Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Gal Gadot to play Cleopatra

Default Re: Gal Gadot to play Cleopatra

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Deleterious mutations are removed from a population through purifying selection, meaning those who are less fit have less offspring.
    "Potentially because they killed each other a lot."

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Nobles, the cream of the crop

Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Potentially because they killed each other a lot. Every person has a random number of de novo mutations. Most of these are neutral, occasionally they are deleterious, only extremely rarely are they adaptive. Often, when a person has a deleterious mutation at a particular locus, it has little or no effect, because it’s simply non-functional, which means the other allele at the same locus either completely, or at least partially, compensates for it. The problem with inbreeding is that it increases the odds of an individual inheriting two copies of the same deleterious mutation. Deleterious mutations are removed from a population through purifying selection, meaning those who are less fit have less offspring. You certainly know the history better than I do, but I get the impression that the ruthless internal politics of the dynasty could have acted as a pretty strong selection pressure.
    So, basically, Social Darwinism compensates for incest?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernXY View Post
    By the end of the Austrian line, I think Leopold I and wife were so closely related they had as much DNA in common as a brother and sister. The Habsburg Jaw appeared quite early in their line after they became rulers of the HRE. Maximilian I had rather a weak chin by the paintings I've seen
    His underlip though ....

I can see it a bit there. This picture shows less of an underbite. Nothing close to Charles V.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser101 View Post
    So, basically, Social Darwinism compensates for incest?
    Just people acting out of self-interest in brutal competition, which would on average weed out anyone with deleterious mutations that led to mental or social disadvantages. Social environments create specific selection pressures, but Social Darwinism tends to be more of an ideological term, which is broadly applied to various movements/theoretical frameworks from the latter half of the 19th to the first half of the 20th centuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Not to get too off topic but cousin incest is a real problem in the Middle East/Islam, from Guinea to Morocco to India to Brunei (skipping Thailand).

Apparently the Ptolemies adopting incest was a big requirement over converting to the Egyptian faith.
    Last edited by NorthernXY; June 07, 2023 at 08:37 AM.

What's the deal with Canada?
    Then again, Pakistan (and Niger?) seems to be majority cousin-incestuous).
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    There are small communities scattered across Canada with a limited population. Since most of Canada is not densely populated. Don't know if part of that number includes people from India, Pakistan, and Middle Eastern countries.

True about Latin America, there is lots of first cousin marriage. Even more when it comes to second cousins, third cousins, etc. Don't know what the reason is. I assume geography is part of it here as well. Where in many countries like Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia there are smaller communities that are effectively trapped behind mountains or within valleys.

People don't move around that much. But I assume that social mobility is also a factor. Or perhaps socially cousin marriage is more accepted. Perhaps cousins have an easier time making bonds, I don't know. That map seems off to me because I expected there to be more.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; June 07, 2023 at 07:19 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Was talking with my sister who has a friend who tutors/teaches in the Middle East and the incest problem is a noticeable one with their intelligence.

I was going to make a joke about their winters be so cold and long anyone would start to look good but most of Canada's population is within 100 miles of the U.S. border.

^Why is there a largish dot literally in the middle of nowhere?

I'm assuming you mean Edmonton, the capital of Alberta, metro population around 1,000,000. They got to the Rocky Mountains and decided they were to lazy to go over the mountains. Joking aside, no real idea after a brief search, sort of at the up end other North American Grain Belt.

Patrician

Because that is where the oil is located. So in the past 20 years they have really developed that area in the province called Alberta.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

I mean this one, which is in the northwest territories, but to the south of the lake:

Patrician

I mean this one, which is in the northwest territories, but to the south of the lake:
    Those dots are the capitals of those northern territories (federal controlled regions) in the Yukon, North West Territories, and Nunavut. They were originally populated by Natives and miners and such.

I still don't see the point of living half a continent away from any sea, in an area with the population density of a desert
    Are they at least on anything resembling a river? (not that it'd stay navigable all year)

Patrician

I still don't see the point of living half a continent away from any sea, in an area with the population density of a desert
    Are they at least on anything resembling a river? (not that it'd stay navigable all year)
    They have rivers and lakes. They don't get used that much, especially in the winter. So these areas rely on highways, small airplanes, and helicopters. But almost no one lives up there anyway. People who move there tend to be hunting enthusiasts, truckers, miners etc. Those areas are obviously terrible to live in and have many problems such as health issues and unemployment. But they are also controlled by the mob since the mob uses those distant locations as part of their trafficking networks.

Patrician

Potentially because they killed each other a lot. Every person has a random number of de novo mutations. Most of these are neutral, occasionally they are deleterious, only extremely rarely are they adaptive. Often, when a person has a deleterious mutation at a particular locus, it has little or no effect, because it’s simply non-functional, which means the other allele at the same locus either completely, or at least partially, compensates for it. The problem with inbreeding is that it increases the odds of an individual inheriting two copies of the same deleterious mutation. Deleterious mutations are removed from a population through purifying selection, meaning those who are less fit have less offspring. You certainly know the history better than I do, but I get the impression that the ruthless internal politics of the dynasty could have acted as a pretty strong selection pressure.
    From what I understand the Hapsburg jaw already existed. But in the 1400's the some of the Hapsburgs did have the jaw. Which I assume did not come into existence due to inbreeding. But was passed down to Charles V who was one of the most notable examples. Then some of the descendants of Charles V and his brother Ferdinand I, who intermarried, had the jaw as well as some plain ugly faces, the latter probably due to inbreeding.

Overall I poorly explained the situation and gave a false impression of the Hapsburg Jaw. At least I think so anyway.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345