Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greece: Court Condemns the Neo-Nazi Party of Golden Dawn as a Criminal Organisation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Greece: Court Condemns the Neo-Nazi Party of Golden Dawn as a Criminal Organisation

Good news for a change, as today the court's verdict has decided that the Neo-Nazi party of the Golden Dawn is a criminal organisation. Not due to any ideological reasons, although the group's endorsement of Neo-Nazism had been amply demonstrated during the process, but, according to the penal law. It took almost 7 years for the trial to be completed (the penalties have not been determined yet), but it's finally over. For an overview of the trial, I recommend the Golden Dawn Watch website. The charges were firstly filed, when a para-military force of Golden Dawn members assaulted and stabbed to death, Pavlos Fyssas, a leftist musician in the autumn of 2013. A murder for which the Führer of the party, Mihaloliakos assumed full, political responsibility. That murder, together with two attacks against the members of a trade union controlled by the Communist Party of Greece and against Egyptian expatriates seasonally working as fishermen, were the basis for the verdict. The leadership of the Golden Dawn, including the Führer Mihaloliakos and his second-in-command, Kasidiaris, who had just established an offshoot party, were found guilty for leading the criminal organisation, while several other low-ranking members will await punishment for joining it and for the murder of Fyssas.

To give some background, the Golden Dawn was one of the few (I can only think of Jobbik in Hungary, but they might have been more, especially around the Baltics), openly Neo-Nazi parties that succeeded in entering the national Parliament of the European Union country with a relatively impressive popularity (7%). Even before their electoral victories, they boasted of a long history of violence (Mihaloliakos himself has a criminal record for terrorist activities, as a protest for the fall of the military dictatorship and the restoration of democracy), but their extremism had escalated since then. They committed several assaults and even murdered a Pakistani immigrant, although their anti-establishment rhetoric had been mellowed down. For instance, they also enjoyed a cordial relationshp with the ship-owner lobby, probably the strongest (politically and economically) ''industry'' in Greece. They argued for fiscal privileges for the wealthiest businesssmen of the country, they were treated friendly by Marinakis, the most notorious ship-owning magnate, and his media empire, and even the attack against the trade unionists of the shipyard should be interpreted as a manifestation of that alliance.

Therefore, the verdict is great news, since the leadership will remain behind bars in the foreseeable future and the Neo-Nazis will lose any money they might have been entitled to from the public treasury. However, it should also be noted that the public support for the group had already eroded, not because of the murder (Golden Dawn performed very well even in 2015, two years after the assassination), but because of how cowardly and opportunistically the Neo-Nazis reacted. Even the elite refused to recognize any responsibility, played innocent and even abandoned the sinking ship, in order to avoid any negative verdict. Most of the violence stopped completely, Patelis, the chief of the security batallion that murdered Fyssas, fainted during the trial and Boukouras, a MP notorious for throwing immigrants into the sea, begged his colleagues for forgiveness, amidst a tearful appeal at theit magnaminity. I wonder, did Göring also cry in Nuremberg? And the chubby Air Marshal faced the prospect of execution, not imprisonment...

Overall, I think the affair justified Marx' quote about the farcial repetitions of history, although innocent human beings still died. Of course, the authorities reacted very slowly (even during the trial, the prosecutor herself asked for the charges to be dropped) and any judicial efforts were undermined by the affiliation of the law enforcement with the Neo-Nazis. However, the result definitely leaves room for optimism and proves that Neo-Nazism can actually be dealt with through legal procedures, something that was probably not true in the Interwar years. The crucial difference is, in my opinion, the modern extreme right relies on selfish populists and on ignorant voters, not on determined ideologues and impoverished, desperate masses, while the menace of Bolshevism no longer exists, so neither the oligarchs nor the more moderate conservatives have any substantial reason to pander to the far-right. Neo-Nazis may sound tough behind the safety of their keyboard, but once the consequences arrive, the movement will quickly fragment and gradually evaporate.

For an interesting documentary about the Golden Dawn, I suggest the French ''Une affaire personnelle'':

The best part starts in the 41st minute, where the local Gauleiter instructs an inferior member on how to avoid the potentially embarrassing questions of the journalist about the party's Antisemitism and Holocaust denial.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; October 08, 2020 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Free-speech censored; is this Soviet dystopia, where we want our children to grow?!

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Greece: Court Condemns the Neo-Nazi Party of Golden Dawn as a Criminal Organisation

I wonder, did Göring also cry in Nuremberg? And the chubby Air Marshal faced the prospect of execution, not imprisonment...
    Göring aka Meier got rid of his opiat addiction during the imprisonment before the trial. So he had had his second spring and old charisma of former times.

As AFD parliament groups in several german federal states have had dissolved the last few weeks, the rise of populist parties seem to be over in western and central europe.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; October 07, 2020 at 06:39 AM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Greece: Court Condemns the Neo-Nazi Party of Golden Dawn as a Criminal Organisation

Here someone can watch all the inquest and trial proceeding of GD.

Today, a massive protest against GD took place in the area around the Judiciary, where tens of thousands of people demonstrated against fascism

A few seconds after the announcement of the decision, while the protestors were celebrating police opened fire with tear gas and water cannons as seen in videos like this one. (The announcement of the decision is heard at 0:22 and the tear gas beginnings at 1:05). Not surprising, considering the support for the neonazi party within the police organizations.

Today was the first victory against them, but we still have to wait until the actual sentences are announced, and the result of the appeals.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Today, a massive protest against GD took place in the area around the Judiciary, where tens of thousands of people demonstrated against fascism
    I don't know much about GD and whether the verdict is justified or not, but I gotta ask, are there too few Covid deaths in the area or something? Because this looks like an excellent way to increase the death toll and ruin what's left of the public health sector. How about writing letters to MPs instead, or some other form of civic engagement?

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    I don't know much about GD and whether the verdict is justified or not, but I gotta ask, are there too few Covid deaths in the area or something? Because this looks like an excellent way to increase the death toll and ruin what's left of the public health sector. How about writing letters to MPs instead, or some other form of civic engagement?
    Actually, cases in Athens have spiked and 22000 people gathered and shouting indeed would be catastrophic.
    You just made one of the monumental events in 2020 for my country so much worse by pointing that out.

RIP to all patriots and pro-democracy forces that will die as a result of this gathering.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post

RIP to all patriots and pro-democracy forces that will die as a result of this gathering.
    22000 people and somehow not a single Greek flag showed up among all those patriots
    "Blessed is he who learns how to engage in inquiry, with no impulse to hurt his countrymen or to pursue wrongful actions, but perceives the order of the immortal and ageless nature, how it is structured."
    Euripides

"This is the disease of curiosity. It is this which drives to try and discover the secrets of nature, those secrets which are beyond our understanding, which avails us nothing and which man should not wish to learn."
    Augustine

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    That's actually a good point. I wonder if there was any condemnation of these protests, especially considering that Greece and particularly Attica are experiencing a dangerous second wave and measures are being enforced that severely impact people's daily lives. If those protests have not been condemned, then people will be justified to ask if covid measures are only applicable when it is not in service to a political agenda or other.

@Abdulmecid I
    Timoleon covered my concern regarding this verdict quite well. If even the prosecutor says there is not enough evidence to show central planning and coordination of the crimes in question, I am justified to be rather surprised by the verdict. Also, your attempts to attack the accused ideologically aren't apt. First of all this trial was supposedly not an ideological trial, though the verdict does make me doubt that. Second I don't hold GD or their ex-MPs in any particular esteem, but as people and citizens of a democratic state they have the right to be tried fairly, however distasteful me or you may find their ideology, it is simply not a relevant factor to whether they committed those crimes or not.

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

I am rather surprised by the verdict. I haven't followed this trial very closely but last I heard the prosecution had said there isn't enough evidence to convict the former MPs for running a criminal organization. If I remember correctly and the prosecutor had stated that then the guilty verdict feels more like an emotional, or worse still biased response against an undesirable ideology, rather than an impartial application of justice. Certainly what is and isn't considered just does depend to a degree on the current mores and mood of society, but the judiciary should be able to rise above these factors and be fair in its interpretation of the law rather than attempt to placate the mob.

Anyway, I still doubt these people will end up in jail for all that long, if indeed they are jailed at all. They haven't been sentenced yet, I expect there will be quite the battle over mitigating factors and it's likely for many of them whatever sentence they receive will be deferred.
    Last edited by Alastor; October 07, 2020 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    I am rather surprised by the verdict. I haven't followed this trial very closely but last I heard the prosecution had said there isn't enough evidence to convict the former MPs for running a criminal organization. If I remember correctly and the prosecutor had stated that then the guilty verdict feels more like an emotional, or worse still biased response against an undesirable ideology, rather than an impartial application of justice. Certainly what is and isn't considered just does depend to a degree on the current mores and mood of society, but the judiciary should be able to rise above these factors and be fair in its interpretation of the law rather than attempt to placate the mob.

Anyway, I still doubt these people will end up in jail for all that long, if indeed they are jailed at all. They haven't been sentenced yet, I expect there will be quite the battle over mitigating factors and it's likely for many of them whatever sentence they receive will be deferred.
    Doubt that jailing them was the goal, their target was getting rid of an opposition party.
    Seems that them being 'Nazis" is just an excuse to suppress political opposition first and foremost. Kinda similar to how opposition against Putin in Russia is often labeled as "extremist" to deny them voice and representation. Ironically, this is quite similar to what NSDAP itself did in 30s Germany.
    Also what will happen after, is that they'll just rebrand and create a party that will probably gain more power as it would have less controversy tied to its name.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Doubt that jailing them was the goal, their target was getting rid of an opposition party.
    Seems that them being 'Nazis" is just an excuse to suppress political opposition first and foremost.
    - They were not "Nazis", they were Nazis.
    - Getting rid of an opposition party: I don't think so: 1. The GD had already lost much of its voter base to other, less controversial, far-right parties. 2. They were holding 1%-2% of the xenophobes and far-right locked down in a party that wouldn't get in the parliament. Thus with the dissolution of Golden Dawn, those far rights would move to other far-right parties and perhaps tip the scale to get them in the parliament. 3. We have seen with our far-right parties in the past decades that this 4%-5% of far-rightwings moves from one far-right party to the next. LAOS was first, then it was ANEL, then it was GD, now it is Velopoulos.

what will happen after, is that they'll just rebrand and create a party that will probably gain more power as it would have less controversy tied to its name.
    We know that. Everyone does. They were in the process of doing that. They split the party and started moving key persons to the less controversial sister-parties. They would see which one of them would fare better and they would coalesce around him. They still plan to do just that.
    Also, as mentioned above, the Voters for the far-right move from one such party to the other within 5-6 years.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    - They were not "Nazis", they were Nazis.
    - Getting rid of an opposition party: I don't think so: 1. The GD had already lost much of its voter base to other, less controversial, far-right parties. 2. They were holding 1%-2% of the xenophobes and far-right locked down in a party that wouldn't get in the parliament. Thus with the dissolution of Golden Dawn, those far rights would move to other far-right parties and perhaps tip the scale to get them in the parliament. 3. We have seen with our far-right parties in the past decades that this 4%-5% of far-rightwings moves from one far-right party to the next. LAOS was first, then it was ANEL, then it was GD, now it is Velopoulos.
    Its a process for any political party, tbqh. Their ideology in this case is irrelevant, although the court's decision is going to do nothing other then give them organic support due to obvious political nature of court's decision.
    At the end of the day its the same thing as Trump using his SCOTUS majority to declare Democratic Party a criminal organization, different scale, but same idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Seems that them being 'Nazis" is just an excuse to suppress political opposition first and foremost. Kinda similar to how opposition against Putin in Russia is often labeled as "extremist" to deny them voice and representation. Ironically, this is quite similar to what NSDAP itself did in 30s Germany.
    Also what will happen after, is that they'll just rebrand and create a party that will probably gain more power as it would have less controversy tied to its name.
    It is exactly as you said, with one objection. Jailing them WAS the goal, because they still fear them, due to the dynamic of the new party formed by Kasidiaris, the second in rank in GD, who realised that Hellenic nationalism would require something newer than GD in order to govern. There are many right wingers who are sidappointed in Mitsotakis (the current government) because of their treacherous attitude on the Prespes Deal (they characterised the recognition of "North Macedonia" as a historic agreement, even though prior to the elections they had said they would do anything they could to subvert it, and they are getting ready to make concessions to Turkey in the Aegean). In fact, the right hand man of the previous Nea Dimokratia Prime Minister, Antonis Samaras, confessed (in a hidden camera) that the whole issue had been set up by Nea Dimokratia, in order to reclaim the votes lost to GD. When the GD defense brought this, the legislators changed the law so that footage from hidden cameras cannot be used in court. Of course, someone who commits a crime will willingly confess it once informed about the presence of the camera, I guess.

Ζήτω η Ελλάς! Ζήτω η Δημοκρατία!
    Long live Greece? Long live democracy?
    And yet many of those gathered there on that day, had the motto "να πεθάνει η Ελλάδα να ζήσουμε εμείς" (let Greece die so that we may live) on their lips on other occasions. So, which is it?
    Btw, what do you think of the serious incidents even after the judgement was passed, which was to their liking? If those patriotic democrats used molotov coctails to destroy public and private property when the judgement was to their liking, what would they do if the cerdict was not to their liking, I wonder?
    And on a final note, here is this:

Here is an image of a young man, being arrested by the Communist police some time in the late 80's, in an Eastern European country.
    his name is Viktor Orban.
    Last edited by ioannis76; October 12, 2020 at 07:40 AM.

The Truth is Hate for those who hate the Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ioannis76 View Post
    And yet many of those gathered there on that day, had the motto "να πεθάνει η Ελλάδα να ζήσουμε εμείς" (let Greece die so that we may live) on their lips on other occasions. So, which is it?
    Simple, it is:
    Long live Greece! Long live democracy!
    With an added: Down with the Neonazi parties and Nazi apologists!

That was not a hard question, was it?

PS. I am sure the communist police in the 80s arrested a lot of bad apples along with the true idealists and patriots. Orban was one of the bad apples.

Also, I think you put the Kasidiaris video up twice. Not Lagos and Kasidiaris.
    I know they take their orders from the same person and follow scripted speeches to the letter so I expect them to have a very similar speech, but I bet they don't look the same. At least, not yet. Once they're in their nice prison jumpsuits, then yes. As such, I think you mis-linked the Lagos Video.
    Last edited by alhoon; October 13, 2020 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ioannis76 View Post
    It is exactly as you said, with one objection. Jailing them WAS the goal, because they still fear them, due to the dynamic of the new party formed by Kasidiaris, the second in rank in GD, who realised that Hellenic nationalism would require something newer than GD in order to govern. There are many right wingers who are sidappointed in Mitsotakis (the current government) because of their treacherous attitude on the Prespes Deal (they characterised the recognition of "North Macedonia" as a historic agreement, even though prior to the elections they had said they would do anything they could to subvert it, and they are getting ready to make concessions to Turkey in the Aegean). In fact, the right hand man of the previous Nea Dimokratia Prime Minister, Antonis Samaras, confessed (in a hidden camera) that the whole issue had been set up by Nea Dimokratia, in order to reclaim the votes lost to GD. When the GD defense brought this, the legislators changed the law so that footage from hidden cameras cannot be used in court. Of course, someone who commits a crime will willingly confess it once informed about the presence of the camera, I guess.

Btw, what do you think of the serious incidents even after the judgement was passed, which was to their liking? If those patriotic democrats used molotov coctails to destroy public and private property when the judgement was to their liking, what would they do if the cerdict was not to their liking, I wonder?
    And on a final note, here is this:

Here is an image of a young man, being arrested by the Communist police some time in the late 80's, in an Eastern European country.
    his name is Viktor Orban.

If anything, it seems more like an attempt to prevent population from rallying behind a nationalist cause, especially with looming threat of Turkey from one side and marxist moral schizophrenia of EU elites from another. The issue with hidden cameras only proves further that this is a kangaroo trial aimed against political opposition, kinda similar to Putin's Russia.

I am rather surprised by the verdict. I haven't followed this trial very closely but last I heard the prosecution had said there isn't enough evidence to convict the former MPs for running a criminal organization.
    Indeed, she argued that all actions for which charges were pressed represented unsolicited crimes of individual party members without any evidence of central planning or coordination having been demonstrated, not to mention the absence of any motives related to economic benefit whatsoever. This verdict clearly comes about as a politically motivated decision fueled on the one hand by the threat of widespread riots and looting by leftist groups, to which monopoly of street violence has been now practically ceded, and on the other hand by the commitment of the ruling cuckservative party to suppress manifestations of Greek nativism on every level.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; October 10, 2020 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Personal Ref. removed
    "Blessed is he who learns how to engage in inquiry, with no impulse to hurt his countrymen or to pursue wrongful actions, but perceives the order of the immortal and ageless nature, how it is structured."
    Euripides

"This is the disease of curiosity. It is this which drives to try and discover the secrets of nature, those secrets which are beyond our understanding, which avails us nothing and which man should not wish to learn."
    Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Good news for a change, as today the court's verdict has decided that the Neo-Nazi party of the Golden Dawn is a criminal organisation.
    YES! YES!!!!

Meh... can't rep Abdulmecid yet.

But today is a day of celebration! Oh, glorious day!
    I am very happy with this turn of events and the exposure of the criminal thugs of the Golden Dawn. The cockroaches that supported openly GD in 2012, now pretend they were never part of this Neonazi criminal organization. Not every voter of the GD was an opportunistic, self-serving bootlicker, but many were.
    From the not-self-serving ones, the not-so-smart and more-than-a-little naive far rightwings I know, a couple have recognized their mistake. They still hold some ideas that I consider appalling and dangerous but they admit that GD was Neo-nazi and that they refused to see the signs.

7 Οκτώβρη!
    Να ξεβρωμίσει ο τόπος! Ζήτω η Ελλάς! Ζήτω η Δημοκρατία!
    Last edited by alhoon; October 07, 2020 at 10:08 AM.

I would hope that the court's decision was political. I don't see how choosing to reject Nazis from participating in the political process wouldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    I would hope that the court's decision was political. I don't see how choosing to reject Nazis from participating in the political process wouldn't be.
    Well, the ruling doesn't reject the right of Nazis to participate in the political process. It simply branded the neo-nazi organization that recruited, radicalized, trained and sent out to terrorize and murder people as a criminal organization. It is legal to be a Nazi in Greece. It is legal to make a party for Nazis. It is not legal to use this party to murder people.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    It wouldn't be in the scenario where the court's decision came about as the corollary of the application of the statutes of the Greek penal code - which criminalizes actions, not ideas - to factually proven pertinent charges... which is in fact the spin that the parliamentary regime puts on the court's ruling in order to maintain the charade of the tripartite division of government and of upholding the rule of law.

So, what exactly makes the opinion of the prosecutor more valid than the unanimous verdict of the 8-men tribunal? Why should the judges be biased against the poor, little fascists and not the prosecutor herself, who defended the Golden Dawn during the trial (including her accepting the historically absurd claim that their Nazi salute has ancient, Greek origins)?
    Because
    1) advancing their career rests on the goodwill of the politically appointed leadership of the Ministry of Justice, thereby ultimately on the wishes of the governing party
    2) there was a large leftist mob outside waiting for a pretext to riot and loot, if not attack them personally, either outright in a spur-of-the-moment storming of the hall or at a later point through a terrorist act, as have other high ranking officials of the state apparatus been before

If you have detected a weakness undermining the indictment and the verdict of Golden Dawn constituing a criminal association, feel free to discuss it.
    I already have: central planning and coordination of the separate crimes through a hierarchy or chain of command was never demonstrated.
    Last edited by Timoleon of Korinthos; October 07, 2020 at 05:41 PM.
    Euripides

Augustine

I don't think that patriotism is counted by how many pieces of fabric painted in a specific design someone carries with him. A safer indicator is, in my opinion, whether you oppose those who idolise the security battalions, assault Greeks and fondly remember the disctatorship or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timoleon of Korinthos View Post
    Because
    1) advancing their career rests on the goodwill of the politically appointed leadership of the Ministry of Justice, thereby ultimately on the wishes of the governing party
    2) there was a large leftist mob outside waiting for a pretext to riot and loot, if not attack them personally, either outright in a spur-of-the-moment storming of the hall or at a later point through a terrorist act, as have other high ranking officials of the state apparatus been before.
    So, nothing but arbitrary assumptions about their moral integrity? They don't even make sense, the presiding judge is a member of Areios Pagos, the Supreme Court, so her ambitions have presumably already been fulfilled. Also, the verdict had been reached way before the demonstrations, you incorrectly describe as a mob ready to riot and loot, had assembled. After all, given that the accused had a long, bloody record of attacking and murdering those who oppose them, we can also suppose the opposite, that the judges might have been afraid of how far-right criminals and terrorists would have reacted to the news about the imprisonment of the Führer and his close associates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timoleon of Korinthos View Post
    I already have: central planning and coordination of the separate crimes through a hierarchy or chain of command was never demonstrated.
    Not really. Telephone conversations prove that Patelis' squad had been organised and ordered to assault Fyssas and his friends and that Mihaloliakos, contrary to his statements, was quickly informed about the incident. The same applies for all the other attacks, including those against the trade unionists and fishermen, who were well-organised attempts of causing harm and injury against dissidents. Mihaloliakos was the leader of the party, assumed political responsibility for the assassination and has repeatedly published manifestos explaining that violent pogroms are an inherent part of Golden Dawn's ideology and tactics.
    If even the prosecutor says there is not enough evidence to show central planning and coordination of the crimes in question, I am justified to be rather surprised by the verdict.
    I don't think any surprise is justified. I believe you may have misunderstood the role of the prosecutor in the Greek judiciary system. Unlike what happens in the United States, where the office is subject to elections, the prosecutors are not supposed to aim at the conviction of the defendants. Their goal is simply to solve the case. Oikonomou wasn't even responsible for filing the charges, as, according to the clauses of the procedure, she simply executed the commands of her superior prosecutor. Therefore, her attitude doesn't mean that the arguments of the defenders were objectively overwhelming, but that she personally judged them so. Her impartiality is suspect, because of how regularly she endorsed the excuses of the Neo-Nazis in trial, in what concerns even their most absurd claims, like the Hitleric salute. In any case, the unanimous verdict of eight judges is more reliable than the opinion of a single prosecutor.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; October 08, 2020 at 05:18 AM. Reason: English difficult.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast