Thread: [Chivalry TW] From Duchy to Empire - A Bohemian AAR

Default [Chivalry TW] From Duchy to Empire - A Bohemian AAR

The Duchy of Bohemia is considered to be the toughest campaign in Chivalry Total War, so let's do this. Chivalry has many unique mechanics that make it stand out when compared to other Medieval era campaigns for both Medieval 2 and Rome Total War and it is really a very nice classic total conversion mod. Its economy and AOR are difficult to manage, and its battles play out very differently compared to other mods.

The Duchy of Bohemia starts out with two provinces, both of which are not very rich. You also start out with a bunch of more powerful neighbors (HRE, Hungary, Poland) and nly one avenue of expansion to the northwest - so let's go for those provinces!

In this episode, the Duke of Bohemia crushes several pagan/rebel armies to the northwest and gets his country out of debt...

Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Default Re: [Chivalry TW] From Duchy to Empire - A Bohemian AAR

Hah, I haven't heard about Chivalry TW in so long! Watched the video + subscribed
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Thank you, Basileos! Yes, back in the day I was a huge fan of Chivalry, and I was feeling nostalgic... it's still a great, immersive, challenging experience!

In this episode, the Duchy of Bohemia climbs out of debt and into a major war with the Grand Duchy of Poland. While the Polish have the advantage in terms of numbers, the Duke of Bohemia and his knights will not stand idly by... The Bohemian-Polish Wars begin! In other news, Northern European pagans continue to cause problems for the Duke...

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

That is a challenging start, with a struggling economy and only militia spearmen and basic archers initially. I like the idea of needing to make the most of a rag-tag army, while avoiding the attention of your more powerful neighbours.

Thanks Alwyn! Yeah the Bohemians definitely have a very tough start and you're basically at the mercy of your neighbors at the start. What I like about Chivalry is that while you can get decisive victories in battle, if you're a smaller kingdom or duchy with a small army, it is extremely difficult to actually conquer and hold enemy provinces, as it should be.

In this episode of our let's play of Chivalry Total War as the Duchy of Bohemia, the Duke Premyslid fights several battles against the Grand Duke of Poland and secures much of Poland for Bohemia. Unfortunately, our allies, the Hungarians, have other plans for Bohemia...

In this episode, all of my neighbors show their love for Bohemia by launching unprovoked invasions. At the same time, the brave Duke Bretislav of Bohemia passes away, leaving the throne to his son Boleslav. Will Duke Boleslav be able to continue his father's successful defensive wars, or will Bohemia fall to the hordes of enemies? In any case, the Polish army must be finally crushed and the Hungarian invasion repelled if any successful defense against the Holy Roman Empire is to be mounted.

In this episode, we have a decisive battle at the last Polish city, and Duke Boleslav has to hold off attackers from all directions. The Kingdom of Denmark decides to enter the fray. Can Bohemia hold off attacks from all sides?

It looks like this campaign really challenges the player to make the most of your limited resources, and winning battles matters a lot. It also seems that moving your Duke to a place where he can be most useful is really important. Good update!

Thanks Alwyn! Yes, in Chivalry the king's knights are definitely one of the most critical units, especially if you have a small/poor faction.

In this episode, the Duke of Bohemia launches a punitive expedition against the Holy Roman Empire and comes face to face with large HRE armies. At the same time, Poland launches a counterattack and the Hungarians continue their assaults on the southeast. The traitorous Kingdom of Denmark also continues to attack in the north.

In this episode, the tides finally begin to turn as Duke Boleslav destroys several invasion attempts by the Holy Roman Empire and campaigns deeper into Imperial territory.

The final episode of the Bohemian campaign! After fighting several tough battles against our foes and getting betrayed by all our neighbors, the second Bohemian army stands at the gates of the capital of the Holy Roman Empire, Augsburg... will Bohemia fail, or will it overcome all the odds to crush its biggest foe?

The opening battle in part 6 looked challenging because of the number of enemy troops; you made very effective use of the speed of your knights and of the height advantage.

AARs like this remind me I still have a lot to learn about truly challenging campaigns