Thread: Soil Science related questions and answers

Wild Bill Kelso's Avatar Protist Slayer

Default Soil Science related questions and answers

So the last time I started a thread was in January of 2009. Wow. Anyhow, I am not seeing a lot of science threads in the front page of this subforum.

My background is in Soil Science (PhD) and I am opening up this thread to anyone who has ever had a question related to soil. If I don't know the answer I will do my best to help find it with you!

Not sure if this thread will go anywhere but you never know unless you try!

-WBK
    Still here since December 2002
    At sometime I patronized all these old bums:Necrobrit, Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion,Kagemusha, and adopted these bums: Battle Knight, Obi Wan Asterixand Muizer

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: Soil Science related questions and answers

Do you have nice triaxial test data for kaolin clay?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Question: Why did our soil mechanics professor, a good and very experienced guy, was replaced with an idiot that doesn't know crap when the previous professor retired (10+years ago)?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    I congratulate you for this thread. Also, while I have 18 years ago studied soil science as part of my bachelor as mining engineer, I remember nearly nothing of it as I don't use it. And I drop by the new guy's lectures I am severely disappointed. We're talking about the units of the various parameters not adding up correctly in some slides.
    His class is also quite boring (I never liked soil mechanics to be honest).
    Last edited by alhoon; October 24, 2020 at 02:23 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Question: Why did our soil mechanics professor, a good and very experienced guy, was replaced with an idiot that doesn't know crap when the previous professor retired (10+years ago)?
    Presumably retirement or a better job offer. Filling a position is not always easy even assuming the higher ups want to fill it at the same pay and status as before. It all too easy to find a stinger lecturer or two would jump at the pay than re fill a spot.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

pacifism's Avatar see the day
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Thanks for making this thread! It's cool to see an older generation of the internet still pop in from time to time.

I took an intro soil class, or geotechnics as they called it at my university, but the second one I was going to take got put on the back-burner due to COVID. Otherwise I would be all over this offer, because it wasn't an intuitive subject for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    Do you have nice triaxial test data for kaolin clay?
    Am I missing something about kaolin clay? Why wouldn't a regular triaxial test work?
    Read the latest TWC Content and check out the Wiki!
    ---
    Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement