Page 45 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950515253545570 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to rant about rightwings and conservatives? This is your thread.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Want to rant about rightwings and conservatives? This is your thread.

There are more than a few "good Christians" that are pro-Israel but not very pro-Jewish. Anecdotally, the "loving and accepting" non-denominational church my fiance used to attend before she saw just how bad they were had a day where one parishioner was lamenting the fact that her daughter might convert to Judaism for her boyfriend/fiance. And it went beyond concern, as there was a particular venom to her "concerns" that is hard to describe. I actually was there on that particular day and it took a lot to not say anything. Pretty sure that was the last day she attended as well, or at least one of the last days.

Again, anecdotally, but you can certainly extrapolate from there.

In regards to Indiana, if I can find the details later I will, but the main issue is that parents will need to "approve" lessons well in advance. If they don't, you either have to excuse the students ahead of time or find another lesson to teach. You can see how this will become a problem very fast if you teach middle/high grades and you have 180 different sets of parents you need to "take into consideration", and you can ESPECIALLY see how that will become a problem if one or more families in particular have certain views that are not compatible with modern day civilities. It basically becomes impossible when you have parents with radically contrasting views...who do you listen to? Do you just excuse practically everyone and only teach a class of seven or eight each period?

And its Indiana. You will DEFINITELY find those types of parents. And the people that lose in this situation are the kids and the education system.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Default Re: Want to rant about rightwings and conservatives? This is your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
    There are more than a few "good Christians" that are pro-Israel but not very pro-Jewish. Anecdotally, the "loving and accepting" non-denominational church my fiance used to attend before she saw just how bad they were had a day where one parishioner was lamenting the fact that her daughter might convert to Judaism for her boyfriend/fiance. And it went beyond concern, as there was a particular venom to her "concerns" that is hard to describe. I actually was there on that particular day and it took a lot to not say anything. Pretty sure that was the last day she attended as well, or at least one of the last days.

Discussing contemporary attitudes among Christians toward Israel and/or the Jewish community is not the same as a simple lesson on the connection between the ancient Israelites and Christianity in religious terms.

The correct framing is that mainstream Christians and Jewish believers share some sacred texts (namely the books of the Old Testament), but differ on the nature of Christ (and therefore belief in the Gospels and the writings of Paul).

The claim that Christianity is “descended from Judaism” is contentious in the sense that Christians believe their faith to have existed in the beginning. At the top of their chart would be the Word, followed by the Mosaic teachings and then Christ’s ministry. That is to say that they view the whole text as Christian.

Teaching that Christianity “stole” the Old Testament is misleading and the loaded language is almost certain to be viewed as incendiary.

In regards to Indiana, if I can find the details later I will, but the main issue is that parents will need to "approve" lessons well in advance. If they don't, you either have to excuse the students ahead of time or find another lesson to teach. You can see how this will become a problem very fast if you teach middle/high grades and you have 180 different sets of parents you need to "take into consideration", and you can ESPECIALLY see how that will become a problem if one or more families in particular have certain views that are not compatible with modern day civilities. It basically becomes impossible when you have parents with radically contrasting views...who do you listen to? Do you just excuse practically everyone and only teach a class of seven or eight each period?

And its Indiana. You will DEFINITELY find those types of parents. And the people that lose in this situation are the kids and the education system.
    I can’t comment on a bill I haven’t seen, though I see no reason to be concerned about parental involvement in the curriculum. Nor do I believe that teachers should be deliberately causing students distress on the basis of their religion.
    Last edited by Cope; February 04, 2022 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    Discussing contemporary attitudes among Christians toward Israel and/or the Jewish community is not the same as a simple lesson on the connection between the ancient Israelites and Christianity in religious terms.

The correct framing is that mainstream Christians and Jewish believers share some sacred texts (namely the books of the Old Testament), but differ on the nature of Christ (and therefore belief in the Gospels and the writings of Paul).

The claim that Christianity is “descended from Judaism” is contentious in the sense that Christians believe their faith to have existed in the beginning. At the top of their chart would be the Word, followed by the Mosaic teachings and then Christ’s ministry. That is to say that they view the whole text as Christian.

