Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putin: "Hack everything and everyone. All day, every day"

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Default Putin: "Hack everything and everyone. All day, every day"

“No country has weaponized its cyber capabilities as maliciously and irresponsibly as Russia, wantonly causing unprecedented collateral damage to pursue small tactical advantages as fits of spite,” Assistant Attorney General John Demers, the Justice Department’s top national security official, said at a news conference announcing the case.

- https://apnews.com/article/technolog...33e84378c6c805
    Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab on Monday claimed Unit 74455 of Russia's military intelligence agency, the GRU, had launched a swathe of cyber attacks against the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic games before the events were postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

- https://www.theage.com.au/world/euro...20-p566mt.html
    Six men accused of carrying out some of the world's most destructive hacks—including the NotPetya disk wiper and power grid attacks that knocked out electricity for hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians—have been indicted in US federal court

- https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...acks-indicted/
    It's about time we had a Russian hacking thread...

6 men are accused of being GRU operatives and have been charged in absentia with a vast array of cyber attacks. These attacks are outlined in a 50 page indictment and include NotPetya, the 2017 disk-wiping worm that shut down the operations of thousands of companies and government agencies around the world, The 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea and 2020 Olympics in Tokyo in retaliation for accusations of Russian drug cheating, the 2016 Ukranian power grid attacks, the 2017 French elections, the 2018 attacks on Georgia, and a host of sports related bodies involved with anti-doping measures between 2015 and 2019. Amongst other things.

The US elections are not in the charges, but some of those charged are the same "Russian operatives" that investigation uncovered. During the operations, they often sought to disguise their actions as those of Chinese or North Korean hacking groups in order to disrupt relations between those countries and the rest of the world.

We've all known about these attacks, they've been background to our internet lives for years. We've also know they were probably state sponsored rather than patriotic or anarchic kids. But it's interesting to see an entire swathe of disruption officially linked together under a single umbrella case for the first time. These charges are largely symbolic, but they do represent a growing sense of frustration by governments around the world.

Is this timing on the eve of US elections suspicious? Would there be fallout from publicly accusing Russian agents as pretending to be Chinese when hacking? Am I taking my digital life into my hands for even posting this thread?

Many other questions... many... the best questions...
    Last edited by antaeus; October 19, 2020 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Last edited by GRU. Added obfuscating comments.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Default Re: Putin: "Hack everything and everyone. All day, every day"

Sounds like pro-Democrat media is already preparing another horse corpse beating session to justify their party's upcoming landslide loss. "Russian hackers stole the election from Biden" and blablabla.
    The only worrying aspect is that Democrats themselves could use this to refuse to concede and get their leftist militants to start another wave of violence.
    The secondary goal is likely an attempt to damage control recent revelations on ties between China's Communist Party and Democrats, which ironically resemble claims Democrats themselves made against GOP's alleged ties to Russia.

What do Ukrainians and the Tokyo Olympics have to do with Democrats? Are you suggesting the 2016 power grid attacks on Ukraine were made up? What purpose would the Australian news media I linked to have in playing into an American Democrat narrative?

In other words, are you suggesting that this global conspiracy is all about the American Democrats?

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Sounds like pro-Democrat media is already preparing another horse corpse beating session to justify their party's upcoming landslide loss. "Russian hackers stole the election from Biden" and blablabla.
    The only worrying aspect is that Democrats themselves could use this to refuse to concede and get their leftist militants to start another wave of violence.
    The secondary goal is likely an attempt to damage control recent revelations on ties between China's Communist Party and Democrats, which ironically resemble claims Democrats themselves made against GOP's alleged ties to Russia.
    When you get so triggered, you don't even bother reading the OP.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Moscow has made no secret of their contempt for the Transatlantic Alliance and the internationalist world order that makes much more costly the sort of unilateral objectives the Kremlin seeks in order to secure hegemony. This includes territorial expansion as well as political and social destabilization of current and historical adversaries. Cyber warfare is simply a low-cost, high-impact way to wage asymmetric war outside the traditional framework of international norms while maintaining plausible deniability. The only way to mitigate the threat permanently is regime change, and that’s not happening any time soon. Best buckle up for a seemingly endless war of geopolitical attrition, because hacking and information warfare are just a couple tools in the arsenal.
    The chief of Russia’s armed forces endorsed on Saturday the kind of tactics used by his country to intervene abroad, repeating a philosophy of so-called hybrid war that has earned him notoriety in the West, especially among American officials who have accused Russia of election meddling in 2016.

At a conference on the future of Russian military strategy, Gen. Valery V. Gerasimov, the chief of the general staff, said countries bring a blend of political, economic and military power to bear against adversaries.
    The speech outlined what some Western analysts consider the signature strategy of Russia under President Vladimir V. Putin — and what other experts call a simple recognition of modern war and politics.

General Gerasimov said Russia’s armed forces must maintain both “classical” and “asymmetrical” potential, using jargon for the mix of combat, intelligence and propaganda tools that the Kremlin has deployed in conflicts such as Syria and Ukraine.

And he cited the Syrian civil war as an example of successful Russian intervention abroad. The combination of a small expeditionary force with “information” operations had provided lessons that could be expanded to “defend and advance national interests beyond the borders of Russia,” he said.

The speech was noteworthy for echoing themes General Gerasimov laid out in an article published in 2013 in The Military-Industrial Courier, a Russian army journal, and which many now see as a foreshadowing of the country’s embrace of “hybrid war” in Ukraine, where Russia has backed separatist rebels and used soldiers in unmarked uniforms to seize Crimea.

The article and speech may also have a message for rivals at home. Pavel Felgenhauer, a military analyst and columnist in Moscow for the newspaper Novaya Gazeta, said military hard-liners often promote the idea of Russia being in a limbo between war and peace because it helps them in internal government disputes, giving them greater sway over foreign policy.

Promoting the idea is also consistent, he said, with using the G.R.U. to target Western countries. The message, he said, is “we don’t care what the West thinks, we are enemies.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/02/w...gerasimov.html
    First came a destabilization campaign in Moldova, followed by the poisoning of an arms dealer in Bulgaria and then a thwarted coup in Montenegro. Last year, there was an attempt to assassinate a former Russian spy in Britain using a nerve agent. Though the operations bore the fingerprints of Russia’s intelligence services, the authorities initially saw them as isolated, unconnected attacks.

Western security officials have now concluded that these operations, and potentially many others, are part of a coordinated and ongoing campaign to destabilize Europe, executed by an elite unit inside the Russian intelligence system skilled in subversion, sabotage and assassination.

The group, known as Unit 29155, has operated for at least a decade, yet Western officials only recently discovered it. Intelligence officials in four Western countries say it is unclear how often the unit is mobilized and warn that it is impossible to know when and where its operatives will strike.

The purpose of Unit 29155, which has not been previously reported, underscores the degree to which the Russian president, Vladimir V. Putin, is actively fighting the West with his brand of so-called hybrid warfare — a blend of propaganda, hacking attacks and disinformation — as well as open military confrontation.

“I think we had forgotten how organically ruthless the Russians could be,” said Peter Zwack, a retired military intelligence officer and former defense attaché at the United States Embassy in Moscow, who said he was not aware of the unit’s existence

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/08/w...ussia-gru.html
    I agree with Zwack’s sentiment and I’ll add that the West has forgotten at their own peril, dismissing post-USSR Russia as a backwater has-been for no apparent reason beyond simple hubris born of survivor’s bias. One will recall that the Cold War certainly could have gone the other way at any number of points or phases, to say the least, regardless of the dramatically diminished state the Kremlin finds herself in since then.
    “The Russians are actively seeking to divide our alliance, and we must not allow that to happen,” Dan Coats, the director of national intelligence, warned separately in a speech in France the day after the June 7 accident in Lithuania.

Over the past year, the United States and its NATO allies completed positioning about 4,500 soldiers in the three Baltic States and Poland, and have stationed several thousand other armored troops mostly in Eastern Europe as a deterrent to Russian aggression.

Moscow is flexing its conventional might, too, sending military forces for its own exercises along its western border with Europe and also to Syria and eastern Ukraine. Additionally, Russia is building up its nuclear arsenal and cyberwarfare prowess in what American military officials call an attempt to prove its relevance after years of economic decline and retrenchment.

In response, the Pentagon has stepped up training rotations and exercises on the territory of newer NATO allies in the east, including along a narrow 60-mile-wide stretch of rolling Polish farmland near the Lithuanian border northeast of here called the Suwalki Gap. The corridor is sandwiched between the heavily militarized Russian exclave of Kaliningrad and Moscow’s ally Belarus, and is considered NATO’s weak spot on its eastern flank.

