Thread: Adding English mounted longbowmen to this mod

Default Adding English mounted longbowmen to this mod

Hi all.

I recently fired up my old medieval 2 directory and quickly looked for mods after fiddling around in the vanilla game for a little while.

I remembered the feeling that Medieval 2 had less settlements on the map than rome total war, and that feels harder to defend my territory (to me). I dont think thats actually true, its just that the distances between settlements are larger and the distribution of settlements is different. Sicily get the end of the stick id say, in rome there territory had 3 settlements in sicily alone, another 3 or 4 south of rome.

I enjoy role playing, building up my characters and family members, and I suspect in homage to my days building armies in warhammer fantasy battle with actual models, i love building up the armies, obtaining as many unit upgrades as I can and cycling used units to spread out the experience earned by my troops.

Consequently, i went looking for a map with more settlements on it. I had issues with regions and provinces that I didnt end up working through.

I spent a lot of time with the kingdoms grand campaign mod, which is fantastic, but its map its so big, it swaps the "not enough regions" with "this map is still too big". An improvement but not exactly what im looking for.

So, I looked next to this mod and I like the campaign map and settlements distribution the best so far.

I might add that I have a significant bias toward playing as england and venice, my favourite factions.

So, a question if I may, to anyone who may be able to help.

In the vanilla game I can add "Mounted Longbowmen" to the EDB and recruit mounted longbowmen from whatever building i write them into (I choose top level range".

I add this

recruit_pool "Mounted Longbowmen" 1 0.7 6 0 requires factions { england, }

to my edb under the top marksman range, and 60 turns into a vanilla campaign im using them having recruited them in game, great that work.

Checking EDU there is no mounted longbowmen listed. Fine, I copy the entry from my vanilla EDU for mounted longbowmen

type Mounted Longbowmen
    dictionary Mounted_Longbowmen
    category cavalry
    class missile
    voice_type Light
    banner faction main_cavalry
    banner holy crusade_cavalry
    soldier Mounted_Longbowmen, 32, 0, 1
    mount pony
    mount_effect elephant -4, camel -4
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, hardy, can_withdraw, cantabrian_circle, no_custom
    formation 2, 4.4, 3, 6, 3, square
    stat_health 1, 0
    stat_pri 7, 2, cav_bodkin_arrow, 120, 25, missile, missile_mechanical, piercing, none, 25, 1
    stat_pri_attr ap
    stat_sec 8, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 25, 1
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 5, 5, 0, metal
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 4
    stat_ground 0, -2, -4, 0
    stat_mental 5, normal, trained
    stat_charge_dist 45
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 770, 210, 100, 75, 770, 4, 190
    armour_ug_levels 0, 3, 4
    armour_ug_models Mounted_Longbowmen, Mounted_Longbowmen_ug1, Mounted_Longbowmen_ug2
    ownership england

And then add the line for Mounted Longbowmen to the EDB -

The game launches but crashes before I get to the menu.

Now, I have exactly the same issue with the kingdoms grand campaign mod, same state of EDU and EDB after defaullt install, same behaviour when I add entries to EDB and EDU for mounted longbowmen.

Over on the kingdoms grand campaign mod thread theres 3 threads talking about doing this, none of them seemingly successful. One of them mentioned needing the "battle_models.modeldb" file. I appended .old to my battle models file in the TVB mod folder and threw it in. The game will launch with this file present but it will still crash with the entries for mounted longbowmen added to the EDU and EDB.

I have exactly the same issue with the kingdoms grand campaign mod, but this is the one id like to play (with mounted longbowmen) if i can.

Anyone know what im missing or what I need to do to get it to work ?

Thanks for reading

Default Re: Adding English mounted longbowmen to this mod

I've also taken the files from both the unit_models and unit_sprites directories from my vanilla data folder and placed them in the same location within the TVB data folder in the same locations. Game still aborts before menu screen. When I remove the EDU listing for mounted longbowmen the game will boot to a menu.

just get rid of the "no_custom" and you will be able to use mounted longbowmen in custom battle and you must add mounted longbowmen to the edb txt to make the unit work. everything else stays the same.

Adding the listing back to EDU and removing no custom and the game still doesnt launch to a menu.

Placing the mounted longbowmen listing in EDB with the EDU listing and the game doesnt launch to a menu.

Removing the EDU listing and leaving the EDB listing, the game doesnt launch to a menu.

talk to azumi about it. if that doesn't work then get rid mounted longbowmen completely.

If I remember correctly, Total Vanilla Beyond utilizes EDU to the full, using up all the 500 unit limit. So you have to remove an existing unit to make room for a new one.

Thank you Delta35, that sounds like a good shout. I feel like that idea should have occurred to me. I guess I figured even if there was a limit on units within the game/mod it was unlikely to be at the cap, although I understand there is a region cap and this mod is sitting on or close to the cap. Apparently (so ive read) using the full region count (200 I believe) actually causes problems so I believe most mods will use less than 200, with this one listing 197.

If this gets the English mounted longbowmen to work ill post back here.