Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about demons

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Let's talk about demons

Concerning Hislop's work on his book a lot of research went into it for he didn't just make it all up
    Sorry he does in fact make things with some regularity. Last you cited the work I worked out a couple examples of a steaming mess his logical falsies are but... I lost a HDD and while I think I have a cloud back up but rural Idaho have crap internet even at top tier expense I can't restore until I sure the usage would piss of the family. For example on my wife's work from days now all but one day its verboten to be a bandwidth hog and her analysis needs over night connectivity to work so... time permitting I will try demonstrate what his his work is.

So, if I were a student and you were my judge, I would very quickly change colleges seeing how you have to be believed or else.
    Which would still not change that fact that when you leave the Bible belief is no longer an accepted method of sourcing things. You can Believe the Bible (that is the point) .. But Hislop is I am sorry to say deeply outdated and a poorly constructed polemical work. Its history and methodology is flawed. The logic is flawed the connections asserted between names and other etymologies is flawed. You have a bad habit of latching to old texts like thay are in fact mini bibles. If I was going the argue the meaning of a Greek word I would not in fact use the Handwörterbuch der griechischen Sprache published in the early 1800s but the Liddell–Scott–Jones from 1940 and its various supplements and errata up to the present. It is very much important to consider a work 200 years old or more of just how very limited access to such tools was to the people writing at the time.
    Liddell–Scott–Jones
    Last edited by conon394; November 17, 2020 at 12:51 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Let's talk about demons

Like other people said, "daimon" in greek is not the same as what the word got used for in christianity. And like Conon said, kakodaimons only became a notion in the era of gnostic religions (which were a mystical hybrid of ancient greek philosophy and "christiany" - in a very general sense - stuff).
    Socrates famously spoke of his "daimon" who urged him to do things, like learn music. And like Morticia said, the pre-gnostic era daimons were basically lesser gods, which is why one of the accusations in the trial of Socrates was that he "introduces new daimons" (kaina daimonia).

The Erinyes , aka "Zeus's winged dogs", can be seen as a type of what now is identified as demon. They were sent by the gods to punish anyone who committed hubris, and according to a nice aphorism by Heraklitos: "Not even the Sun can exceed what was allotted to him, for if he does then the Erinyes will find him and see that he faces trial".
    The three Gorgones (two of which were immortal; the third one was killed by Perseas) also look like demons in their vase depictions. While the Erinyes at times have nice-looking female forms, and at others are nightmarish, the two immortal Gorgones look like a strange ant in most depictions, and bearded horrible old women in others.
    Although they aren't really interested in dealing with humans, and not even the gods can stand to look at them - much like with other monsters, like the Scylla, the "immortal evil".
    Last edited by pacifism; November 17, 2020 at 10:51 PM. Reason: double posts merged
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

conon394,

The main problem you unbelievers have is that your logic stems from your mind which is bound by sin whereas the likes of Hislop is dealing with Spiritual matters that you are blinded to. From Genesis we learn about demons in the work of Satan whom God handed you over to, so it's not a Greek thing or any other thing invented in later times. No, it's just your way of dealing with your situation before God.

Basics, where is the term "demon" used in the OT? Just cause you make a personal connection cause you feel like it, doesn't mean it is worthy of mentioning to others.
    Anyway, the etymology of the term "demon" is known, as is the brief history of how it got usurped (and altered) by christianity. Maybe if you weren't keen on identifying every bit of scientific info presented as an attack to your faith, you would have had no issue with something as anodyne as this.
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Basics, where is the term "demon" used in the OT? Just cause you make a personal connection cause you feel like it, doesn't mean it is worthy of mentioning to others.
    Anyway, the etymology of the term "demon" is known, as is the brief history of how it got usurped (and altered) by christianity. Maybe if you weren't keen on identifying every bit of scientific info presented as an attack to your faith, you would have had no issue with something as anodyne as this.
    Kyriakos,

Well, in the Old Covenant God handed the world over to sin whose master is Satan. It wasn't until Jesus' time that they were called demons or evil spirits yet in the Old Testament God told the people to deter from contacting the spirits, why? Because many were evil beings under Satan's control. Jesus made no bones about meeting and casting out demons or evil spirits. There's no science about this. It is what is written witnessed by His followers. The problem you're having is fitting medievil assumptions to something that began many thousands of years before in the garden when Adam and Eve fell. You cannot disconnect this because some Greeks accused the Christians of inventing evil and its spirits. They were the people who invented so many gods that Paul had to put them right about what they were following and the Real God. No my friend, follow what God has declared to be His word from Genesis all through to the Revelation of Jesus Christ and you can't go wrong.

You aren't following what is being discussed here. We were talking about the term "demon", not the general idea of an "evil spirit". Obviously no one claimed the ancient jews couldn't think of something as backward as "evil spirits"; what was claimed is that the term "demon" originally meant a lesser deity and/or a psychological trait.
    Also, please don't preach here; I am doing my best to not respond to preaching, cause it is personal belief and doesn't lend itself to discussion with others.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Like other people said, "daimon" in greek is not the same as what the word got used for in christianity. And like Conon said, kakodaimons only became a notion in the era of gnostic religions (which were a mystical hybrid of ancient greek philosophy and "christiany" - in a very general sense - stuff).
    Socrates famously spoke of his "daimon" who urged him to do things, like learn music. And like Morticia said, the pre-gnostic era daimons were basically lesser gods, which is why one of the accusations in the trial of Socrates was that he "introduces new daimons" (kaina daimonia).

The Erinyes , aka "Zeus's winged dogs", can be seen as a type of what now is identified as demon. They were sent by the gods to punish anyone who committed hubris, and according to a nice aphorism by Heraklitos: "Not even the Sun can exceed what was allotted to him, for if he does then the Erinyes will find him and see that he faces trial".
    The three Gorgones (two of which were immortal; the third one was killed by Perseas) also look like demons in their vase depictions. While the Erinyes at times have nice-looking female forms, and at others are nightmarish, the two immortal Gorgones look like a strange ant in most depictions, and bearded horrible old women in others.
    Although they aren't really interested in dealing with humans, and not even the gods can stand to look at them - much like with other monsters, like the Scylla, the "immortal evil".
    I not sure demons work in the classical Greek world pre as you note the rise of duelist mystery religions. From a legal perspective the Erinyes are not capriciously evil. They are the personification of legal justice divorced from the justice in equity.

They thus seem then unrelenting and absolute. And in effect that is what Aeschylus provides his Athenian jury decides to sit in Equity not Law.

Realistically the Greeks did not need demons their gods were capricious enough. They were ones who made everyone think Cassandra was insane babbling of bizarre futures, made Hercules mad enough to kill his family, let Achilles pray to have a whole bunch of his mates killed...

Once you decide there is a singular god (he/she/it) that is righteous and good absolutely and challenged by a opposite evil opponent. Than you need demons. Since any act of the good god must be good no matter the results you need some agent to ascribe bad things to you can't otherwise explain. Since you decided the good god had intermediaries it only makes sense his opponent would.
    Last edited by conon394; November 24, 2020 at 07:52 AM.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

You aren't following what is being discussed here. We were talking about the term "demon", not the general idea of an "evil spirit". Obviously no one claimed the ancient jews couldn't think of something as backward as "evil spirits"; what was claimed is that the term "demon" originally meant a lesser deity and/or a psychological trait.
    Also, please don't preach here; I am doing my best to not respond to preaching, cause it is personal belief and doesn't lend itself to discussion with others.
    Kyriakos,

Anything that detracts from God's position of being the Only God is evil and so even if your explanation for demon holds any sway it is evil in the eyes of God. So, if I am preaching I make no apologies for that.

Anything that detracts from God's position of being the Only God is evil and so even if your explanation for demon holds any sway it is evil in the eyes of God. So, if I am preaching I make no apologies for that.
    Of course that would view from gods point of view, but also need to prove god is good.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Of course that would view from gods point of view, but also need to prove god is good.
    conon394,

Did God not send His Son to die on a cross so that sinners might be saved? I'd call that not only good but very good especially as no-one ever deserved saving.

Did god order the absolute destruction of Jerhico - I call that evil. Did enforce blood attainder on everyone for the sins of two individuals? Really if you changed the name to from God to Baal you likely say he at minimum was a cruel god.
    Last edited by conon394; December 07, 2020 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Did god order the absolute destruction of Jerhico - I call that evil. Did enforce blood attainder on everyone for the sins of two individuals? Really if you changed the name to from God to Baal you likely say he at minimum was a cruel god.
    conon394,

Throughout all history men, women and children have been killed so why is Jericho such an exception? Could it be that you'll take anything to disparage your Creator in any way possible? People die because of their sin whether that sin is worshipping false gods or any other sin. In the end there is no distinction when death comes. So, was it a cruel God Who gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes on Him shall not perish but have everlasting life? Did God call for the absolute destruction of Hitler and his cronies? Of course He did so in that respect is He really a cruel God?

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I love that you think the idea of ordering your son to die to save other people is somehow a noble act and not also evil.

Did God call for the absolute destruction of Hitler and his cronies? Of course He did
    Please cite me the bible verse where god calls for the absolute destruction of "hitler and his cronies".

Throughout all history men, women and children have been killed so why is Jericho such an exception?
    Oh so it's okay for god to order an entire city to be destroyed so long as he also allows billions of others to die too?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    I love that you think the idea of ordering your son to die to save other people is somehow a noble act and not also evil.

Please cite me the bible verse where god calls for the absolute destruction of "hitler and his cronies".

Oh so it's okay for god to order an entire city to be destroyed so long as he also allows billions of others to die too?
    Akar,

Jesus for the purpose of saving some went on that cross not just because the Father ordained it but because He too ordained it being God Himself. Now that's love no matter how you feel.

Concerning Hitler or any other so-called leader of a nation, it is written that God raises up nations and destroys others so we can see why Hitler fell. Job12:23

Any person that has died in this life for whatever reason their souls do not die. These souls are sent to one of two places, one, to be in heaven with God and two, to be interred in hell, forever in both cases.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Concerning Hitler or any other so-called leader of a nation, it is written that God raises up nations and destroys others so we can see why Hitler fell. Job12:23
    That says nothing about calling for the "absolute destruction of hitler and his cronies". By that logic, he calls for the "absolute destruction of israel and it's cronies" since it's also a nation.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    Akar,

Jesus for the purpose of saving some went on that cross not just because the Father ordained it but because He too ordained it being God Himself. Now that's love no matter how you feel.

Any person that has died in this life for whatever reason their souls do not die. These souls are sent to one of two places, one, to be in heaven with God and two, to be interred in hell, forever in both cases.
    After watching this vid, I would rather pick hell

Throughout all history men, women and children have been killed so why is Jericho such an exception?
    I rather think that would be obvious. Yes Lots of people died, or were killed. Lots of those people were people the iron age authors of the OT never even new existed. So that is not the point. The point of Jericho is that in the bible god explicitly ordained its absolute destruction and intervened directly to make it happen if you choose to believe the story.

That makes God very much a cruel god

Why

Well apparently acts can redeem you else why are Rahab and her household spared. Either everything in the city is evil or there was chance to judge them. I not sure how the animals were evil. Or the infants and what about slaves? Surly there were slaves who had no particular loyalty to the towns leaders thay got no chance argue their case? That not everyone got a chance to be judged is hypocrisy directly from god.

So you ask why why I bring up Jericho because it in a nut shell shines a light on the capricious cruelty of the OT god.

Also of course the archeology makes it clear its just a made up story.

Could it be that you'll take anything to disparage your Creator in any way possible?
    Lots of stories tell of other creators, but the bibles does not meet the test of the actual observable facts so rather I disparage the creator god ancient Hebrews made up.

People die because of their sin whether that sin is worshipping false gods or any other sin
    Everyone will false god or no

In the end there is no distinction when death comes.
    Indeed

So, was it a cruel God Who gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes on Him shall not perish but have everlasting life?
    So a dude said back in the day maybe and amplified by a skilled educated Hellenistic types but other equally persuasive have had different views.

Did God call for the absolute destruction of Hitler and his cronies?
    Hmm except for say the guys who got jobs with the allies or lived to happy old age in South America or just got a white wash in Germany because you know the cold war.
    Last edited by conon394; December 09, 2020 at 10:42 PM.

conon394,

So, to you Gos is cruel yet to me He is loving and since only He can persuade you of that as He did for me, I guess the gap between us is not going to close.

Akar,

Talking about Israel, God has dealt with them probably more severely than any other nation.

So, to you Gos is cruel yet to me He is loving and since only He can persuade you of that as He did for me, I guess the gap between us is not going to close.
    As the god of the OT he has little chance of convincing me. Thus you are perhaps right but I do fine it some what cynical to claim a personal loving god but seemingly accept his capricious and cruel behavior.
    Last edited by conon394; December 10, 2020 at 07:21 AM.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post

Though, curious, what about all the other religions/races/nations, who have lived in other parts of the world, and who geographically simply had no/little opportunity to meet the "Only God" ? Are they all doomed because they have worshipped the wrong god, and destined to burn in hell forever? Why would the christian god not reveal himself to them?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast