Page 14 of 75 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223243964 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to rant about rightwings and conservatives? This is your thread.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Want to rant about rightwings and conservatives? This is your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromovnik View Post
    Oh, but they supported a pedo for Jesus and America. So it's OK.
    If that is their reasoning, they should also sit down and think again about their understanding of what Jesus said.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Default Re: Want to rant about rightwings and conservatives? This is your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post

You guys... I am fresh from the anti-progressive thread. You really make me hate politics.

I have no words.

Greene should take a better look at the people that burned the Reichstag broke in Capitol Hill if she wants to find nazis.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...st-jews-in?amp

She's doubling down.

Everyone that supported that pedo's run should sit down and think: "I supported a pedo. Perhaps I should stop trusting my instincts and listen to what non-pedo-supporters have to say and do a lot more thinking next time."
    They'll just say it's fake news, or the girl must have been working for Soros. There is no action a Republican voter will not overlook short of contradicting Trump.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...g-spree-547906

JUNE 3--A 70-year-old Ohio man who told cops he was a “Trump man” confessed to repeatedly urinating and defecating in front of a neighbor’s home because the residents "are Democrats and support Joe Biden," according to a police report.
    Doesn't he know he's supposed to smear his feces on the US Capitol to express his contempt for America like a true Trump supporter?

Moderator Emeritus

https://naacp.org/resources/criminal-justice-fact-sheet

Here's a few tidbits:
    "5% of illicit drug users are African American, yet African Americans represent 29% of those arrested and 33% of those incarcerated for drug offenses."
    "African Americans and whites use drugs at similar rates, but the imprisonment rate of African Americans for drug charges is almost 6 times that of whites."
    +
    "35% of the individuals executed under the death penalty within the last 40 years have been Black. African Americans represent only 13% of the general population."

Nothing systemic here. Minorities just happen to be much more unlucky in their choice of lawyers, right? <=== sarcasm.

NOTE: I hate SJWs. But it's not Racist / SJW. One should not be a blinded fanatic of either side. If every last SJW left for Canada tomorrow, strongly conservative and xenophobic parties in Europe and hardcore xenophobic senators and representatives in USA would lose the elections as the world would breath free and be able to vote their conscience.
    SJWs are the reason Johnson, Sweden Democrats and Trump won.
    So, don't call me SJW because I simply mention the undeniable fact that there's systemic racism in USA.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Indefinitely Banned

There is a wide possible debate on how influential systemic racism is and what are the best ways to address it. This debate starts with the undeniable fact Alhoon states, systemic racism EXISTS and SHOULD be addressed by society.

The pretend that liberals are brainwashed by the right is the silliest. Demographics for decades and even for centuries have been a slow crawl towards decency. This is just the latest slog.

The greatest opponents of the future most always are the old and the religiously fundamental and those lacking access to education. It’s not rocket science.

https://naacp.org/resources/criminal-justice-fact-sheet

Here's a few tidbits:
    "5% of illicit drug users are African American, yet African Americans represent 29% of those arrested and 33% of those incarcerated for drug offenses."
    "African Americans and whites use drugs at similar rates, but the imprisonment rate of African Americans for drug charges is almost 6 times that of whites."
    +
    "35% of the individuals executed under the death penalty within the last 40 years have been Black. African Americans represent only 13% of the general population."

Nothing systemic here. Minorities just happen to be much more unlucky in their choice of lawyers, right? <=== sarcasm.
    The mere existence of racial disparity doesn’t tell us much about the causes. For example, 25% of drug trafficking offenders, 56% of homicide offenders and 29% of non fatal violent crime offenders are black. This would likely confound corresponding disparities in drug offenses or death row population.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thesaurian View Post
    The mere existence of racial disparity doesn’t tell us much about the causes. For example, 25% of drug trafficking offenders, 56% of homicide offenders and 29% of non fatal violent crime offenders are black. This would likely confound corresponding disparities in drug offenses or death row population.
    The claim that "only 5% of illicit drug users are African American" is curious given that it is also claimed that African Americans and white Americans "use drugs at similar rates". If my math is correct that would mean that ~70% of the illicit drug users in the US are either non-white Hispanic or Asian American (which seems highly unlikely).

On the point about arrest/incarceration rates, I wonder the following: (a) the extent to which the cited figure considers distribution as opposed to simple possession; (b) the extent to which it considers the severity of law by state, noting that southern states where African Americans make up a much larger share of the population than average may have harsher drug laws; and (c) the extent to which the historic emphasis on opposing crack continues to skew the numbers.

Unless I missed it, the NACCP doesn't offer citations for their numbers, so it's difficult to scrutinize the detail.
    Last edited by Cope; June 13, 2021 at 02:09 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

5% of African Americans and 5% of whites not the same number.

Quote Originally Posted by Cope
    On the point about arrest/incarceration rates, I wonder the following: (a) the extent to which the cited figure considers distribution as opposed to simple possession; (b) the extent to which it considers the severity of law by state, noting that southern states where African Americans make up a much larger share of the population than average may have harsher drug laws;
    It’s actually even simpler than that. 99.5% of federal drug offenders in prison were sentenced for trafficking, and 24% of drug convictions involve a gun. This makes sense given those types of crimes normally carry longer sentences than simple possession. To compare this to drug users in the general public as an indication of disparity, let alone racism, is inherently misleading.
    the extent to which the historic emphasis on opposing crack continues to skew the numbers.
    Contrary to the popular narrative, crack and powder cocaine convictions comprise roughly equal portions (26% vs 28%) of the federal drug offenders in prison. 12% of these are there for marijuana, and 13.9% of the latter are black. 13.4% of the US population is black. Racial drug disparity in federal prison thus probably has more to do with trafficking and hard drugs than with POC kids caught smoking a joint.

https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/pdf/dofp12.pdf
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; June 13, 2021 at 11:01 AM.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Federal drug offenses are different from all drug offenses though; I'd wager that the vast majority of convicted drug offenders were not charged with federal drug crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    Federal drug offenses are different from all drug offenses though; I'd wager that the vast majority of convicted drug offenders were not charged with federal drug crimes.
    I would imagine the federal level to be key to any “systemic” claims. Only 15% of prisoners overall (14% of black state prisoners) were convicted for a drug offense as the “most serious,” meaning drug offenses comprise a much lower portion than the federal level specifically. The majority of state prisoners are in for a violent offense as the most serious. Among state prisoners’ most serious offenses, 80% of black inmates are there for violent crime, theft/fraud, or weapons charges.

https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/pdf/p16.pdf

https://www.axios.com/desantis-law-c...4ffbc38ef.html

Long story short, DeSantis wants a database of thought criminals student and faculty political beliefs.

Absolutely this isn't so the liberals can be identified and singled out.

And DEFINITELY not so they can be punished by the state for their beliefs.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    https://www.axios.com/desantis-law-c...4ffbc38ef.html

Long story short, DeSantis wants a database of thought criminals student and faculty political beliefs.

Absolutely this isn't so the liberals can be identified and singled out.

And DEFINITELY not so they can be punished by the state for their beliefs.

:/

For starters, while Coughdrop's synopsis isn't correct, the matter remains that DeSantis wants surveys to see if Universities are turning people more leftwing. Even if the surveys are anonymous (there is absolutely no evidence the surveys would have names) this is indeed a very dangerous move when coupled with his words that schools that in his opinion are spreading the "wrong" ideas should be defunded.

I agree that universities should NOT be bullying and coercing people to accept rubbish progressive agenda. But I am 100% against the state intervening to push its own orthodoxy.
    There are much much better ways to incentivize schools to not be hotbeds of rubbish ideology and in the end: If they want to do that, it's freedom of speech. Even for people you disagree with. Even if it means people use that freedom of speech to call people that disagree with their perverse progressive ideas names and ostracize them.

Thankfully, people can AND WILL answer bullcrap in those surveys. Like the one about religion in UK.

If I was on those Unis, I would say that I am from Alpha Centauri and my religion is worshiping the post-gender version of Donald Trump.
    Last edited by alhoon; June 24, 2021 at 10:12 AM.

I'm not sure Florida has a law against lying short of perjury anyway.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

The legislation does not state or suggest that students or faculty will be directly questioned on their personal political beliefs. From the text:

The State Board of Education shall select or create an objective, nonpartisan, and statistically valid survey to be used by each institution which considers the extent to which competing ideas and perspectives are presented and members of the college community, including students, faculty, and staff, feel free to express their beliefs and viewpoints on campus and in the classroom.
    Last edited by Cope; June 24, 2021 at 01:04 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

The legislation does not state or suggest that students or faculty will be directly questioned on their personal political beliefs. From the text:
    I Assumed it does not, but saying things like "Your university is too leftwing. No money for you" is beyond the pale. It's not USSR level but it is getting there.

On other news, on the Returdicans blocking the voting rights bill: https://www.axios.com/senate-republi...ebddf5d00.html
    " Republicans have condemned the Democratic efforts as an unconstitutional "power grab." "
    I didn't know that in USA efforts to give vote to people is considered an unconstitutional power grab. In fact, I would think it as a constitutional powergrab... of the people. Not the party.

I Assumed it does not, but saying things like "Your university is too leftwing. No money for you" is beyond the pale. It's not USSR level but it is getting there
    Taxpayers are entitled to know what is being taught in the institutions they fund and insist that they conform to certain standards (in this case with regard to the 1A). Universities are not simply entitled to state subsidization irrespective of performance.

Moderator Emeritus

Taxpayers are entitled to know what is being taught in the institutions they fund and insist that they conform to certain standards (in this case with regard to the 1A). Universities are not simply entitled to state subsidization irrespective of performance.

They are entitled money irrespective of political leaning though. If the performance of the unis is sliding, yes, the state should step in. If the political leanings of the university are not what the state wants?! Hell no. That's why there was Academic freedom since the middle ages.

@Thesaurian: Wrong thread, friend.

They are entitled money irrespective of political leaning though. If the performance of the unis is sliding, yes, the state should step in. If the political leanings of the university are not what the state wants?! Hell no. That's why there was Academic freedom since the middle ages.
    No, they aren't.
    Last edited by Cope; June 24, 2021 at 06:52 PM.

https://thehill.com/changing-america...and-faculty-be

Under House Bill 233, surveys would be conducted annually on campuses to assess viewpoint diversity and intellectual freedom, and determine “the extent to which competing ideas and perspectives are presented,” and whether students and faculty “feel free to express beliefs and viewpoints on campus and in the classroom.”
    While DeSantis likely has no real core beliefs except "Me First!" and would probably go full communist in an instant if he thought it would help him in the least, there is a very good reason right-wing politicians see universities and education in general as a dire threat. Educated, critical thinkers are more likely to believe that facts are checkable, you need evidence to prove something is real, and truth exists and can be distinguished from lies. If these ideas became widely embraced, the outlook for the Republican party would be grim indeed.