Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roar of Conquest: Overhaul of Stainless Steel 6.4

Default Roar of Conquest: Overhaul of Stainless Steel 6.4

Greetings! Recently I published Roar of Conquest, an overhaul of Stainless Steel focused on more balanced factions and more entertaining campaigns with larger, more professional armies. The mod is exclusively for the 1220 campaign, and is a standalone installation. To give credit where it is due, Roar of Conquest takes and overhauls the following:

• Stainless Steel 6.4
    • Meloo Fix 1.27
    • Regional Knight Orders For All

For those of you who are curious and want to know more about the mod and what changes have been made, please visit the Moddb page here: https://www.moddb.com/mods/roar-of-conquest

If you like what you see, you can download the mod from the same website. I hope you enjoy!

johnswan's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Roar of Conquest: Overhaul of Stainless Steel 6.4

I am enjoying your mod playing as Poland.Nice to have access to a good range of cavalry right from the start.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Congratulations, Lond Vinciullo!
    Very good to have a variety of options to play SS6.4. Have you thought to make a later start? I recall there're plans to make it for 1390. In the SSHIP we start in 1132 and we have a different view on the early availability of the units (ie. you need to play long to experience all the units, some are phased out, and some come later).
    cheers
    JoC
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; November 21, 2020 at 03:22 PM.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Congratulations, Lond Vinciullo!
    Very good to have a variety of options to play SS6.4. Have you thought to make a later start? I recall there're plans to make it for 1390. In the SSHIP we start in 1132 and we have a different view on the early availability of the units (ie. you need to play long to experience all the units, some are phased out, and some come later).
    cheers
    JoC
    A later start date may certainly be a goal for the next release of the mod; however, I confess that I am not sure how to program the game to have multiple start dates. I would be interested in hearing how you guys view and modify the unit availability.

Update: I now have a Discord up for general questions and bug reports, for anyone who is interested. Link here: https://discord.gg/uBqXpDzagr

I happy to announce that I am now working on version 4.0 of Roar of Conquest.

Interesting to see someone taking the time to re-work Stainless Steel 6.4

I suspect most people who spent a lot of time playing SS6.4 implemented their own tweaks and mini-mods to bring in line with how they like to play it.
    Maybe one day I'll get round to finishing off mine

Anyways I'll download it and see how this mod plays.

(Standalone should be easier to install than having to install SS6.4 and then add the relevant files.)

Hmmm - downloaded and installed and played once - as England - I suspect that hasn't been worked on yet.
    Tried to launch a second time and it won't.
    The settings file points to the C drive - ProgramFiles (x86) directory and the game is in my D Drive Games directory.
    How do we edit the settings file ?
    Last edited by Used2BRoz; April 10, 2021 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Used2BRoz View Post
    Interesting to see someone taking the time to re-work Stainless Steel 6.4

I suspect most people who spent a lot of time playing SS6.4 implemented their own tweaks and mini-mods to bring in line with how they like to play it.
    Maybe one day I'll get round to finishing off mine

Anyways I'll download it and see how this mod plays.

(Standalone should be easier to install than having to install SS6.4 and then add the relevant files.)

Hmmm - downloaded and installed and played once - as England - I suspect that hasn't been worked on yet.
    Tried to launch a second time and it won't.
    The settings file points to the C drive - ProgramFiles (x86) directory and the game is in my D Drive Games directory.
    How do we edit the settings file ?
    Did you make a Kingdoms launcher? That's usually the cause of the error you reported. And all factions, including England, have been modded in Roar of Conquest.

Think I solved the problem with the game not launching.
    You need to have Steam running before the shortcuts work.

(I vaguely remember having this problem before with other mods.)

The English roster needs some work doing on it before it resembles England in 1220.
    Far too many archers / longbowmen etc.
    English used crossbowmen in 1220 and some archer militia - lonbowmen not a thing in 1220.
    Fyrd spearmen need removing and peasants.

I can't launch your mod. It won't detect my Kingdoms.exe

Do you have a kingdoms.exe launcher?

