Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25506566676869707172737475
Results 1,481 to 1,491 of 1491

Thread: Want to rant about rightwings and conservatives? This is your thread.

Default Re: Want to rant about rightwings and conservatives? This is your thread.

https://www.newsweek.com/conservativ...inting-1753406

The Durham probe, which former President Donald Trump once said would uncover "the crime of the century"—a massive conspiracy to defame him and impede his victory in the 2016 election—ended up being a flop this week, much to the disappointment of MAGA Republicans.
    The three-and-a-half-year investigation led by special counsel John Durham into the origins of the 2016 FBI Trump-Russia report ended with a second trial loss on Tuesday, as Russian analyst Igor Danchenko was acquitted of all remaining charges against him, after a federal judge dismissed the first count against him on October 14.
    I know Republicans don't have a moral compass and do not value honesty in the slightest, but you would think by now that basic pattern recognition would lead them to understand that fairy tales and a persecution fetish don't hold up in court.

Default Re: Want to rant about rightwings and conservatives? This is your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Theres a lot of stabs at it, but thats about the size of it. Same as Christian morality in my view.

A rational look at history would demonstrate a wide range of views on incest. The fact you and I agree on a shared set of moral positions heartens me. If yours is rooted in scripture, then that's a sign we should follow more scripture. If its more about Roman secular law, ditto. Its a great strength of Christianity that it adopted intellectual and moral armature from mire than just scripture, including secular moral cobcepts like a revulsion to incest.

An idiot pundit gasbagging with a view to inflaming a debate between US political factions that claim ownership of morality Jesus and/or secularism is not a debate prompt, it's a sock full of turds.

Is Pragers frothing considered intellectual ammunition in US politics? Hes Marx tier garbage from the little I have seen.
    I think Prager was just making the point that a non-theistic worldview provides no rational basis for objective moral values and duties, which is a key premise of the Moral Argument for God and something accepted even by prominent atheist philosophers like Michael Ruse. I don't really care for Prager's political commentary, but on this point he's quite right.

Last edited by Prodromos; October 21, 2022 at 02:19 PM.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    I think Prager was just making the point that a non-theistic worldview provides no rational basis for objective moral values and duties, which is a key premise of the Moral Argument for God and something accepted even by prominent atheist philosophers like Michael Ruse. I don't really care for Prager's political commentary, but on this point he's quite right.

No hes not "right" hes a stirrer. An intelligent discussion of morality would include more than an assumed binary strawman bit of ****ery.

The Roman concepts of "incest bad" which appear nowhere in Scripture AFAIK but now feature largely in Christian (or at least Great Church, that is Irthodox and Catholic) moral teachings are as i have said secular in origin: indeed nany see rhem as fundamentally democratic in nature, the exact opposite of divine royal law.

As an agnostic i can put this down to God moving in mysterious ways.

Pragers garbage is anoit as helpful as some other dickhead nusing "if Christians are right why do 100% of them go to Hell?"

Either Prager is scriptural and favours suster wives or he accepts secular morality as superior to Scripture. Hows that for an oversimplified gotcha?
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

No hes not "right" hes a stirrer. An intelligent discussion of morality would include more than an assumed binary strawman bit of ****ery.

The Roman concepts of "incest bad" which appear nowhere in Scripture AFAIK but now feature largely in Christian (or at least Great Church, that is Irthodox and Catholic) moral teachings are as i have said secular in origin: indeed nany see rhem as fundamentally democratic in nature, the exact opposite of divine royal law.

As an agnostic i can put this down to God moving in mysterious ways.

Pragers garbage is anoit as helpful as some other dickhead nusing "if Christians are right why do 100% of them go to Hell?"

Either Prager is scriptural and favours suster wives or he accepts secular morality as superior to Scripture. Hows that for an oversimplified gotcha?
    I don't really see how just repeating "Christianity is pro-incest/polygamy/murder/whatever" over and over again actually rebuts the claim that morality is inherently religious and there's no secular argument for why incest (or anything, really) is objectively immoral.

Even if Christianity was a false religion or permitted incest or any other sin, it still wouldn't do anything to change the fact that an atheistic worldview can't rationally account for the existence of objective moral values and duties.
    Last edited by Prodromos; October 22, 2022 at 09:54 AM.

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Praeses

I don't really see how just repeating "Christianity is pro-incest/polygamy/murder/whatever" over and over again actually rebuts the claim that morality is inherently religious and there's no secular argument for why incest (or anything, really) is objectively immoral.

Even if Christianity was a false religion or permitted incest or any other sin, it still wouldn't do anything to change the fact that an atheistic worldview can't rationally account for the existence of objective moral values and duties.
    Yes it can. The Roman Republjc enunciated the concept of Mas Maorum, the tradjtuons of the peoole as a fundamental moral guide that underpinned their laws. They acknowledged a crwator and a compkex religious and philosophical apparatus but pragmatically accepted rssponsibiliry forctheir ethical choices, and equally pragmatically imposed them.

Secular reason can explore and describe human ethical responses, the desire for common beliefs and even theorise as to their origins and utility.

Old mate Prager faksely claims they do not.

The fact modern scientific praxis shies away from offering systems of moral judgement is itself an ethical decision. We leave laws not to God but to elected officials, those unchristian and unscriptural mainstays of human freedom.

Youre way too moral and smart to listen to this turd. Its fun to use clowns like him to bait argument but ges trash, lying journalistic trash.

https://www.newsweek.com/maga-rally-...ciples-1754087

Supporters of Donald Trump at the "Save America" rally in Robstown, Texas on Saturday branded themselves as "warriors," while some touted his "biblical principles."

Meanwhile, in another clip posted to Twitter by Filipkowski, a Trump supporter said that she drove 17 hours from Tennessee to attend the rally, which she said is her 30th rally to attend. She added that Trump "opened the people's eyes to the corruption in this government" and that "he did more than any president in the history of this country."
    And she probably moans constantly about inflation and the price of gas while throwing away money to hear Trump whine.

Yes it can. The Roman Republjc enunciated the concept of Mas Maorum, the tradjtuons of the peoole as a fundamental moral guide that underpinned their laws. They acknowledged a crwator and a compkex religious and philosophical apparatus but pragmatically accepted rssponsibiliry forctheir ethical choices, and equally pragmatically imposed them.

Secular reason can explore and describe human ethical responses, the desire for common beliefs and even theorise as to their origins and utility.

Old mate Prager faksely claims they do not.

The fact modern scientific praxis shies away from offering systems of moral judgement is itself an ethical decision. We leave laws not to God but to elected officials, those unchristian and unscriptural mainstays of human freedom.

Youre way too moral and smart to listen to this turd. Its fun to use clowns like him to bait argument but ges trash, lying journalistic trash.
    So, to put your argument into a syllogism:

Premise 1: Ancient Roman law punished incest
    Premise 2: ???
    Conclusion: Incest is objectively immoral

That doesn't follow. What's the unstated second premise? "Ancient Roman law is the arbiter of objective morality"? That'd be an odd claim considering Roman law also permitted rape and slavery.

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Praeses

So, to put your argument into a syllogism:

Premise 1: Ancient Roman law punished incest
    Premise 2: ???
    Conclusion: Incest is objectively immoral

That doesn't follow. What's the unstated second premise? "Ancient Roman law is the arbiter of objective morality"? That'd be an odd claim considering Roman law also permitted rape and slavery.
    Ah the syllogism, a secular philosophical tool adopted by the medieval church, how appropriate.

The second premise is, as a Thomist Christian philosopher should know, is God makes all that is good, so any good secular concept is naturaliter Christian.

More pragmatically a good christian like yourself and a weak agnostic like me can agree its good, whatever the basis of our belief, so it is so.

I agree Roman Law is not to be accepted holys bolus, and likewise most Christians believe this of Biblical Law.

Morals and ethics are demonstrably plastic over time,in both religious and secular contexts.

Prager flinging his own faeces around like a traumatised chimp in a zoo doesnt change that.

Just a side note, Roman law expressly forbade rape it's just the Romans defined consent differently to you and I. Depending on their social class a Roman woman required a male relatives instruction in matters of marriage, a senators son could forcibly marryoff his widowed mother if he so chose, then her husband had unrestricted sexual access which we might call rape but they did not.
    Last edited by Cyclops; October 23, 2022 at 02:47 PM.

The fact modern scientific praxis shies away from offering systems of moral judgement is itself an ethical decision.
    LOL no it doesn't. Modern scientific praxis is "pick cherries that people that fund the research like". If corrupt intelligence agencies and mentally ill globalist billionaires and their NGOs are replaced by, say, religious figures as primary funding source for research, you'll be surprised how quick modern scientific praxis will turn around and align itself with whatever system of moral judgement that is attached to that religion.

https://news.yahoo.com/man-dragged-o...162242439.html

A Tennessee man who dragged a police officer into a mob of rioters, initiating one of the most harrowing acts of violence during the U.S. Capitol attack, was sentenced on Thursday to more than seven years in prison.
    Albuquerque Cosper Head declined to address the court before U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson sentenced him to seven years and six months of imprisonment followed by three years of supervised release. The judge said Head was responsible for “some of the darkest acts committed on one of our nation’s darkest days.”
    Head's prison sentence is six months shy of the statutory maximum in his case. It's also the second-longest so far among hundreds of cases arising from the Capitol siege on Jan. 6, 2021, when a mob of Trump supporters stormed the building as Congress prepared to certify President Joe Biden's electoral victory.
    “The dark shadow of tyranny unfortunately has not gone away,” Jackson said. “There are people who are still disseminating the lie that the election was stolen. They’re doing it today. And the people who are stoking that anger for their own selfish purposes, they need to think about the havoc they’ve wreaked, the lives they’ve ruined.”
    Head engaged in some of the most barbaric violence during the Capitol riot, repeatedly assaulting police officers who were guarding a tunnel on the Lower West Terrace, according to prosecutors.
    Metropolitan Police Department Officer Michael Fanone was on the front lines of the battle for control of the tunnel entrance when Head grabbed him. Head yelled “I’ve got one!" as he wrapped his arms around Fanone's neck and dragged him into the crowd outside the tunnel, prosecutors said.
    “He was your prey. He was your trophy,” Jackson told Head, 43.
    Head restrained Fanone while other rioters beat and shocked the officer with a stun gun at the base of his skull. Fanone lost consciousness during the assault, which his body camera captured on video.
    I'm sure that even if this repulsive traitor could understand that his actions and behaviors-including 45 previous arrests(!)-have led him to where he is, he would still only be concerned with how they have affected him personally, giving no thought to the people he hurt.

Abdülmecid I's Avatar ¡Ay Carmela!
    Moderation Overseer Civitate Patrician

The thread seems tired and in dire need of a restful nap. Closed permanently. For an explanation, read here.