Page 54 of 75 FirstFirst ... 429444546474849505152535455565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1491

Thread: Want to rant about rightwings and conservatives? This is your thread.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Want to rant about rightwings and conservatives? This is your thread.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/house-gop...183257703.html

"A bill to name a federal courthouse in Tallahassee, Florida, after Justice Joseph W. Hatchett, the first Black man to serve on the Florida Supreme Court — sponsored by the state’s two Republican senators [...] was set to pass the House last month and become law with broad bipartisan support.
    But in a last-minute flurry, Republicans abruptly pulled their backing with no explanation and ultimately killed the measure."

Why?
    Let's take it from one of the Republicans that voted to kill that non-issue their party pushed:

Asked what made him vote against a measure that he had co-sponsored, Rep. Vern Buchanan, R-Fla., was brief and blunt.
    “I don’t know,” he said.

That clears it up, doesn't it?
    " With little notice and nothing more than a 23-year-old news clipping, a right-wing, first-term congressman mounted an eleventh-hour effort on the House floor to convince his colleagues that Hatchett, a trailblazing judge who broke barriers as the first Black State Supreme Court justice south of the Mason-Dixon Line, was undeserving of being honored. "

Soooo great.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Default Re: Want to rant about rightwings and conservatives? This is your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/house-gop...183257703.html

"A bill to name a federal courthouse in Tallahassee, Florida, after Justice Joseph W. Hatchett, the first Black man to serve on the Florida Supreme Court — sponsored by the state’s two Republican senators [...] was set to pass the House last month and become law with broad bipartisan support.
    But in a last-minute flurry, Republicans abruptly pulled their backing with no explanation and ultimately killed the measure."

Why?
    Let's take it from one of the Republicans that voted to kill that non-issue their party pushed:

Asked what made him vote against a measure that he had co-sponsored, Rep. Vern Buchanan, R-Fla., was brief and blunt.
    “I don’t know,” he said.

That clears it up, doesn't it?
    " With little notice and nothing more than a 23-year-old news clipping, a right-wing, first-term congressman mounted an eleventh-hour effort on the House floor to convince his colleagues that Hatchett, a trailblazing judge who broke barriers as the first Black State Supreme Court justice south of the Mason-Dixon Line, was undeserving of being honored. "

Soooo great.
    They know their voters would be up in arms. "What next, naming a courthouse after A WOMAN?! It's CRT!"

As if we needed more evidence that in a Republican-controlled US, Blacks have no place but as a brutally-repressed underclass.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    They know their voters would be up in arms. "What next, naming a courthouse after A WOMAN?! It's CRT!"

As if we needed more evidence that in a Republican-controlled US, Blacks have no place but as a brutally-repressed underclass.
    Dude, it was Republicans that proposed naming that courthouse after that judge. And Black Republican congressmen downvoted it.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

I meant to say "They should have known their voters would be up in arms."

There are Black/Gay/Female and even Hispanic Republicans, this is true. But their core voting base, without whom they would never win any elections, remains strongly against those groups and woulds prefer they remain out of sight and far below themselves. The base will tolerate them in office if they tow the party line (white male heterosexual Christians are oppressed and persecuted and there is rampant voter fraud in US elections), but should they deviate from that party line they will be attacked viciously and cast out.

In other news: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...d-voter-rolls/

Mark Meadows, a former top Trump aide,has been removed from the voter rolls in North Carolina as the state investigates allegations that he committed voter fraud in the 2020 election, election officials said Wednesday.

Meadows, who served two terms as a congressman from North Carolina before becoming President Donald Trump’s White House chief of staff, has helped promote Trump’s baseless claims that widespread voter fraud delivered the presidency to Joe Biden. But his withering rhetoric about potential voter fraud has clashed with reports in recent weeks that Meadows registered to vote in 2020 using the address of a North Carolina mobile home he never stayed in.

Those reports prompted North Carolina state investigators to launch a probe last month into Meadows’s voter registration. On Monday, Macon County officials “administratively removed the voter registration of Mark Meadows … after documentation indicated he lived in Virginia and last voted in the 2021 election there,” North Carolina State Board of Elections spokesman Patrick Gannon said in a statement Wednesday.

A black woman got years in prison, and was not blatantly attempting to break the law like Meadows was. But because he is a Republican with white skin we can assume Meadows will face no jail time.

Moderator Emeritus

The reason Meadows will get a lighter sentence is that he is very well connected and a congressman. He is a powerful man, not a nobody.

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

The reason Meadows will get a lighter sentence is that he is very well connected and a congressman. He is a powerful man, not a nobody.
    Nah, its just a matter of skin-colour - everything else is irrelevant!1!!1 *Moronic CRT and woke-junk-mode switched off*

- A
    -----------------
    BTW, my identity is solely determined by my
    blue eyes, everything else is so secondary....

Are we to assume all these white republican guys are congressmen too?

@ Axalon sounds like CRT is real buddy. Cope.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

I don't think a white man would be toggled down to the Earth and then shot in the back of his head. Like these days in Rapid Springs.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBN View Post
    @ Axalon sounds like CRT is real buddy. Cope.
    Nah, CRT still looks like BS to me (simply put)… That said this given case does stink to high heaven - assuming that all the information (provided by your clip) is accurate all over. If true, she should not be punished for others screw ups (be it authorities or otherwise). Totally granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    I don't think a white man would be toggled down to the Earth and then shot in the back of his head. Like these days in Rapid Springs.
    I don’t condone what happened there at all, but it is rather clear to me - after seeing released videos of the event - that this guy (Patrick Lyoya) did more or less everything wrong and he paid with his life for it. He played with fire (the police) and ended up losing everything (his life). The Policeman wanted/demanded control and was repeatedly denied just that (regardless of what one might think of his actions). Had it been a white guy it probably could have ended up in the very same way - had he too done the same (idiotic) things. CBS-news (for instance) has more info…

- A

Moderator Emeritus

Are we to assume all these white republican guys are congressmen too?

Nope, but they are elected representatives or well connected members of the party too. Again, not nobodies but people with connections.
    That said, what happened to that woman was a travesty. 6 years over this?! Unless I understand that video wrong, she did not try to vote! She tried to see if SHE COULD vote.
    Let me guess, the guys supposed to clean the records didn't get even a slap on the hand over this, while she was royally screwed. That is horrendous.
    Horrendous.

There are things like these that I use as answers to people asking me "Why don't you emigrate to the USA for work? XXX uni needs people with your qualifications."
    Progressive states have the pink-haired weirdos and PC-thugs. Conservative states would see me as a filthy immigrant and their justice sucks butt. No thanks. I prefer to be poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    1)Nah, CRT still looks like BS to me (simply put)… That said this given case does stink to high heaven - assuming that all the information (provided by your clip) is accurate all over. If true, she should not be punished for others screw ups (be it authorities or otherwise). Totally granted.

2)I don’t condone what happened there at all, but it is rather clear to me - after seeing released videos of the event - that this guy (Patrick Lyoya) did more or less everything wrong and he paid with his life for it. He played with fire (the police) and ended up losing everything (his life). The Policeman wanted/demanded control and was repeatedly denied just that (regardless of what one might think of his actions). Had it been a white guy it probably could have ended up in the very same way - had he too done the same (idiotic) things. CBS-news (for instance) has more info…

- A
    1) Then maybe you don't know what CRT is.

2) There's recent video of a white woman armed with a knife in a supermarket. Police shot her... With a taser. How many more folks need to be gunned down before something in your brain starts connecting the dots?

There are things like these that I use as answers to people asking me "Why don't you emigrate to the USA for work? XXX uni needs people with your qualifications."
    Progressive states have the pink-haired weirdos and PC-thugs. Conservative states would see me as a filthy immigrant and their justice sucks butt. No thanks. I prefer to be poor.
    I've even got double citizenship but I'm fine with staying in Europe.
    Last edited by Bande Nere; April 15, 2022 at 03:55 AM.

Wait, what was their defense again? Entrapment?
    As in claiming the governor tried to get them to kidnap them or something less stupid? It can't be that stupid.
    The trial of the ACAB, anti-Trump anarchists charged in the Whitmer kidnap plot ended last week with two acquitted, and a mistrial declared for two others:

"Jurors acquitted two men Friday accused of plotting to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and deadlocked on charges against the two alleged ringleaders, delivering a staggering blow to the government in one of the largest domestic terrorism cases in recent U.S. history."

"Defense lawyers spent months raising questions about FBI agent conduct and claiming that a team of investigators and informants orchestrated the conspiracy and entrapped the four men, a ragtag band of social outcasts who harbored antigovernment views and anger over restrictions imposed by Whitmer."
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ct/9487618002/

Funny how the same entrapment argument did not work for Shahawar Matin Siraj that was contacted by FBI, radicalized, given bomb construction instructions and help to plant it. He is serving a 30 year sentence now.
    The Armenian Issue

They're white male conservatives plotting to kill a democrat. Had they actually murdered Whitmer I'd be surprised if they even had to pay a fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    The trial of the ACAB, anti-Trump anarchists charged in the Whitmer kidnap plot ended last week with two acquitted, and a mistrial declared for two others:
    You mean the right wing militia guys who heard Trump's "Liberate Michigan" and decided that was an order for them? Those "antiTurmp anarchists"?

You mean the right wing militia guys who heard Trump's "Liberate Michigan" and decided that was an order for them? Those "antiTurmp anarchists"?
    The "Wolverine Watchmen" (the group that some of the defendants are/were associated with) is an extreme anti-government militia. I haven't seen any evidence that it was right wing, conservative or Trumpist. Caserta (one of the defendants who was acquitted) was filmed denouncing Trump as a government agent and criticizing the police. He repeatedly appeared on video displaying anarchist symbols.

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    The "Wolverine Watchmen" (the group that some of the defendants are/were associated with) is an extreme anti-government militia. I haven't seen any evidence that it was right wing, conservative or Trumpist. Caserta (one of the defendants who was acquitted) was filmed denouncing Trump as a government agent and criticizing the police. He repeatedly appeared on video displaying anarchist symbols.
    Well, I don't know.
    I have been reliably informed that all the 'trump is a tyrant', acab, anarchist stuff and attending blm rallies in the months or years before the kidnap plot was done because Trump did not pardon them.
    Or something...

1) Then maybe you don't know what CRT is.
    That is a possibility… I'll refer to the Encyclopaedia Britannica definition so we can eliminate that possibility, alright? CRT is defined as, and I quote…

“Critical race theory is an intellectual movement and a framework of legal analysis according to which (1) race is a culturally invented category used to oppress people of colour and (2) the law and legal institutions in the United States are inherently racist insofar as they function to create and maintain social, political, and economic inequalities between white and nonwhite people.”

This means that CRT has basically two main ideas/notions that it propagates and who also defines and carry it. Again, I quote…

“(1) race is a culturally invented category used to oppress people of colour”
    “(2) the law and legal institutions in the United States are inherently racist insofar as they function to create and maintain social, political, and economic inequalities between white and nonwhite people.”

I'll start with pointing out that the entire premise of notion 1 - as outlined by Britannica - is laughable. The CRT notion that “race” is a “culturally invented” or “socially constructed” category is silly. After all, it would suggest that there are no physical differences or otherwise distinctive traits between say a Kalahari pygmy and a Scandinavian? How about an arctic Eskimo compared with an Australian aboriginal for that matter, still no differences? With this kind of logic there is no differences between various races of cats and dogs either, it’s all just supposed “social construct" distinctions, right? On top of all this, the whole thing is also supposedly done to ensure a secret oppression of all people who fail to qualify as “white” (somehow)… Give me a break. The overall proposition is utterly ridiculous, anti-factual and absurd. People are different just like cats and dogs. It’s a matter of fact. Period.

As for notion 2 – the claim that the US-legal system is secretly rigged against blacks (or otherwise) in order to ensure some supposed “white supremacy” in the US - is also absurd. For crying out loud the USA have had a black president (twice!) already, it currently has a black female VP, it have had or has black generals, governors, high profile state-officials, mayors, judges, scientists, musicians, Hollywood stars, celebrities and the works. What more could blacks (or otherwise) possibly hope for?!? There are practically no walks of life that have not had some black or other (non-white) representation in the USA in recent times. As one can imagine, virtually none of that would be reality had the CRT-legal white-supremacy-conspiracy actually been real. Either that or it would be the largest and worst - yet still secret - white supremacy-scheme in world history. A gigantic conspiracy that did not manage to reserve/safeguard even the US-presidency for the “evil sneaky white people” exclusively - yet it was supposedly designed to do just that (and more) in order to oppress all but white people, legally (in the USA)… If that is not blatant BS, then I don't know what is...

Now, which outlined alternative (regarding notion 2) strikes you people as the most plausible and reasonable here? The CRT-legal white supremacy-conspiracy-claim? Or the less extravagant explanation that the whole thing is a lie, as both reality and facts repeatedly fails to support such claims (as outlined above)? You decide folks, what makes the most sense here?!? If it still is the extravagant CRT-conspiracy-supremacy thing that wins the day somehow - then I can’t help you....

2) There's recent video of a white woman armed with a knife in a supermarket. Police shot her... With a taser. How many more folks need to be gunned down before something in your brain starts connecting the dots?
    FYI, the policeman who eventually shot and killed Patrick Lyoya tried to FIRST taser him - twice (IIRC) and failed - a few moments later, Patrick was grabbing and holding that same tasergun - he was then shoot dead with a regular gun. This AFTER failing to comply (yet again) with the policeman’s instructions. Feel free to confirm/verify all that in the released videos of the event folks...

- A

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    That is a possibility… I'll refer to the Encyclopaedia Britannica definition so we can eliminate that possibility, alright?

FYI, the policeman who eventually shot and killed Patrick Lyoya tried to FIRST taser him - twice (IIRC) and failed - a few moments later, Patrick was grabbing and holding that same tasergun - he was then shoot dead with a regular gun. This AFTER failing to comply (yet again) with the policeman’s instructions. Feel free to confirm/verify all that in the released videos of the event folks...

- A
    You should have kept on reading that link. I did.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The social construction of race and the normality of racism

First, race is socially constructed, not biologically natural. The biogenetic notion of race—the idea that the human species is divided into distinct groups on the basis of inherited physical and behavioral differences—was finally refuted by genetic studies in the late 20th century. Social scientists, historians, and other scholars now agree that the notion of race is a social construction (though there is no consensus regarding what exactly a social construction is or what the process of social construction consists of). Some CRT theorists hold that race is an artificial association or correlation between a set of physical characteristics—including skin colour, certain facial features, and hair texture—and an imagined set of psychological and behavioral tendencies, conceived as either positive or negative, good or bad. The associations have been created and maintained by dominant groups (in the United States, whites of western European descent) to justify their oppression and exploitation of other groups on the basis of the latter’s supposed inferiority, immorality, or incapacity for self-rule.
    Second, racism in the United States is normal, not aberrational: it is the ordinary experience of most people of colour. Although extreme racist attitudes and beliefs are less common among whites than they were before the mid-20th century, and explicitly racist laws and legal practices—epitomized by the Jim Crow laws that enforced racial segregation and denied basic civil rights to African Americans in the South—have been largely eliminated, most people of colour continue to be routinely discriminated against or otherwise unfairly treated in both public and private spheres, as demonstrated by numerous social indicators. African Americans and Hispanic Americans (Latinxs), for example, are on average more likely than similarly qualified white persons to be denied loans or jobs; they tend to pay more than whites for a broad range of products and services (e.g., automobiles); they are more likely than whites to be unjustly suspected of criminal behaviour by police or private (white) citizens; and they are more likely than whites to be victims of police brutality, including the unjustified use of lethal force. If convicted of a crime, people of colour, particularly African Americans, are generally imprisoned more often and for longer periods than whites who are found guilty of the same offenses. Many Blacks and Hispanics continue to live in racially segregated and impoverished neighbourhoods, in part because of zoning restrictions in many predominantly white neighbourhoods that effectively exclude lower-income residents. Predominantly Black or Hispanic neighbourhoods also tend to receive fewer or inferior public services, notably including public education. The lack of quality education in turn limits job opportunities, which makes it even more difficult to leave impoverished neighbourhoods. On average, Blacks and Hispanics also receive less or inferior medical care than whites and consequently lead shorter lives.
    Many instances of racist behaviour directed at people of colour take the form of “microaggressions,” which are verbal or behavioral slights, generally subtle and often unintentional or unconscious, that communicate a stereotype or negative attitude toward a person of colour and thus indicate an implicit bias based on race. (Microaggressions may also be directed at members of other oppressed or marginalized groups, such as women and LGBTQ persons.) For example, in a real-life case discussed in the CRT literature, a white professor at an elite university, in conversation with colleagues in a campus building, saw a Black student walking down the hall and immediately exclaimed, loudly enough for the student to hear, that she should have locked the door to her office because she left her purse there. The common occurrence of racial microaggressions is indicative of the pervasiveness of racist attitudes even among people who consciously reject racism, and their cumulative effect on people of colour can be psychologically devastating.

And this is a description of what happened to Patrick Loyola...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Praeses

I think the concept of race is variously defined and in many versions its used to oppress groups of people. It seems to blur into describing cultural and linguistic (and bizarrely even religious) communities. I think the word comes from a Latin term meaning root or family, not sure, but in English it tends to mean a group of common descent, a bit like the term breed applied to animals.

Inherited characteristics are real, and before mass transportation characteristics tended to be geographically bounded by the range of the gamete holders. Groups tended to identify their communities as one of common descent (we see this in many cultures, from the Hellenes (although they seem to have been aware Hellen was not their common ancestor) the Bible, a bunch of communities get an eponymous ancestor. I guess family structure is basic in most premodern communities so people were happy to lie about being related. The DNA tells a different story.

On just a moments reflection the concept of race is pretty shonky. It seems obvious and commons sense because its built into a lot of our cultural constructs. In reality we have masses of lineages jammed together regardless of DNA. The British are no more a race than the English or Scots are. IIRC people in Alsace have more DNA in common with German Rhinelanders than Provencal French or Breton French. Yet the French race is distinguished by the concept of race from the Germans and Italians and Greeks, in that you are guilty of racism if you negatively discriminate against person from those communities.

Race is a crude and barely useful or even justifiable concept, beyond a vague "human race"" level, unless you're looking to enslave people. Like the demonic theory of disease and the notion that vulvas travel around a woman's body during mental health episodes, it was the best our ignorant ancestors could do, but we can do better now.

Not sure about CRT, in some versions it seems to simply invert the idiocy of race categories. "Its not racism if its against white people" and "are Asians POC?" are pretty silly concepts too.

The US was definitely founded on states with deeply racist systems. Its likely built in racism remains despite legislative changes, in attitudes and traditions.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat