Thread: Faction Leader Went Evil

Default Faction Leader Went Evil

Uh... my faction leader (Reunited Kingdom, the guy you start with) just went shadow cult with the Shadow touched trait. Its a little inconvenient given that my smaller, less developed or peripheral settlements now default to Shadow Cult (massive public order hit). Is this supposed to happen (a bit like Denathor slowly going nuts in the third age) or have I encountered a bit of a glitch?

Maybe I spent too much time in a settlement with a still-intact shadow cult temple or something. But the guy has pretty much been on the move since turn one. Its particularly jarring since he has personally fought off multiple Adunabar and Haradrim invasions, seized back Minas Ithil, and is pretty much the biggest thorn in the side for the shadow cult right now (his son's up kicking ass in Arnor, and between the two of them they've pretty much cut the shadow cult out of the western side of the Reunited Kingdom, and are just waiting for an opportunity to move East).

I'm not complaining; paragons going mad and turning evil is practically a Middle Earth rite of passage after all. But it does put a bit of a damper on my campaign; I basically need Followers of the West governors to keep my newer settlements under control now.
    Last edited by Napoleon Complex; October 15, 2020 at 05:04 PM.

Default Re: Faction Leader Went Evil

It's not a glitch, just a random trait that can pop up. What you can do is put him into a settlement with a high-tier cultural conversion building, ideally Minas Anor. Sometimes that can help convert him back. Sometimes even loading a savegame resets the religion of some FMs. If noting else works, you could send him on a little field trip...
    Also, make sure that your forts eventually get the third tier of conversion building, that one always ensures WotW alignment irrespective of the faction leader's religion. I'd prioritise Amon Sûl (in case you can't develop them all at once), since that one's the farthest from your capital and also the most crucial fort in early campaign.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

I'd say you're pretty unlucky to have the starting FL go bad, but as Athanaric says it is a possibility. As long as he's still only shadow touched you've got a good chance to turn him back though, using the method outlined above.

@Athanaric, I'm glad someone noticed about the forts alignment, that was not an accident! I always hated how they switched to whatever alignment the faction leader had.

This is just a sort of glitch but I remember in the original Russian version of the Call of Warhammer mod you could get an event that turns an Empire state into a Chaos worshipping one. Fine enough when it happens to one you don't particularly like, a lot worse when it happens to you and you don't want it.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!