Thread: Countering Elephants as Rome

Default Countering Elephants as Rome

I've fought dozens of custom battles against elephant-heavy Eastern factions, and several against the Carthaginians. It really seems like the Romans are just inherently weak against Elephants.

Legionaries literally seem to be unable to do *anything* against elephants. In my experience, its pretty common to see entire units of legionaries wiped out, where the elephants only lose one or two of their number, if even that. Even Auxiliary Spearmen seem to fare only marginally better.

Artillery's basically worthless, because it fires too damn slow. They're usually overrun before they can accomplish much. Skirmishers can do some real damage, but it takes FOREVER. They've also only got so much ammo to use.

The only units that seem to be able to actually hold against elephants, and kill them reasonably quickly, are Hellenic phalanxes; either hoplite or pike. The Romans have access to *none* of that after you hit the Marian reforms.

Is there some Roman trick for taking care of elephants I'm not aware of? I'm all ears!

Civis

Default Re: Countering Elephants as Rome

Quote Originally Posted by gathomas88 View Post
    I've fought dozens of custom battles against elephant-heavy Eastern factions, and several against the Carthaginians. It really seems like the Romans are just inherently weak against Elephants.

Legionaries literally seem to be unable to do *anything* against elephants. In my experience, its pretty common to see entire units of legionaries wiped out, where the elephants only lose one or two of their number, if even that. Even Auxiliary Spearmen seem to fare only marginally better.

Artillery's basically worthless, because it fires too damn slow. They're usually overrun before they can accomplish much. Skirmishers can do some real damage, but it takes FOREVER. They've also only got so much ammo to use.

The only units that seem to be able to actually hold against elephants, and kill them reasonably quickly, are Hellenic phalanxes; either hoplite or pike. The Romans have access to *none* of that after you hit the Marian reforms.

Is there some Roman trick for taking care of elephants I'm not aware of? I'm all ears!
    Turn off auto throw Pila/ manually use it. use javelin skirm. are you 1v1Legionaries vs elephants? don't do that. have a dedicated anti elephant jav teams on the flanks or near where the elephants are going to crash into.

Elephants are often the first to hit your line.

I have had tremendous success with hold fire and then, manually targeting elephants. A Roman stack facing a single unit can often break it before contact. A Roman stack facing 2 units will be able to so weaken them that the will break quickly in melee. I have not faced 3-4, but I would assume the gods were not planning for a Roman victory.

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

Skirmishers and Javelin cavalry are the standard answer to elephants, no matter which faction. You may have to recruit mercenaries specifically to fill the need. Also, there are mercenary pikes available.

Save your Heavy Infantry pilum for the elephants - I always do if I see heavy cav or elephants and get your skirmishers to hard focus them while your front line keeps them busy. They should go down in reasonably short order although you will take some casualties but nothing insane unless they have multiple units of elephants which are hard for any faction to counter.