Thread: Why are garrison units so often crap in most implementations?

Default Why are garrison units so often crap in most implementations?

I am asking, because as I understand Roman history in the professional army, you served like 20 years. Rome seemed to be at war for much of its history. So, doing effectively 10 modern tours and surviving should make you an expert at combat. Finally, Rome, romanized the empire by using army vets to colonize its conquests; whether true Italians or romanized allied peoples. So, with all that you would expect some serious garrison opposition on the frontiers and well led trained levies.

Yet, the garrisons always seem to be depicted as old men, Hitler youth, and women each given a single panzerfaust to face the Red Army?

Why?

Thanks.

Default Re: Why are garrison units so often crap in most implementations?

Well, first of all there are a lot of factions other than Rome (unfortunately! ). The general idea of garrison units are citizenry that are left to defend various city states or towns. Also, gameplay wise, having to take on a veteran force every city would be fairly intolerable for the early game.

I wish garrison units could interact with reforms, but they cannot sadly.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Default Re: Why are garrison units so often crap in most implementations?

Correct me if I'm wrong, in Rome, weren't you given a farm or something across the empire in a province relatively newly conquered in order to romanize the empire/faction?
    I think gameplay wise it would be way stronger for the player if garrison was better. With a deffensive unit of general and few mercenaries + the garrison, you can easily win any battle until the late game.