“If you are a small nation, you have to have good, strong allies,” said Colonel Steponavicius, who has served combat tours in Afghanistan and Iraq. “When we have such a neighbor, allies matter.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/27/u...d-warfare.html
    At a time when geopolitical and military retrenchment/retreat is a viable topic in increasingly chaotic US domestic politics, foreign manipulation and exploitation of divisions and weaknesses, including cyberattacks and disinformation campaigns, will only amplify. The US may not be in a position to be the traditional guarantor of global security while facing enemies from within and without. Europe must prepare to stand on her own, including Canzuk and a standing European coalition army that can deal with indefinite conflict and aggression from Russia and other bad actors who share Moscow’s nefarious interests.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

LoZz's Avatar who are you?

I get its a thing, but I can't help but feel it is a tad over exaggerated. They were accused of "hacking" in Brexit. I think the only thing that have proven to have done is buy a few pro-Brexit Facebook add's. In the last US elections there was no evidence that they altered anyone's vote, or fiddled with ballots. They didn't cause power-cuts on election day to stop ballots working in pro-democrat areas. They posted a few pro-Trump meme's. Not exactly blowing my socks off in terms of scope or involvement. I get its a bit more then that and they have 1000's of twitter accounts but i think compared to domestic media, its still small fry.

P.S. I'm not a Russian Bot.

Quote Originally Posted by LoZz View Post
    That is exactly what a Russian Bot would say...

“But I’m not guilty,” said K. “there’s been a mistake. How is it even possible for someone to be guilty? We’re all human beings here, one like the other.” “That is true” said the priest “but that is how the guilty speak”

Praeses

Cyber warfare these days is the new submarine Cold War, I'm sure loads of treasure and not a few lives are being burned up and we hardly see a thing.

We're seeing background interference in Australia ATM, the few people I know in IT security say China is having a few swipes at us but I wouldn't know how high or low intensity it is. I have no doubt our US friends are also swiping, and the Russians are saying as little or less about it. I don't see the US as surprised by this, its not hacker Pearl Harbour. The US has enjoyed some celebrated (as much as these things are) on line attacks eg STUXNET.

Its interesting that the US has taken the opportunity to act as a police force for Japan and Ukraine, those are some forward positions around Russia. Maybe its a geopolitical signal?
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Quote Originally Posted by LoZz View Post
    I get its a thing, but I can't help but feel it is a tad over exaggerated. They were accused of "hacking" in Brexit. I think the only thing that have proven to have done is buy a few pro-Brexit Facebook add's. In the last US elections there was no evidence that they altered anyone's vote, or fiddled with ballots. They didn't cause power-cuts on election day to stop ballots working in pro-democrat areas. They posted a few pro-Trump meme's. Not exactly blowing my socks off in terms of scope or involvement. I get its a bit more then that and they have 1000's of twitter accounts but i think compared to domestic media, its still small fry.

The word "hacking" probably does this a disservice. It brings to mind kids in 1990s movies dressed cyber goth and hacking their local high school to change their grades. It makes it seem like harmless fun and thumbing your nose at the system.

In the Ukraine power grid attack, hundreds of thousands and potentially over the year millions of people's homes, businesses and government agencies lost power. Including ageing infrastructure like hospitals, supermarkets, security agencies... lives were likely lost.

And the offices these agents work from are not teenager's bedrooms, they're massive facilities with large open plan offices with thousands of desks, security on the gates, they have cafeterias and coke machines in the lobby. If you think of it in this way, an industrial scale operation to disrupt global infrastructure in order to cause damage, then maybe it looks a little more like the real deal...

And the idea isn't to change the way people vote, it's to delegitimise the system they live in. To reduce trust.
    Last edited by antaeus; October 19, 2020 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irontaino View Post
    When you get so triggered, you don't even bother reading the OP.
    To be fair he might have a point here if the American media is talking the story up (which I haven't seen, but I might have just missed it.)

Quote Originally Posted by antaeus View Post
    What do Ukrainians and the Tokyo Olympics have to do with Democrats? Are you suggesting the 2016 power grid attacks on Ukraine were made up? What purpose would the Australian news media I linked to have in playing into an American Democrat narrative?

In other words, are you suggesting that this global conspiracy is all about the American Democrats?
    Because those indictments are same thing as a Gulf theocracy sentencing a cartoonist living in Europe to death for drawing a picture mocking Muhammad. There won't be a trial to determine the truth of the allegations, since Russians will obvious till American alphabet people to go themselves, just like Russians would be told to go themselves if roles were reversed. It seems that American intelligence chickenhawks just have a bone to pick on Russia, probably from being mentally stuck in Cold War era. Or just empty posturing to distract the public from the Biden leaks, given the timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Because those indictments are same thing as a Gulf theocracy sentencing a cartoonist living in Europe to death for drawing a picture mocking Muhammad. There won't be a trial to determine the truth of the allegations, since Russians will obvious till American alphabet people to go themselves, just like Russians would be told to go themselves if roles were reversed. It seems that American intelligence chickenhawks just have a bone to pick on Russia, probably from being mentally stuck in Cold War era. Or just empty posturing to distract the public from the Biden leaks, given the timing.
    I think I need to send that sentence to Reply All to help me interpret what you're saying...

Who are alphabet people?

Why are chickenhawks picking on Russia? Is this a code name for an intelligence agency?

So many questions...

I think I need to send that sentence to Reply All to help me interpret what you're saying...
    Russians will obviously tell American alphabet people to pound sand...

Who are alphabet people?
    The people employed in various US agencies (DOJ, FBI, CIA etc...).

Why are chickenhawks picking on Russia? Is this a code name for an intelligence agency?
    He is referring generally to intelligence agents/analysts who are still fighting the cold war.

So many questions...
    HTH

Who are alphabet people?

So many questions...
    Alphabet people has two meanings, but in this case I'm guessing that it's in reference to the FBI, CIA, NSA, etc. The "Alphabet Agencies."

Chickenhawks is an American term to refer to war hawks who actively avoid the actual war themselves, the Clintons and Bushes are usually used as examples of chickenhawks.

In the case of the chickenhawks he's honestly pretty much right, the old neoconservative and neoliberal factions in the government really like picking fights with Russia, Hillary even wanted a no fly zone over Syria (for no real reason at all) a few years back, this could have resulted in actual conflict between the US and Russia.

Thanks for the explanations anyways guys!

Didn't Hilary want a no-fly zone to try to stop Assad dropping barrels of high explosives out of helicopter windows onto inner city neighbourhoods? /off topic All politicians are chickenhawks.

Didn't Hilary want a no-fly zone to try to stop Assad dropping barrels of high explosives out of helicopter windows onto inner city neighbourhoods?
    No.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

This is simply more proof that there can never be peace with Russia. We must fight them on every front, whether Syria, Ukraine, or cyberspace. Our very survival is on the line.

Further, we should destroy Russia as a viable economy by sanctions and enacting the Green New Deal to shut off the burning of fossil fuels in 10-20 years. Their GDP and currency will plummet and their bonds, which are already a laughing stock of the world, will be basically worthless. Then let them starve.

Thanks for the explanations anyways guys!

Didn't Hilary want a no-fly zone to try to stop Assad dropping barrels of high explosives out of helicopter windows onto inner city neighbourhoods? /off topic All politicians are chickenhawks.
    I don't remember her excuse, but whatever it was it was nonsensical.

Agreed that all politicians tend to be chickenhawks, but some are less bad than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus2185 View Post
    Agreed that all politicians tend to be chickenhawks, but some are less bad than others.
    Let me guess... the ones you like are less bad than the others?

Back on topic...

Re: whether American media is taking up the story... I know Fox is running it, but not editorialising yet (always the sign they think it's important). None of the liberals seem to be headlining it. Which is interesting in itself. It is headline news globally outside the US. But I think within the US there's wariness of Russia hacking stories at the moment...

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

You guys are remarkably happy about believing just about every claim your intelligence services throw at you. Well I've got WMD's in the Iraqi desert to sell to you. If they were a trustworthy good faith actor, they would not have built a toolset with the purpose of making their code look foreign. Any security expert worth their salt without skin in the game will tell you that malware attacks are usually not attributable.

But sure. Enjoy your neoMcCarthyist reality where any attempts at rapprochement, and even on issues completely unrelated to Russia can be dealt with through "muh Russia".

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast