Thread: WARNING: Do NOT enable forts unless your computer rocks.

Default WARNING: Do NOT enable forts unless your computer rocks.

I am playing as Portugal, I am attacking Tunis, the last holdout of the Barbary Pirate scum, and the lag is so terrible that I can't even play the battle. They have a Star Fort. After my 12 pounders fired at their wall for awhile the game just became so slow that I couldn't do anything. 4X speed did nothing at all really.

DON'T DO IT! Maybe if your computer is great you can, but mine is not.

Maybe if I try to storm the walls it will be different, but I don't think I should risk it.

When the battle is a sally battle that is different. It does not seem to cause the same lag. I wish I had not enabled forts. I might have to either start over without Forts or just siege every single fort out when I cannot autoresolve. Very disappointing, but I know it is a vanilla bug and I'm bet there isn't a thing I can do.

Default Re: WARNING: Do NOT enable forts unless your computer rocks.

Indeed had that on the Darthmod too. The bigger the fort the bigger the trouble as it looks that the smokes from the artillery and the burning parts of the fort mad it worse.

Yeah, it is a shame. You really should be able to use forts in this kind of game, but I just can't.

Another thing is the AI is not good at attacking at all, especially when they are reinforcing.

With the lag caused by artillery, I just can't bombard the walls. My choices are

A.) just storm the walls, taking tons of casualties
    B.) have Howitzers, and exploit AI passiveness
    C.) wait till they sally

Edit: about my campaign, I ended up waiting for a sally. It was an incredibly bloody battle, VH battles really does that in a game like Empire.
    Last edited by Steward Denethor II; November 05, 2020 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Denethor II View Post
    Yeah, it is a shame. You really should be able to use forts in this kind of game, but I just can't.
    And thinking that we can attack cities in Medieval and Rome (1 and 2) Total War makes it bitter.
    That what was missing in Empire and Napoléon: possibility to have sieges of parts of a city like Narva or Smolensk.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Denethor II View Post

My choices is

1. have Howitzers exploiting AI passiveness expecialy regiments waiting in the center of the fortress
    2. storm the walls to finish the job.
    3. have the cavalery slaughter the ones that run away

How can i disable the forts?In my case, some cities have forts

It just depends on luck..
    Smoke? demanding, sure. But...
    Main thing is about defensive troops pathfinding...especially when u brake the wall with ur cannons. A common empire thing.
    If they got stuck, then it's gonna be super lag. If they don't, super cool even with a lot of troops and best graphic.
    You never know...
    Worth risking imho
    TO ARMS IN DIXIE !!!