Thread: Just putting the idea out there:

Icon3 Just putting the idea out there:

This is one of those horrible threads where someone with no relevant skills or time to do the work themselves wants you to hear their AMAZING idea for a mod which would involve months of hard work to pull off.

You know how the franchise has basically covered all the periods of history that the engine really makes sense to apply to? Now it's revisiting old ideas and fantasy IP just to stay relevant? How all the mods that try to let you play after the year 1900 don't really work simply because of how the tactics of war changed? I have a suggestion.

You've probably never heard of this game because it's 1) old and 2) bad.
    But watch this

44 seconds in, see that mob of football hooligans charging the neat rows of riot police? Wouldn't that work ing brilliantly in a TW engine?
    You want factions? Football hooligans, Antifa, the Feds, BLM, ravers, regional police departments, international police departments, students, Ende Gelande, proud boys. Siege weapons? Trucks, mysterious piles of bricks, food trucks, water cannons, all sorts of protest architecture (tripods, lock-ons, barricades, ad-hoc structures). Unit types? Umbrella shield walls, Molotov-cocktail throwers, mounted police, riot police. There's some stuff in the Hooligans game that may give some ideas about how different units can function. The tactics/rules of modern street protest and riot control aren't exactly the same as ancient warfare so it could be more than just a re-skin; the way people play could be different to the original TW games but in terms of arena size and the number of units in hand-to-hand combat involved make it ideal for a TW mod.

I'm not trying to prescribe exactly what anyone should do with this material but it's something you could draw inspiration from and it could be a hell of a lot of fun.

I hope this is the appropriate place to post this. Thanks for reading!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Just putting the idea out there:

Here is your video properly embedded: [youtube]sucbC5itb9M?t=44M[/youtube]

Which then looks like this:

As to the idea - it can be realized with custom battles, although it will be rather monotonous (and predictable) if it boils down to a straight forward frontal attack all the time.

Default Re: Just putting the idea out there:

Thanks Gigantus. You're right, but there's no reason it would have to. With the examples I gave there's lots of room for different until types and proficiencies and how they'd interact. Big gang fights would be visually impressive but they're far from the only option.

Particularly as protests are rarely about killing or routing your opponents. There's the potential for entirely new game-types and win conditions in this.