Thread: Mercenaries of the Realms / plans, info, etc

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Default Mercenaries of the Realms / plans, info, etc

This topic will be used for discussing the mercenaries. Im not really sure if there can be any mercenaries for the v0.2 version, but i it could be possible to make a 'mercenary patch' afterwards, adding at least some of the more important mercenary groups.

I have to say here, that several large mercenary companies have been intergrated into specific rosters, like the Flaming Fist for Baldur's Gate for example, so those mercenary companies are already there as regular units.

In this topic, im only talking about the mercenaries that work within the mercenary mechanic of the game.

Because Faerun is very abundant in mercenary companies, and many of them are very small and local, im gonna divide all mercenaries into 2 main groups:

1. Racial and Ethnic Mercenaries
    2. Specific Mercenary Companies

As for 1. these will represent various groups that are either unnamed, or too small, or just exist within the lore as a background information (eg. hobgoblins or even orcs often work as mercenaries but there arent many organized groups listed to make them a specific company, considering how wide spead they are).

As for 2. i will try to pick some most notable companies from different parts of Faerun.

Im gonna post here later which mercenary companies im considering adding.
    Last edited by Vladyvid; October 08, 2020 at 05:16 AM.

Default Re: Mercenaries of the Realms / plans, info, etc

1. Racial and Ethnic Mercenaries

/possible choices/

Hobgoblins: the most mercenary oriented race, common across the whole west and interior Faerun; possible units would be at least archers and melee warriors, possibly also a heavier halberd unit

Orcs: also quite common across most of the northern and central areas of the map; most commonly available as warriors and archers but without any heavier types

Gnolls: also very widespread but mostly across the warmer areas, so not available in the northern parts, similar units types as orcs and hobgoblins

Uthgardt: this is a regional human ethnic group that exists in the north-west, they are the archetypical barbarians in a way, could be arranged in a melee infantry and possibly something like a javelin infantry

Pirates: common mostly across the sourthern coastal areas, there could be two main types the Nelanther Pirates and Sea of Falling Star Pirates, or just Pirates

Chessentans: they are quite interesting because they are said to be a nation of mercenaries and they are specifically designed to resemble ancient/classical greek soldiers, think of Spartans for example, available in the south-east

Turami: an ethnic group of dark skinned humans, native to Turmish but widespread across the south-east aswell, often working as mercs

Shaarans: a normadic human group from the south, could be available from the eastern borders of Calimshan to Mulhorand; could be compared to Alans, Scythians, Avars, or Huns; only cavalry

Calishites: this is a very rough idea, because they are very widespread as a ethnic group across the south-west, especially around the Lake of Steam, could be both infantry and cavalry

Bedines: similar in design to Calishites, but only availanble in the desert of Anauroch

Nar: a nomadic north-eastern ethnic human group, similar to Shaarans, possibly only cavalry

Drow: this is debatable lets just say, but there are certain areas where it could be in theory (from a lore standpoint) possible to recruit some drow

Chultans: another interesting human ethnic group, similar to Turami because also dark skinned, but the Chultans are barbaric/tribal, while the Turamis are civilized; could be available south of the Lake of Steam
    Last edited by Vladyvid; October 08, 2020 at 06:40 AM.

2. Specific Mercenary Companies (and their division into units)

listing ideas - based on the sourcebook FR15 accessory "Gold & Glory" by Tim Beach

The Blacktalons Mercenary Company

Code:
    areas:
    The Heartlands
    units:
    Blacktalons Cavalry Blacktalons Infantry Blacktalons Scouts
    The Bloodaxe Mercenary Company

Code:
    areas:
    The North / Silver Marches
    units:
    Bloodaxe Cavalry / Axes Bloodaxe Cavalry / Slings Bloodaxe Cavalry / Spears
    The Red Raven Mercenary Company

Code:
    areas:
    Cormyr, Anauroch
    units:
    Red Raven Archers Red Raven Swords
    The Renegades

Code:
    areas:
    Mulhorand, Unther, Chessenta
    units:
    Renegades Archers Renegades Cavalry Renegades Infantry
    The Society of the Sword

Code:
    areas:
    Mulhorand, Unther, Chessenta
    units:
    Sword Archers Sword Cavalry Sword High Infantry Sword Low Infantry
    The Veterans' Guild of Raven's Bluff

Code:
    areas:
    The Vast, and around that area
    units:
    Veterans' Guild Archers Veterans' Guild Cavalry Veterans' Guild Infantry
    The Anaconda

Code:
    areas:
    The Heartlands
    units:
    Anaconda Blowguns Anaconda Scimitars Anaconda Spears
    Order of the Blue Boar

Code:
    areas:
    Amn, Tethyr
    units:
    Blue Boar Swords
    I should add here that the above division into specific units of each of the company, is also taken from the Gold & Glory book.

I like what i see! Can't wait this mod to be released with everything in it!!

I started working on the models for Anaconda:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

They will be mixed gender units. Dont mind these textures, this is early wip.
    Last edited by Vladyvid; April 23, 2021 at 12:18 PM.

The Anaconda are finished, i just need to game test them and add to the mod. Because they are both men and women in the same unit, i coudnt do much variety, so it will be 2 men and 2 women models:

assurbanippal's Avatar Biarchus

looking good mate

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Page-48/page48

Manus supra idolum age primum et septimum de QuatuoR

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

I did just watch through the Lore of Faerun (Dungeons and Dragons) over on Youtube and haven't watched every video yet but I went from knowing very little about Faerun to now at least knowing the beginning up until the fall of the cities of the sky controlled by Wizards, I also watched specifically videos about Thay and now know more about them - that they do have a Necromancer Wizard who is 200 years old, and is by far the most powerful and influential of the bunch.

I've never played Dungeons and Dragons, so my interest in the Faerun: Total War mod has been mostly because I like fantasy settings like Warcraft, LotR, Hyrule and Warhammer.

I have played a bit out of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on the PS2. I do own Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 but haven't played them, I also own the icewind Dale games but haven't played them.

What I can say is that I also watched a really good anime series set in an alternate Dungeons and Dragons setting named "Record of Lodoss War" - it's a really good anime of 13 or so episodes and I've watched maybe 7 right now. While the world isn't Faerun it has essentially the same heroes, creatures and gods but with different names. Or it's a Japanese iteration of the tabletop game, so it's at the core the same thing but Japan has made its own twist on everything.

The Hobgoblins looked very much the same.

Anyways, I was watching lore videos just now and I really think that the dark Elves should be featured.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/sw...20160324152800

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fo...20200411234840

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qi...03156fc4434-lq

https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net...jpg?1424723174

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fo...20200618163735

Especially the hot female ones, but I do have a history of always playing the Dark Elves in Warhammer and what-not.

Not sure if the links work.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; January 13, 2024 at 06:10 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

assurbanippal's Avatar Biarchus

yeah i have in mind to make drows either as rebels or merc, even both, i would like to include driders too, so deffo drows will be in game for sure

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Page-48/page48

Manus supra idolum age primum et septimum de QuatuoR

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Quote Originally Posted by assurbanippal View Post
    yeah i have in mind to make drows either as rebels or merc, even both, i would like to include driders too, so deffo drows will be in game for sure
    Cool, so I'm currently updating the WIP.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal