Page 10 of 75 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to rant about rightwings and conservatives? This is your thread.

Default Re: Want to rant about rightwings and conservatives? This is your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Seriously? Tucker is seriously feeling an oppressed fragile precious snowflake that feels threatened and uncomfortable when OTHER people wear masks?
    Yes. Because the brand of conservatism promoted by him and the other MAGAs boils down to "I should have total freedom to do whatever I want regardless of who gets hurt, but everyone else should do whatever I say and base their lives around my comfort."

During a ####ing Pandemic?
    Most of them still think it's just a cold and those who say they've had a family member die from it are liars and deep state agents. Or they assume it only affects the weak, not Übermensch like themselves.

Are you guys serious or trolling?
    Serious. Also apparently making kids were masks is child abuse.

Does Tucker feels oppressed if other people use condoms too?
    Only if they're white conservatives, who need to reproduce as much as possible to "beat" Muslims and Hispanics.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: Want to rant about rightwings and conservatives? This is your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    Yes. Because the brand of conservatism promoted by him and the other MAGAs boils down to "I should have total freedom to do whatever I want regardless of who gets hurt, but everyone else should do whatever I say and base their lives around my comfort."
    I think the actual point is that they want their "freedom" to include the freedom of not having to think about the needs of others, so they abhor any behaviour by others that might make them think about those - like a visible mask reminding you of your responsibility during the pandemic to prevent spreading of the Virus.

It is, in a way, the logical continuation of their very naive view on individual freedom that excludes any consideration for the welfare or freedom of others. The interesting point is that this excessive egoism leads to similar patterns as its counterpart, the excessive altruism of the identitarian left, namely that people should have a right to be even free of thoughts and perceptions they don't like.
    Last edited by Iskar; April 29, 2021 at 05:59 AM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    I think the actual point is that they want their "freedom" to include the freedom of not having to think about the needs of others, so they abhor any behaviour by others that might make them think about those - like a visible mask reminding you of your responsibility during the pandemic to prevent spreading of the Virus.

It is, in a way, the logical continuation of their very naive view on individual freedom that excludes any consideration for the welfare or freedom of others. The interesting point is that this excessive egoism leads to similar patterns as its counterpart, the excessive altruism of the identitarian left, namely that people should have a right to be even free of thoughts and perceptions they don't like.
    We call those snowflakes Iskar, to save ourselves from having to write 2 long sentences full of difficult words.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Moderator Emeritus

That is a convenient abbreviation, if one knows what is being abbreviated. Personally I find the aspect important that the urge to enforce or forbid certain behaviour is likely based on a lack of consideration for others - even if superficially the stated positions talk a lot about other people.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Fear not MAGAs! The Republican Party remains committed to stamping out the scourge of Black voting voter fraud wherever it might appear!

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/ele...-drop-n1265765

Moderator Emeritus

Vote by Mail doesn't affect only minority voters. It affects everyone. IT WILL eventually bite Republicans in the butt. Their voters are getting older. The guy that is now 65 years old, in 8 years he will be 73 years old and he may end up not voting because he can't do it easily by mail.

THAT SAID

- a ban on moving drop boxes within 30 days of elections. <== That's good.
    - a requirement that they would all have to be monitored by elections officials whenever they're open <=== that's mandatory and should certainly be done.
    - The bill would also [...] prohibit election officials from using private money to help pay for election administration <=== very good
    - restrict third-party voter registration organizations <=== no idea what that is, so I don't know whether it is good or bad

Now, about this:
    "add new powers for partisan election observers and give DeSantis the leeway to appoint replacements to fill certain local political positions vacated by people running for higher office"
    Florida is neck-to-neck between Democrats and Republicans. That will bite Republicans in the butt as they will not hold Florida for ever. Very shortsighted and very undemocratic. It is bad under Republicans and it will be bad under Democrats. Once democrats win Florida, I doubt they will be rushing to abolish that part of the law.
    "Democratic state Sen. Audrey Gibson said the measure was an "attempt to create a monarchy" by giving the governor more power." It is. It clearly is.
    Let's see if Audrey Gibson would say the same when a democrat is the monarch governor

"Democrats blasted the bill as being aimed at restricting minority voters and Democrats, who relied on mail voting mail and drop boxes in significant numbers during the presidential election."
    The bill is aimed at restricting mail-in-voting.
    The PAST election, voting by mail was much more democrat than Republican because of the Pandemic and because Trump told his cult to risk their lives to vote in person for the lulz.
    In the NEXT elections, vote by mail will not be as important AND it will not be predominantly democrat.

So... Republicans simply anger people and lose votes from their older people in 2022 and 2024. Everyone should be blasting the bill as being aimed at restricting old and disabled people votes. That's what the bill does. It does not disadvantage predominantly minorities.
    It is, simply put, a stupid measure for the Republicans, giving very questionable powers to the governor that NOW happens to be Republican but may not be Republican in a few years and then Republicans would say "oh, Feck".
    Last edited by alhoon; May 02, 2021 at 08:54 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Vote by mail is one of the dumber ideas America has had.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Moderator Emeritus

How so? It's a common thing in many countries and I don't see any drawbacks. It allows many people with tight schedules or health problems to vote which increases turnout - which is a good thing.

The main problem of the bill is the restriction on third party voter registration organisations: Due to Americans' irrational fear of identity documents and automatically kept citizen registers every potential voter needs to actively register for being admitted to voting (think of the absurdity: having to apply for exercising a constitutional right!), and since there is no standardised ID card, you need to come up with anything semi-official to prove your identity, driver's licences, electricity bills, etc. Socioeconomically weak people disproportionately do not have easily accessible identity documents and/or are more daunted by the official proceedings requiring them to prove their identity and the registration itself. As such, the requirement for active voter registration (rather than passive admission as in many other countries with working citizen registers), disproportionately keeps the poor and uneducated out of the voting process.
    That is where voter registration organisations come in that go round and help socioeconomically weak people to register for their constitutional right to vote. Now since these voter groups disproportionately vote democrat, the republicans use the curtailing of these third party services as a way of suppressing democrat vote.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

There are plenty of drawbacks to it from making a branch of government extremely bribable, ballots being lost, extreme ease of fraud. If politician 1 says he will cu mail jobs and salaries and politician 2 says he will do the opposite, how many postal workers do you think will not give in to the temptation of throwing away votes for politician 1. Very very few.

There are plenty of remote voting alternatives that are much more secure and faster than mail ballots including voting by phone, electronic voting, mobile urn, etc etc. Just because other countries practice it does not mean it's a good idea.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    There are plenty of drawbacks to it from making a branch of government extremely bribable, ballots being lost, extreme ease of fraud. If politician 1 says he will cu mail jobs and salaries and politician 2 says he will do the opposite, how many postal workers do you think will not give in to the temptation of throwing away votes for politician 1. Very very few.
    Pure conjecture on your part. You assume with no evidence whatsoever that Democratic postal employees' lives are defined by party affiliation and they will commit crimes to aid their party. By your logic Republican doctors cannot be trusted not to give in to the temptation of intentionally killing Black patients to reduce the number of Democratic voters.

Also general election ballots are not labeled with party affiliation. Did Trump not tell you that?

There are plenty of remote voting alternatives that are much more secure and faster than mail ballots including voting by phone, electronic voting, mobile urn, etc etc. Just because other countries practice it does not mean it's a good idea.
    How are the postal workers going to see for which candidate the ballot was cast in a sealed envelope?
    Optio, Legio I Latina

There are plenty of remote voting alternatives that are much more secure and faster than mail ballots including voting by phone, electronic voting, mobile urn
    I do not know what a mobile urn is, but telephone and electronic voting do not satisfy the needs of truly anonymous and reliable voting that also makes voter coercion impossible. Furthermore, in my country the principle is that the system should not allow for any credible suspicion of fraud. Even small, local fraud should be extremely hard to orchestrate and widespread practically impossible. Electronic voting is strongly advocated against by associations of IT professionals who are invested in the matter. There is no guarantee that an electronic system cannot be compromised by deliberate action or accident (there are examples of that happening), and that alone is grounds for not considering one. What happened in the US recently is a perfect example of mere suspicion causing people to lose faith in the democratic process.

In my country, to give an example, there is no way that a spouse will learn who you voted for unless you tell because not even a child is allowed in the voting booth with you. If someone makes you take a photo of your filled-in ballot in the booth, you can take the photo and then fill in another ballot to take to the urn / ballot box.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromovnik View Post
    How are the postal workers going to see for which candidate the ballot was cast in a sealed envelope?
    I guess it depends on the country, but in many places postal workers will know what area the envelopes come from.
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; May 03, 2021 at 01:37 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Last night Tucker Carlson who we could nickname Tucky Bear if we were small children in our mentality and nicknamed politicians, stated that 30 people a day are dying of the covid vaccine. He had to churn data into such a sham that even the Daily Mail called him out on it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-vaccines.html

This is why people the world over think the US Right is a bastion of science denialism. (Which it is tbf)

Astrazeneca vaccine has a certain probability to kill people, even a few days ago a 35 year old military man soon to be a father died because of it in Spain.
    Being cautious or even denying to take the vaccine isn't the same as science denialism.

At any case is there anyone who trusts mainstream media this days? specially Fox and CNN? they are propaganda machines.

Indefinitely Banned

Covid is more dangerous than any of the vaccines. Driving is more dangerous. Taking a shower is more dangerous. A lot of wimps in the world c'est la vie.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by enoch View Post
    Last night Tucker Carlson who we could nickname Tucky Bear if we were small children in our mentality and nicknamed politicians, stated that 30 people a day are dying of the covid vaccine. He had to churn data into such a sham that even the Daily Mail called him out on it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-vaccines.html

This is why people the world over think the US Right is a bastion of science denialism. (Which it is tbf)
    What the hell... is that guy crazy? Is there a reason while he spews such crap? You can tempt old people to die for Trump without presenting very-easy-to-deny crap. I mean the people that heard that probably know of people dying from CoVID. Their states probably report over 30 people dead/day.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Astrazeneca vaccine has a certain probability to kill people, even a few days ago a 35 year old military man soon to be a father died because of it in Spain.
    Being cautious or even denying to take the vaccine isn't the same as science denialism.
    It isn't science denialism but let's not forget that eating grapes has a certain probability to kill people.
    Funny, I would mention that allowing people to carry guns also has a certain probability to kill people. Higher than the Astrazeneca probably...

At any case is there anyone who trusts mainstream media this days? specially Fox and CNN? they are propaganda machines.
    I don't trust those two, but I trust BBC.
    Last edited by alhoon; May 07, 2021 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    What the hell... is that guy crazy? Is there a reason while he spews such crap? You can tempt old people to die for Trump without presenting very-easy-to-deny crap. I mean the people that heard that probably know of people dying from CoVID. Their states probably report over 30 people dead/day.
    The reason is the Republican party relies on keeping their voters stupid. The last thing they want is their voters thinking "I got the Covid Vaccine and I didn't drop dead. People I know who didn't get the vaccine got sick and some of them died. Maybe the Democrats and scientists were telling me the truth all along. Hey...if they were telling the truth this time, does that mean they're not always wrong about everything?"

Moderator Emeritus

Also, any progress in the vaccination campaign and punching the virus into submission will now be attributed to a democrat administration. Hence it is quite rational for a wide-eyed Trumpist like Tucker to now discredit the same vaccination campaign he would have praised as the pinnacle of civilisation (remember "warp speed") half a year earlier.

Moderator Emeritus

To be fair to Trump, Biden's administration thanked the Trump-era people for their efforts on the rollout of the Vaccine. Bidet himself seems to implicitly have recognized that as well since he was vowing X vaccinations in the first 100 days ... that were surpassed in the first 40 or something and largely thanks to what Trump's administration was doing. While on the trail, Biden probably believed Democrat propaganda that the rollout under Trump would be horrifyingly bad so he presented what was (at the time) a modestly optimistic rollout promise if the underlying assumption on chaos and incompetence was true. It was not true, so Biden's promises were surpassed in lighting speed.

The Trump administration was not trying to have more people die by coronavirus (that was just Tucker, Trump, and a few governors (including democrat Cuomo) not everyone) and they did their best to have a good rollout and it worked. Biden mostly left it on the autopilot and the rollout Trump's administration planned took wing.

Still, I have to say this: Trump managed be responsible for more American deaths than any foreign leader since WW2 ended. Making masks a political issue? Really?
    Last edited by alhoon; May 07, 2021 at 06:54 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

No disagreement there, but would you expect the average Trumpist to be capable or willing to employ such nuance?