Teaching that Christianity “stole” the Old Testament is misleading and the loaded language is almost certain to be viewed as incendiary.
    If he actually is a teacher and his post is an accurate reflection of his teaching method, it seems as though, from his position of "authority", he was deliberately attempting to be offensive to and troll children for his own amusement ('wub and giggles').

"Well GOP neocons are treating Israel like its a 51st state, at their own expense might I add, but they are still antisemitic or something, I can't tell why but its there, man.".

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    If he actually is a teacher and his post is an accurate reflection of his teaching method, it seems as though, from his position of "authority", he was deliberately attempting to be offensive to and troll children for his own amusement ('wub and giggles').
    I also noticed his triumphalism over having apparently attempted to goad minority students. Though I didn't understand why he believed that JWs/Mormons would be offended by the teaching that Christians and Jewish believers share sacred texts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    I also noticed his triumphalism over having apparently attempted to goad minority students. Though I didn't understand why he believed that JWs/Mormons would be offended by the teaching that Christians and Jewish believers share sacred texts.
    I took the reference to it as being part of Christianity (for JWs). As I recall (from back in the 70's at least) Jehovah's Witnesses, though considering themselves Christians, do not use the term "Christianity" in reference to themselves. I don't know if that has changed.

https://www.newsweek.com/censure-sta...course-1676505

These people literally tried to kill congress because they wanted to overturn a democratic election. Now the Republican party is saying they're in favor of this. In other words we can expect violence will be a big part of every Republican initiative from now on. They have embraced a creed of lawlessness where acts of political violence by rabid mobs are legitimate political activity.

With this, along with the 59 FAKE electors who forged documents to substitute themselves for the 59 REAL electors, the two drafts ordering voting machine seizures, attempts to get states to overturn their elections, and the attempt to get the DOJ to "just say it was corrupt" and trying to install Clark to do it, it's time to face reality. The Republican party is a criminal organization.
    Last edited by Coughdrop addict; February 05, 2022 at 05:01 AM.

Sounds like a good reason to shut down government schools.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    No it doesn't.

Of course. Can't have the menial classes learning too much can we? They might seek to rise above their station and challenge their wealthy betters.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

And now the "pastor" Greg Locke is making a bonfire with Harry Potter and Twilight because of their demonic influences on the youth in Tennessee.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...stor-tennessee

Hmm, this bonfires remember me on something, but i can't remember what it was...
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I mean, that's one way to read it.

It's hilariously and ignorantly wrong, but it is certainly a way to do it.

The less ignorant way of looking at it is " and giggles" means that I was including everything I could think of into the diagram. None of it was wrong and none of it was to provoke students. The kid was being lied to by his parents by thinking Catholicism is separate from Christianity and disrupting class in shouting about it. I calmly corrected that notion and the class actually quite enjoyed the chart at the end. Wish I could have saved it but eh, white boards.

@Cope
    though I see no reason to be concerned about parental involvement in the curriculum.
    Unless you are a teacher, you haven't had to deal with ignorant parents. Not even stupid parents. Just ignorant ones.

There is a fine line between parents being concerned with the overall class and actually listening to discussions about them, and intentionally sabotaging a curriculum because they don't like their precious Jonny learning about the Civil Rights era. Parents will certainly act in bad faith if this bill gets passed and survives legal challenges.

Again, it will only take one parent, out of potentially 180, to disrupt a high school history curriculum for one teacher, much less a whole school or district. You can't tell me there will not be at least one. This is just another stupid cog in the stupid culture war conservatives have been fomenting at the false belief that CRT (so scary :'( ) is rampantly being taught to students.

Nor do I believe that teachers should be deliberately causing students distress on the basis of their religion.
    It wouldn't need to be deliberate under the Oklahoma thing. It would simply need to be a teacher bringing up evolution as part of their science curriculum. Cue parental outrage. It also opens the door for people to use basis of religion to keep certain subjects in the classroom as well but I doubt they are thinking that far ahead. I hope savvy parents will say "Not teaching evolution goes against our religious beliefs" if that bill actually comes to pass.

Leave religious doctrine at Sunday school or pull your kids out and homeschool/private school them. Stop trying to ruin what little progress public schools can make in certain states. This is dragging us all down as a society.

@Podromos
    Oh yeah. Lets go back to the days where the only people who get education are those that can afford it. Lets make the achievement gap an uncrossable canyon. That will work out great in the long run.

Again, I am grateful for where I live. We are certainly not perfect and I will readily admit to that, but as some states are showing right now, it could definitely be worse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On another note, as Morticia has pointed out...I know its winter but those Good Christians With Good Morals in Tennessee know they can burn more appropriate things for warmth than books, right?

My only surprise is that they weren't burning Pokemon cards seeing as how they are already behind the times in a societal sense.

The same pastor who thinks kids with autism are possessed by demons. Those poor kids already get enough from society but I wouldn't be surprised if some Good Christian With Good Morals takes those words and kills their austistic child.

By the way, Podromos, did you know kids with autism get educational services because it is mandated by the government? Like, kids with disabilities can't be discriminated against when it comes to their educational services only because of government and government schools.

What do you think would happen to them if that was taken away?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit:
    Iowa now deciding to participate in the race to the bottom by considering a bill requiring classrooms have cameras in them. CRT so scawwy :'(

Surprisingly, they actually thought far enough ahead to exempt SpEd classes. Gold star for them. Unsurprisingly, they are too unenlightened to realize that people protected by SpEd laws don't just go to SpEd classrooms.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; February 05, 2022 at 08:10 PM.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Yep, it's a massive problem to what already is a massive workload for teachers. Many teachers are already strained having to design all their lessons around possibly hundreds of Improvised Education Plans (IEPs), ranging from extra time to take tests to the student needing an adult helper in the classroom. Those IEP-based lesson plans must also be all original, no copy-pasting (There can be no "Suzy has ADD, Johnny has ADD, so I'm going to just copy my plan for Suzy onto Johnny's course plan"). Any student with any possible disability or mental divergence, no matter how trivial, is eligible for one, and the teacher needs to design a specific and original course plan for each IEP in their class. It devalues the system which was meant for students with serious learning or behavioral disabilities or mental divergences that do require additional help.

Regarding Indiana, the fact is that most parents are in no way qualified to tell a college-educated teacher what that teacher can discuss in their class. There is already plenty (excessively so, in my opinion) oversight by the local School Boards and the State. You highlight an important point that this will be an utter waste of the teacher's time and will only further degrade the quality of education in an already crumbling system. What does the teacher do if the parents can't reach a consensus on deciding what to replace the old plan with? There can be no class, so do the students get a study hall until a consensus is found?

The mob is the worst authority for any kind of direction or guidance in executing a policy, and it is especially a grave mistake to consult them on what the curriculum should be.

This is really why religion should be kept out of public education in the first place. You can teach religion as an academic topic (it is, after all, critical to understanding History), but you need to stick to discussing the core beliefs and the tenets of the religion, without editorializing on it.

It is a challenge. I am working on a course proposal to teach a Middle Eastern History class, but I need to find the right tone to discuss Islam, particularly in the setting on a private Christian school. The best course I could theorize so far is to discuss the factual events of Mohammad's life, the core tenets of the faith for Sunni and Shia, the way Muslims use the holy texts like the Quran and Surah, and then the individual lives and behaviors of the major Muslim leaders from 600 through today. There is, in many cases, a lot to unpack: Islam officially bans alcohol, but in the early-modern era for example, heavy alcohol consumption was commonplace in Muslim courts such as that of Safavid Persia. Theory often does not translate into daily practice, and hypocrisy is rampant across any belief system, secular or spiritual.

Oh yeah. Lets go back to the days where the only people who get education are those that can afford it. Lets make the achievement gap an uncrossable canyon. That will work out great in the long run.
    That's not an argument for keeping government schools; at best it's an argument for subsidizing private education, but something tells me you're against that too.

Again, I am grateful for where I live. We are certainly not perfect and I will readily admit to that, but as some states are showing right now, it could definitely be worse.
    Would that be California by any chance?

https://www.thecentersquare.com/cali...e3f2486a0.html

The Californians for Equal Rights Foundation and three San Diego parents sued last September over the new curriculum that included teaching California’s 1.7 million high school students to recite prayers and chants to Aztec gods often used historically during ceremonies involving human sacrifice.

After four years of work on the curriculum and two years of debate and over 82,000 public comments, last March, the board adopted the Ethnic Studies curriculum largely rooted in critical race theory. It includes a section called, “Affirmation, Chants, and Energizers.” It also includes an Aztec prayer component called “In Lak Ech Affirmation,” which repeatedly invokes, makes intercessory requests and gives thanks to five Aztec deities by name.

“The Aztec prayers at issue – which seek blessings from and the intercession of these demonic forces – were not being taught as poetry or history,” Paul Jonna, partner at LiMandri & Jonna LLP and Thomas More Society Special Counsel, said in a statement. “Rather, the ESMC instructed students to chant the prayers for emotional nourishment after a ‘lesson that may be emotionally taxing or even when student engagement may appear to be low.’ The idea was to use them as prayers.”
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Under either the OK proposed law or the passed Indiana law, I could have been sued for such a factual lesson, for the simple fact that I "hurt a student's religious beliefs" or "Taught an unapproved lesson" since it was basically improvised.
    Is that true? Are you sure? Do you have link because ... I don't want to believe it. That sounds like Saudi Arabia, not a western Democracy. YOU MUST be exaggerating.

Thankfully, that sounds like very dysfunctional democracy, or better snowflakecracy, not semi-theocratic republic.
    The solution would be, IMO, for parents to elect directly in the state elections the guy responsible for approving the curriculum. So, those 180 sets of parents would be heard and the majority would prevail. If the majority of the parents want to ban Islam from being taught, so be it but don't be surprised if 8 years later the pendulum shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    And now the "pastor" Greg Locke is making a bonfire with Harry Potter and Twilight because of their demonic influences on the youth in Tennessee.

Hmm, this bonfires remember me on something, but i can't remember what it was...
    You can't be ing serious.
    That's it. The thread has become too depressive. I am out. I need a break.

@Chris, don't bother finding links buddy, I won't read them. The last few posts signficantly shook my faith in humanity.
    Last edited by alhoon; February 06, 2022 at 03:38 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Is that true? Are you sure? Do you have link because ... I don't want to believe it. That sounds like Saudi Arabia, not a western Democracy. YOU MUST be exaggerating.
    W/Regard to OK, it isn't true. I posted the proposal on the previous page (as usual I have to do the claimants research for them). The IN law wasn't cited, so we can't comment on that.

Thankfully, that sounds like very dysfunctional democracy, or better snowflakecracy, not semi-theocratic republic.
    The solution would be, IMO, for parents to elect directly in the state elections the guy responsible for approving the curriculum. So, those 180 sets of parents would be heard and the majority would prevail. If the majority of the parents want to ban Islam from being taught, so be it but don't be surprised if 8 years later the pendulum shifts.
    As above, the legislation wasn't cited. Based on what's been claimed before, I wouldn't be surprised if its being misrepresented.

Edit: I did some digging on the mentioned IN education bill, which I assume is Bill 167. Contrary to the claim the legislation had "passed", it appears that the bill did not make it through the senate and has been shelved. Panic over.
    Last edited by Cope; February 06, 2022 at 09:45 AM.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Quote Originally Posted by “Prodromos”
    That's not an argument for keeping government schools; at best it's an argument for subsidizing private education, but something tells me you're against that too.
    Eventually we’d get full circle with that proposition. If the government is paying money to even partially run schools, they get a say about how those schools are ran, leading to curriculum mandates and inane standardized tests to measure how well government money is “working.”

Private schools serve an important function. They tend to be better for high-performing academic students that public schools ignore (the chief concern is bringing up the lowest performers, not fostering the best - a losing strategy on a national level). Private schools serve religious communities who would prefer an alternative form of education that suits their beliefs. Yet, they are best executed when the government plays no hand in their day-to-day operation.
    Last edited by EmperorBatman999; February 07, 2022 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post

They've dropped all pretense and become the fascists they've always been at heart.

And it's not just this. The Republican party is number one on the list of horrific threats the United States faces.

-Under Trump the GOP has basically taken over the court system nationwide and is actively rigging elections at the local level through gerrymandering and legislation that strips people of voting rights.

-They're using school boards to ban books they don't like (Maus was a good one, gee wonder why they don't want kids reading about the holocaust..) under the guise of some non-existent CRT (SO SCAWWY!).

-They keep getting more and more involved with militia groups who actually DO want to kill everybody who isn't white or who is gay or Jewish.

All of this and more is why I still support this idea:

https://theweek.com/articles/954673/...mbers-congress
    The Constitution, as goofy and jerry-rigged as it is, stipulates that insurrectionists who violate their oath are not allowed to serve in Congress. Section 3 of the Fourteenth Amendment, written to exclude Confederate Civil War traitors, says that "No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress … who … having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress … to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same[.]" How the Supreme Court ruled, or whether Republicans actually believe their lunatic claims, is irrelevant. It's still insurrection even if it doesn't work out.

Democrats would have every right, both under the Constitution and under the principle of popular sovereignty outlined in the Declaration of Independence, to convene a traitor-free Congress (also including similar acts committed by Republican senators like Lindsey Graham, David Perdue, Kelly Loeffler, and others), and pass such laws as would be necessary to preserve the American republic. That might include a national popular vote to decide the presidency, ironclad voting rights protections, a ban on gerrymandering either national or state district boundaries, full representation for the citizens of D.C. and Puerto Rico, regulations on internet platforms that are inflaming violent political extremism, a clear legal framework for the transfer of power that ends the lame duck period, and so on. States would be forced to agree to these measures before they can replace their traitorous representatives and senators. If the Supreme Court objects, more pro-democracy justices can be added.

This wouldn't be the first time such a thing has happened, either. Immediately after the Civil War, the Radical Republican Congress refused to seat delegations from the former rebellious states until they were satisfied with the progress of Reconstruction. Southern states were forced to ratify the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Amendments — which guaranteed due process and universal male suffrage — before their congressional delegations would be seated. (As a consequence, those delegations included numerous Black representatives, until Reconstruction was overthrown.)

It is virtually impossible to imagine the ancient, timid fossils that run the Democratic Party even considering this kind of thing (though remarkably, Rep. Bill Pascrell of New Jersey has) because it would require courage, vision, and honestly reckoning with the parlous state of the nation. It would not be illegal, but it would be a step beyond narrow legal proceduralism and into the uncharted waters of aggressive political innovation and raw will-to-power. It could conceivably touch off armed unrest in several states.

But it's not hard to see where the current conservative trajectory is headed. While elected Republicans have tried to overturn the election using increasingly blatant methods, top conservative pundits are mulling the idea of secession, as their treasonous fire-eater forebears did 160 years ago. The lie that Biden stole the election is now official GOP dogma. By the same token, it is not a coincidence that the Republican Party is ignoring the deadly pandemic (if not actively spreading the virus) while they try to overturn the Constitution. They feel they can safely ignore the welfare of the American people, because they are not accountable to them.

Unless this escalating conservative extremism halts from the inside somehow — which is not remotely in sight anywhere — this can only end eventually in a violent confrontation, or (much more likely) Democrats will simply give up and let themselves be defeated. Still, this country was founded by people who thought it was worth putting their lives at hazard to throw off tyrannical rule. Perhaps some of that spirit can once again be found.

Oh yeah. Lets go back to the days where the only people who get education are those that can afford it.
    You do realize we are in those days, right?
    Back in early 1900s schoolchildren would learn ancient language and advanced sciences, today average HS graduates can read and write, maybe. Public education system in its current state is just a glorified government-sponsored daycare with very little academic merit, again, judging by the curriculum and general state of things. As quality of education reaches rock bottom, the number of "educated" simpletons who can barely read rises and system gets to pat itself in the back for "enlightening new generation".
    So yeah, if you want your kids to learn above the level of just being able to read and write, you either homeschool them or you go to moneystore and buy some moneybags, because boy those private schools aren't cheap.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/s...83986291941385

Mike Lindell went on an insane, manic rant tonight. He says that since Fox won’t run any of his “evidence” of voter fraud (lawsuits), he is going to have his cyber experts hack Sean Hannity’s show and air it during his time slot on Fox.
    Conservatism, not even once.