Thread: Unable to play past FO 377

Default Unable to play past FO 377

Hello.

I get crash whenever I hit next turn in year 377. I tried loading an earlier save, it proceeds normally until 377 and than crash. It crashes as soon as I hit the button, not on AI turn. Played on most recent patch.

Did anyone have similar problem?

I tried to upload save file but I get error (invalid file type).

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Unable to play past FO 377

If you zip the save file you can upload it to twc. I can't recall ever having a crash on a specific year and I've played some long campaigns, so it might be related to something else.

RK-3.zip

Save file should be here now.

I thought it my have something to do with my computer generally acting funky (it got pretty slowed down while Windows was updating) but the issue persists even after the update. And it's weird it only happens on that turn.

EDIT: There were frequent crashes before that (due to missing fleets or I guess lack of memory?), but the game always continued normally after a restart. This is the first time I can't continue in any way.
    Last edited by Stark1; September 26, 2020 at 01:17 AM.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Stark1 View Post
    RK-3.zip
    Save file should be here now.
    I thought it my have something to do with my computer generally acting funky (it got pretty slowed down while Windows was updating) but the issue persists even after the update. And it's weird it only happens on that turn.
    EDIT: There were frequent crashes before that (due to missing fleets or I guess lack of memory?), but the game always continued normally after a restart. This is the first time I can't continue in any way.
    Your problem appears to be the siege at the Tower of Cirith Duath...sally out > autoresolve battle for a "slim victory" and you should be fine to continue. Your frequent ctd's are another matter, one of the very good things I have found with this mod(and there are many) is it's stability, I have very rarely had a ctd, have you tried applying a 4gb file?. I also noticed you play with "restricted camera" mode on, is that a personal choice? anyway I hope this solves your issue, good luck.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Autoresolve.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	342.9 KB 
ID:	362672
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Sadly it's getting harder and harder to get RTW (and M2 for that matter) to run smoothly on the latest versions of Windows 10. I am quite worried that sooner or later a patch is just going to break it completely.

In the meantime here's a couple of sources of information for what you can do to try and get it running better - no guarantees on any of it of course and different things seem to work for different people, but there should be something there that helps you get it more stable.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-windows10-FIX

https://steamcommunity.com/app/4760/...8291502250484/

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the effort.

I managed to get past the year, by loading the oldest save I got (using which I could go on if I just ended every turn) and by lots of trying to see what was causing the crash. Siege of Cirith Duath was problem before (the game crashed if I tried assaulting it), but it seems that the problem now was either ceasefire with Harad or taking some Adunabar towns in the north. The game progressed when I didn't take those towns and didn't make peace with Harad. I don't know why but obviously something regarding that caused AI actions that crashed the game a few turns after that.

I also tried sallying out of Cirith Duath but still got the crash. Regarding 4bg, I think I did apply it when installing, though it was a long time ago. And regarding camera, I don't know, I played like that since I first got RTW, never really tried anything else.

And again, thanks for the help and advice

P.S. I don't blame the game for usual crashes, my frequent use of move_character cheat is probably cause of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stark1 View Post
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the effort.
    I also tried sallying out of Cirith Duath but still got the crash. Regarding 4bg, I think I did apply it when installing, though it was a long time ago. And regarding camera, I don't know, I played like that since I first got RTW, never really tried anything else.
    No worries always happy to help where I can on any RTW mod issues. Just fyi, I later actually twice "played out" the sally from Cirith Duath and won the battle each time with no ctd on the end turn afterwards.

Go into options/camera settings and check the box for real time strategy camera to stop restricted camera. Thanks for the rep

click on pic to enlarge >> Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camera.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	362673
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; September 26, 2020 at 09:23 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    Just fyi, I later actually twice "played out" the sally from Cirith Duath and won the battle each time with no ctd on the end turn afterwards.
    God damnit, it really does work that way. And I wasted so much time trying out whats wrong. Weird, I know I tried fighting that at some point, but crash still came. I guess it was when I started from an earlier save so they sieged me again? Who knows.

In any case, thanks a lot to both of you.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Happy to help Stark1 Just confirming that sallying out from the fort worked for me too, game continued on to the next turn without issue after that.

Thanks Webba (for helping and for creating a wonderful mod)

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Strangely, I also am having an end turn CTD on year 377, playing as the RK. If I uploaded my save file, can someone help me with what to look for? Lesson learned here (once again), is to save often...
    Attached Files Attached Files

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Sure, I'll have a look at it for you.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Check descr_events for an event on that turn and then check the corresponding text entries in text\historic_events if they exist.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmh1 View Post
    Strangely, I also am having an end turn CTD on year 377, playing as the RK. If I uploaded my save file, can someone help me with what to look for? Lesson learned here (once again), is to save often...
    Enter Threeways and restore both building and also retrain the most depleted units(see pic)..alternatively attack Harad army near Annufalas Keep, auto-resolve battle for a win and either way you should be good to go.
    I also noticed that like the other guy you too play with "restricted camera" mode on, is that a personal choice?

Last edited by Saul Tyre; October 08, 2020 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Typo

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Check descr_events for an event on that turn and then check the corresponding text entries in text\historic_events if they exist.
    0 events in our descr_events file (well, technically there are some but they are all commented out and none are on that turn in any case)

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

One less spot to check. Missing text in text\historic_events is a common issue in M2TW, but there the events are usually in the campaign_script due to multiple turns per year (descr_events entries always fire in the first turn of the year).

Thanks, everyone! WRT to the camera, it's honestly a setting I've never touched.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmh1 View Post
    Thanks, everyone! WRT to the camera, it's honestly a setting I've never touched.
    You're more than welcome laddie....To change this go into options/camera settings and check the box for real time strategy camera ...Freeeeeedom!!! also if you don't know, you can go into control settings next and toggle at the bottom to FPS style set-up, you have 4 different menus to toggle through at the top where you can set hotkeys for various actions to suit your needs, especially on the battlefield, it's well worth experimenting with.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; October 09, 2020 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Typo