Thread: Would anyone here watch a playthrough of Rome trying to play as closely to its historical chronological conquests/armies?

Default Would anyone here watch a playthrough of Rome trying to play as closely to its historical chronological conquests/armies?

Yay or nay?

I am also thinking about the tone set for the play-through;

I really dislike how most playthroughs at the moment exist of 1~2 hour long video without any cuts and edits, using cheese armies (full stack rorarii) with the sole purpose of playing is to win as efficiently as possible, while I think it's much more enjoyable to use roleplay to justify certain army compositions. I'm not saying it's not fun to roflstomp the game with cheese, but I would like to bring a challenge in the play-through by playing more "accurately" and forcing myself to capture certain settlements, declaring war and making peace etc.
    Using hastati/principes/triarii and having them reshuffle during battle, deploying Latin cavalry on the right flank and Alae cavalry on the left etc etc.
    Last edited by MoraleBooster; October 06, 2020 at 11:07 AM.

Default Re: Would anyone here watch a playthrough of Rome trying to play as closely to its historical chronological conquests/armies?

Yay

Default Re: Would anyone here watch a playthrough of Rome trying to play as closely to its historical chronological conquests/armies?

I always start with the conviction I will follow through and play historically.
    I always fail because it is too tempting to get this little cute province just sitting here undefended come on look at it I want it it's mine it should be mine anyway in 50 years come to daddy.

So yeah I will watch this.
    I'm curious about how to manage the legions. Do you disband them when you know there's no conflict for the next few years?

Quote Originally Posted by MoraleBooster View Post
    Yay or nay?
    I absolutely would.

Centenarius

Add me to the list, Yay.

Here's a handy online tool to track your progress. I use this often:

http://geacron.com/home-en/?z=6&x=10...=GeaCron698137

That's nice ^^ @diday I think I will do that if a legion is very far away from another frontier, not sure yet.

I dont think I can be 100% accurate with conquering territory according to the correct time however, as expanding according to the correct territory will be hard enough as it is

airborne guy's Avatar Domesticus

So what is it going to be? When?

Yes but that depends on the quality of the historical understanding of Rome's mid-late Republican era which then moves into the post Marian era which is better documented. The stuff I've tried to find is patchy at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    Add me to the list, Yay.

Here's a handy online tool to track your progress. I use this often:

http://geacron.com/home-en/?z=6&x=10...=GeaCron698137
    Holy crap that's an amazing tool! Did not know this existed! Trackable geographical evolution of empires over time is something i've always wanted!

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

surely yes
    feel free to join the dei discord channel if you wanna "advertise" the videos and reach more public
    https://discord.gg/Wez6GSY

@Jake Armitage
    Thanks! Will definitely join, although I havent figured out how to change my nickname yet on the server...

@Airborne guy I'm still setting up some stuff in the background like how I want the videos to be, what boring parts to skip etc. I dont just want to record ALL of the playthrough and make it a 5 hour long video which is not fun to watch.

I am also thinking about the tone set for the play-through;

I really dislike how most playthroughs at the moment exist of 1~2 hour long video without any cuts and edits, using cheese armies (full stack rorarii) with the sole purpose of playing is to win as efficiently as possible, while I think it's much more enjoyable to use roleplay to justify certain army compositions. I'm not saying it's not fun to roflstomp the game with cheese, but I would like to bring a challenge in the play-through by playing more "accurately" and forcing myself to capture certain settlements, declaring war and making peace etc.
    Using hastati/principes/triarii and having them reshuffle during battle, deploying Latin cavalry on the right flank and Alae cavalry on the left etc etc.
    Last edited by MoraleBooster; October 06, 2020 at 11:06 AM.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I believe I would enjoy that. I do take my historically accurate role play seriously. Perhaps a little too seriously sometimes, I need a PhD to think my next move

I use mainly this in my Rome1&2 campaigns, shame it ain't up anymore; https://web.archive.org/web/20171122...rep-index.html