Consider them an insurance policy.

2. I have noticed that in an open field battle, when two phalanx units are together forming a line (in guard mode), the AI would tend to avoid them and go for the flanks. So I focus on inciting an attack on the phalanx. I split the phalanx line by inserting regular spearmen between them - usually the lowest level of peasant hoplites or even the peasant spearmen. These low level units are in close order formation which is dense and short in length, relatively deep and would protect the sides of the phalanx. When the enemy attacks these low level units, at least part of the attacking unit will end up engaging part of the phalanx.

3. Another way to incite an attack on the phalanx (in guard mode) is to put slings or skirmishers in a long line (just 2-3 men deep) very close in front of the phalanx. The enemy cavalry and general look for soft targets and usually charge the skirmisher/sling line, and due to the strength of the charge, end up entangled in the phalanx line. You lose maybe half of the cheap peasantry unit (if you withdraw it after the impact), but maul the enemy cavalry. Note that the skirmishers, should not be set to throw their javelins, because they will go forward doing so, and then the trick won't work.

Obviously, all these uses of the phalangitai are defensive in nature. But keep in mind that each attacking battle can be converted into a defensive one once you kill 3.5% of the enemy force - by using horse archers, or other means.

Still, I would not use more than two phalanx units in an army stack.

I use two phalangites of high quality to cover the flanks, and between 1-3 to make up the middle. In a royal army this is 2 agema + 3 phalangitai, while in other armies it is 2 phalangitai + merc/light/native. Usually the phalanx servers as a area denial, so the AI will avoid going towards the middle of the formation. If anything they'll try to flank or go at the extremes of the formation. This is why I place the poor quality phalanx in the middle, as sometimes they don't even see battle. In any case, with the general behind to inspire them or a single unit of peltastai makedones/logades (inspires nearby units), they manage.

I use between 3-5 units in a stack of 20, never more than that. It depends on what kind of enemy they'll be fighting. High quality phalanx can be used aggressively if they have some chevrons, this is also why I prefer them on the flanks - they often get to turn around and batter units in the flank.

The issue with phalanx untis is that they require micromanagement, the most important thing is that the enemy or the phalanx needs to remain idle. It's the same thing with cavalry charges - if the target is moving then the charge will suck. So the phalanx needs to remain idle and let the enemy come, or the enemy needs to be idle and wait for the phalanx to attack them. If both units run at each other then the phalanx will be infiltrated and be very vulnerable.

To make them stop, you need to use the stop command, and in 3-4 seconds they will lower their sarissas. This means that stopping at the last second doesn't work. If enemy units come towards the phalanx, you need to make the phalangitai idle before they reach them. Basically they need to be completely immobile and with their sarissas down, preferably in guard mode, unless you are using high quality aggressive phalanxes. For most enemies guard mode on is the best option. When the enemy is pinned down, you can do the traditional alexandrian tactic of defeating their wing, and coming down for the rest in a hammer & anvil fashion.

To sum up:
    - Pantodapoi/Machimoi/Deuteroi/Mistophoroi: Use them to pin the enemy down, in a defensive fashion. Make sure they are idle and receive the charge, a good place to put them is in the middle of the formation, where their flanks are protected and thus their low morale weakness isn't easily exploited.
    - Phalangitai/Agema: In addition to the previous defensive role, these can be used aggressively by turning guard mode off. Mistophoroi can also do it if you really need it, but they'll suffer more. When you go aggressive the most important stat is armor, which will help the soldiers survive the carnage and make best use of their compressed attacks. They should have 1 chevron at least for the +1 attack, so use veteran phalanxes more aggresively, while the rookie ones are left to defensive roles.

As an exception to both rules, if you're engaging cavalry from the front, turn guard mode off once their charge wears off. Even the levy phalanxes get a +12 attack bonus against the cavalry, so they can hurt them. Anytime a cavalry unit engages you from the front, go on the offensive and turn off guard mode to do some damage to them. Otherwise the phalanx unit will remain idle and simply hold their position.