Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gal Gadot to play Cleopatra

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Gal Gadot to play Cleopatra

Is it the yearly festival of providing cat grass to indoor cats?

----

Per the post before

Personalty I think its hard to beat Theta Bara

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

OK costume has no relation to reality but man got to love pre code Hollywood.

Well I think your right they could retread the material with some bigger (and supposedly) better CGI battles. They could go small and focus on just her as sympathetic character trying both reach out to the Egyptians and trying to navigate the Roman civil wars by any means to retain some kind of independence but that seems like too much work. You are likely right a shrug movie at best.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Exactly it is going to be a low effort forgettable movie. The only reason they chose Cleopatra was for the spectacle. Now the Liz Taylor film was intended to be a personal project because the original director was interested in the historical Cleopatra, and because the studio was planning to remake the 1920's picture in order to make a quick buck.

The 1963 movie was nearly a travesty and reeks of studio incompetence. Since the producer had no idea what he was doing they had to default to the director. But then the director was removed entirely because the production was ground to a standstill due to some absurd and avoidable issues, and because they had no script. In all likelihood the director was not to blame and he was scapegoated by the studio. They got a different guy because Liz Taylor recommended him and apparently she had tremendous pull on this film. She was being catered to in every way possible and her face was plastered on all of the related media. They had to replace most of the cast, maybe for the better, move production down to Italy, and Liz Taylor came out of this with over $1 million and a vacation. The studio lost Osiris knows how many millions on this, probably never actually made its losses in the box office, maybe not even through home video.

The 1963 film was definitely the result of ineptitude on various levels. This movie doesn't sound like it will be any different. Save for the fact that it is not being used as a vehicle for one actress to actually further her career but a questionable studio decision none the less. Though she was famous enough to be selected, the 1963 movie catapulted Liz Taylor and put her decidedly ahead of other actresses like Grace Kelley, Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe. That said the movie revolved around the duo of Elizabeth Taylor AND Richard Burton, but undoubtedly Rex Harris and Roddy McDowall added their acting skills to save this movie from what was otherwise a fairly bland drama.

Gal Gadot simply doesn't have the acting ability to carry this movie. The director will be ing Patty Jenkins for sake. Who by the way also directed Gal Gadot in two Wonder Woman films... this has to be some kind of nepotism at this point. The studio is Paramount of all things, which according to IMDB "Paramount won the rights in an intense bidding war that included Universal, Netflix, Apple and Warner Bros." so make of that what you will, by which I mean negatively. Apparently Sony is also making their own Cleopatra movie, except theirs is actually based on the Stacy Schiff novel, which I didn't know was a thing. Gal Gadot has a writing credit for her film because she apparently came up with the interpretation of this narrative, whatever that means.

The 1963 film at least had spectacle and a massive ad campaign on its side. It had hype, and the embarrassments just added to the hype. Cleopatra 2020 is a thing that exists but no one really cares about. So yeah studios do things because reasons. A remake of the 1963 at best, and at worst some vacuous nonsense like "Marie Antoinette" or Horus forbid something bland and awful like... "The King". shudders

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

The Taylor movie would have just looked cheap with CGI.
    I am not even sure if I have watched that from beginning to end (doubt it), bit I certainly recall a number of impressive visuals, and not all of them due to huge numbers of people and massive props.

A sense of direction is obviously also important. Eg compare how the (2000s) original 300 did, compared to the ridiculous flop 300 2.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    The Taylor movie would have just looked cheap with CGI.
    I am not even sure if I have watched that from beginning to end (doubt it), bit I certainly recall a number of impressive visuals, and not all of them due to huge numbers of people and massive props.

A sense of direction is obviously also important. Eg compare how the (2000s) original 300 did, compared to the ridiculous flop 300 2.
    It is too soon to tell what this Cleopatra 2020 thing will be like. But seeing as they have nobodies involved in making this film, it will probably not be that impressive. It certainly appears that they have no direction or vision for this film. Paramount which has been on the decline for maybe a decade or more, had to bid to get this movie for some dumb reason. So taking that into account, it is probably fair to say that this is just studios being studios and squeezing out unimpressive movies.

Would be interesting to know what is going on within the studio with regards to the making of this film, but we probably won't. I doubt that this is an attempt by Paramount to put itself back on the map. Same with the 1963 Cleopatra, which was just 20th Century Fox trying to make an easy profit with a remake. It was actually the failures of early filming that led to them doubling down and trying to market this as the spectacle of the ages. Additional advertising, gossip, Liz Taylor and Richard Burton's scandalous history and so on, ended up helping that film by accident. But these issues should not have happened in the first place. Assuming that Paramount is incompetent at worst for making Cleopatra 2020, they still don't have any of those scandals in their favor.

They probably won't go out of their way to make this a spectacle or give it a massive budget. For them it is likely just a small victory in an uphill battle at best, and another flop and questionable executive decision at worst.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

I think that there also just isn't a market for some of the planned remakes. If the previous movie is famous, you are unlikely to do well, and recently we saw various terrible remakes.
    One such was the stupid remake of Murder on the Orient Express. The original had far more (and more important for its day) superstars than the dumb Johnie Depp remake
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Patrician

Johnny Depp is still alive??? I thought he overdosed ages ago.

Yeah I hear you. Remakes are just a cash grab by the studios.

The trend that kind of worked for a bit was remaking a film into a TV series. The end result was okay. Usually I'm going to stick with the originals.

By the way this isn't even the only Cleopatra film out there. Sony is making one as well. Back in 1999 there was this awful movie starring Timothy Dalton, Billy Zaine, and an actress that I have never seen in anything as Cleopatra. Anyone who complained about the 1963 film would find the 1999 ABC film disgusting.

When Fox made their original in 1917, there was already a movie in 1912 by Helen Gardner, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer put one out in 1928, Paramount did one in 1934. Even Vivien Leigh (Gone with the Wind) played Cleopatra in the 1945 Caesar and Cleopatra, an adaptation of a Bernard Shaw novel, and in several stage plays. The 1963 is relevant because of the cultural impact, Elizabeth Taylor, and a ridiculous budget. It is a shame that not that many people know the inner workings of these studios. There is stuff even spicier than in the movies.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; February 09, 2022 at 09:09 AM.

kambiz's Avatar Ordinarius

Firstly it needs to be clreaed that if the movie is a comic like 300 ? or semi-historical like Alexander ? or going to be fully loyal to history no matter what ?(which rarely happens in hollywood if at all). if the movie is either of former options then it doesn't matter who the cast are. But if there is 0.00001 % chance the movie is the 3rd option and so gonna totally stick to history ,then Cleopatra's cast must be someone greek/macedonian looking and maybe with little dose of egyptian !!!

Patrician

Well it should not be Egyptian at all. Gal Gadot probably looks okay for the role although she would not have been my first pick. Actually I don't know who I could even cast but personally it would be a Greek or Italian actress. The girl they got in HBO Rome wasn't bad, the one in the National Geographic documentary probably looked the best for the role. Elizabeth Taylor was too distracting, and I don't mean because of her assets. Vivien Leigh works as a stage play.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Seems to me the best route if you make a decent movie is more or less skip Caesar and do it as some sort of Tragedy with just Anthony and Cleopatra. Make Octavian a bully and and the villain. Paint him has in fact usurping Caesar's legacy and betraying Caesar's friend and old captain. That allows room for Cleopatra to look a like equal and Octavian's rhetoric to look more like smear job. Then you get to go out with the Actium and the results, but not try and squish in the other battles of the civil war or expect anyone follow all the jarring changes.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

So it seems that due to the director and the actress not being that promising, this film will be another Immortals

How Cleopatra actually looked:

Patrician

Immortals was pretty absurd. I guess it was trying to ride the 300 hype. A lot of these new sword and sandal type movies are pretty forgettable. The worst ones being Exodus Gods and Kings, and Pompeii.

Helena Nathanael would also have been a good Cleopatra:

Let's face it, Gadot is a toad next to them

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Helena Nathanael
    Her surname means "gift of God" in Hebrew. Another way to say it, if you really think you're God's gift and consider yourself on a first name basis with him, is Netanyahu. I assume it became a Greek surname because of the guy in the Gospel of John.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

I want to think that she just got the name cause she was divine

Patrician

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ZRSwul7cE

Although Cleopatra 2025 (at this rate) will probably be better than Cleopatra 2525.

Patrician

Seems this garbage got cancelled along with its director.

I want to take this moment to thank Allah, Ra-Horakhty, Amun-Ra, Zeus, Zeus-Amon, Serapis, or any combination of those deities.

Canceled? Really? (not that I would be against it)

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Pinarius View Post
    Canceled? Really? (not that I would be against it)
    Well first Arabs made a fuss that Cleopatra would be played by an Israeli. That probably was not the deciding factor though. Doubt studios cared. But then the director Patty Jenkins was outed as having slept with an underage boy or something. So she got canceled and then they canned the movie as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Well first Arabs made a fuss that Cleopatra would be played by an Israeli. That probably was not the deciding factor though. Doubt studios cared. But then the director Patty Jenkins was outed as having slept with an underage boy or something. So she got canceled and then they canned the movie as well.
    Plot twist: The boy was sent by the egyptians.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast