Thread: Any recommended DEI 2 videos of player v AI battles?

Default Any recommended DEI 2 videos of player v AI battles?

I am very impressed with DEI's campaign features and graphics.

I am playing my first Rome campaign and probably have already won. But I am finding combat monotonous and tedious. I mainly win. I cannot afford to always auto-resolve and take the staggering losses auto-resolve dishes out.

So, I end up 50% though the fight with blob battles where I am breaking weaker units to try to create panic rippling. From time to time, I will flank with cavalry deep to get archers or a general or hit the back of formations. And sometimes, I will pull some heavy infantry out off to the flanks, and then reengage. (I mention this as I have seen these suggestions made. I do understand the TW engine and am not a total noob. Like I will hold missiles when facing elephants, and then let lose with everything at the elephants.)

But mainly, it is inelegant blob battles.

One might say it is grog versus arcade ... I am used to games that require combined arms and generally keep the integrity of different type of units distinct.

So, I am looking for some DEI combat video (not MP matches) that show the use of player forces. Perhaps, the problem is not the TW engine, but just how I am playing.

Thanks.

Default Re: Any recommended DEI 2 videos of player v AI battles?

Hi,

How about you record yours and share with us?

Cheers

Recording is not a problem as I have NVida shadow player and an SSD. So, I get lag free recordings. Although I do need very intensive video compression.

But the real problem is no YouTube account, and I am more interested in learn than showing off.

Hello, I'm posting a playthrough on my Rome 2 DEI campaign soon on my channel, perhaps you would be interested? I've played the game for years and a veteran at being efficient with unit controls, and making it not tedious to play the game. I know exactly what you meant.

For now, one cause could be because you are playing on ultra unit size; I do recommend against using that unit size as siege battles and sometimes even field battles become very blobbed and units bugging

Thank you for you thoughts.

No, I have been playing on medium. The battle field and especial structures feel very crowded on ultra; and there is also the issue of performance.

If you take 40 infantry units and pull them 4-5 ranks deep across the map, the frontage is practically the map.

I tried a number of full DEI YouTube campaigns just skipping to the battles by using the mouse preview feature. I didn't learn much. So, I started doing custom battles.

Yes, you can reduce blobbing by being proactive commanding your units.

But I think KAM hit the game mechanics on the head that cause blobbing by default:

* The units are really modeled as a point which is the location of the unit flag.

* Individual elements of the unit do meet some resistance moving through the enemy, but essentially all units are porous.

In summary, attacks push towards flags and like the atomic world, most of units in combat is empty space. Thus, blobs is the natural state of unmanaged combat; meaning you are not constantly reforming and hitting flanks. (I have tried discipline and hold formation, but it was not so effective.)

So, blobbing seems natural and if you can get the upper hand blobs will snowball into ever more deadly blobs as the enemy breaks.