Ofcourse. I'm using other mods as well.

Will the SS longer assimilation be included in future releases?
    That's all I am currently missing in this mod. Other than that, I greatly enjoy it.
    Sig made by me, content from Broken Crescent.

I will be publishing an announcement on ModDB discussing the future of the mod within the next couple of weeks; your questions will be answered!

Quote Originally Posted by Draken2007 View Post
    Ofcourse. I'm using other mods as well.
    Is your copy of Medieval II installed on a different drive other than your C drive? If so, you will need to change the launch path for the application to match where you have your copy of Medieval II installed.

Back to playing M2TW Kingdoms/SS, etc. Tried this RoC4.0, and it ran very stable on my setup. But I'm lacking some info I can't find. Quick questions:

1. Does RoC4.0 require SS6.4 "with" or "without" Meloo's BFC127?
    2. Can the G5 Settlement tweaks be applied? If so when, before or after install of RoC4.0?
    3. Depending on the above, if BFC127 is applied, can the subs like 2TPY, etc., be applied?

I installed this based on my assumption that RoC4.0 has it's own tweaked BFC127, and RKfA (Regional Knights for All). And it ran fine in a short testing. But ofcourse, lacks any of the subs for BFC127. Not sure if it is supposed to be that way, or I was supposed to add BFC127 before install of RoC4.0?

Sorry to ask what probably has been answered, but could not find this info about installation. Tks.

Quote Originally Posted by bweiss View Post
    Back to playing M2TW Kingdoms/SS, etc. Tried this RoC4.0, and it ran very stable on my setup. But I'm lacking some info I can't find. Quick questions:

1. Does RoC4.0 require SS6.4 "with" or "without" Meloo's BFC127?
    2. Can the G5 Settlement tweaks be applied? If so when, before or after install of RoC4.0?
    3. Depending on the above, if BFC127 is applied, can the subs like 2TPY, etc., be applied?

I installed this based on my assumption that RoC4.0 has it's own tweaked BFC127, and RKfA (Regional Knights for All). And it ran fine in a short testing. But ofcourse, lacks any of the subs for BFC127. Not sure if it is supposed to be that way, or I was supposed to add BFC127 before install of RoC4.0?

Sorry to ask what probably has been answered, but could not find this info about installation. Tks.
    You do not require Stainless Steel 6.4 at all to install and play ROC 6.4. Changing the settings in Stainless Steel will not affect Roar of Conquest at all. I choose to do things this way in order to increase the stability of ROC in comparison to Stainless Steel 6.4; unfortunately, it does mean that you do not have the option to make tweaks to the gameplay like you used to, such as enabling Meloo's BFC127. The only way to get the settings you were asking about would be to go into the mod files and change them to fit your preferences. Sorry about that. :/

Thanks for the quick reply me Lord. Wow, I totally missed that SS6.4 was already contained in RoC4.0.

So all one needs to do is install M2TW/Kingdoms (and a Kingdoms mod), then put RoC4.0 into the mod folder, paste a shortcut to the (Roc) .exe file on the desktop and away you go?! No SS setup needed... Nice. Makes this super simplistic.

Is there an outline somewhere of what all from SS6.4, Meloo's stuff (BFC127/G5 Settlement Tweaks if any), and RKfA are contained and what all was tweaked? I've browsed MODDB and found tid-bits of info, but haven't found a guide or outline of what all from those mods was used or not used for RoC.

Never mind the outline/guide question. I found some more info on MODDB that answers what I was seeking. But didn't find anything on this:

Question: Is the "reset_map_and_sound.bat" file in the RoC4.0 directory used immediately after installation and before playing a campaign, or only if one encounters an issue while playing the campaign?

My assumption is; that it is to be applied after install of RoC4.0 into the Kingdoms mods folder, and "before" starting RoC4.0 for the first time. Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by bweiss View Post
    My assumption is; that it is to be applied after install of RoC4.0 into the Kingdoms mods folder, and "before" starting RoC4.0 for the first time. Correct?
    That is correct sir

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast