Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Play IB Ruina Romae - Western Roman Empire Campaign

Default Let's Play IB Ruina Romae - Western Roman Empire Campaign

I wanted to make a let's play that showcased this fantastic mod, so I decided to start playing as the Western Roman Empire. Please don't be so harsh on my tactics - I've never actually ever played as the Western Roman Empire in any Total War game before, since I prefer building up a small kingdom (it's the Civ player in me). In any case, I'll be playing through the WRE campaign and I'll try to showcase everything great about Ruina Romae here.

In the first episode, I come to grips with the disastrous situation... I pull back from the forts on the border in order to prevent rebellions and at the same time the Visigoths besiege Rome... But first, we have to beat back the Alemanni attack near Mediolanum! In this first episode, I had not enabled unlimited men on the battlefield in preferences, so that's why I didn't get my reinforcements in time. Fixed for the next episode.

Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Default Re: Let's Play IB Ruina Romae - Western Roman Empire Campaign

It's a great feeling, watching someone play the mod I've spent so much time working on. So thanks a lot for these videos!

Thank you for the mod, Joar! My first video has gotten quite a few views, over a thousand now. My most successful let's play video so far (moreso than my lp of Europa Barbarorum 2). Here is episode 2.

In this alternate reality, Emperor Honorius realizes he has to do something to save Rome and charges into the heat of battle. Will he survive? Meanwhile, the Roman army in North Africa tries to defeat the Berber threat so that they can safely go and save Iberia and Italia from being overrun by barbarians.

Last edited by Drtad; September 28, 2020 at 02:40 PM.

Good campaign! A nice set of mods (IBRR). Glad we have the best mods that embrace all Roman times (or almost). The FRRE mods that are about the end of the Republic and this about the late Empire, only one missing that embraces the beginning of the Empire.
    Fall of the Republic & Rise of the Empire: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...FRRE-mod-links

Quote Originally Posted by l5c4sl3m0s View Post
    Good campaign! A nice set of mods (IBRR). Glad we have the best mods that embrace all Roman times (or almost). The FRRE mods that are about the end of the Republic and this about the late Empire, only one missing that embraces the beginning of the Empire.
    Thanks! Yes the FRRE mods are some of my favorites from back in the day. There is a submod for Roma Surrectum called Five Good Emperors that you might be interested in.

In this episode, Emperor Honorius gets catapulted from his horse, Priscus flees from Germanic heavy cavalry, and Alaric enters Rome... but can he hold the city?

Moving my troops into Italia was a bit premature as I underestimated the power of the Visigoth armies (after defeating the Alemanni fairly easily). I also probably shouldn't have besieged the Gallo-Roman capital in southern Gaul - now my full army there is trapped by two Alan armies (that I doubt I can defeat). This episode truly encapsulates what Ruina Romae is about - such a great job at capturing the feel of the period! In other news, the Roman armies in North Africa are almost ready to relieve our troops in Hispania and Italia, so hopefully the empire can be consolidated soon.

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Interesting gameplay. You do have quite different tactics and strategies than me.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Thank you, Gaiten! I suppose I do - I've always been a more conservative player and I'm just applying those same strategies to the WRE campaign, which again I have never tried before... it's been fun and I haven't lost any cities!

In this episode, Emperor Constantius continues the siege of the Gallo-Roman capital Arleate, the pursuit of Alaric begins, and the consolidation of the WRE armies seems nigh...

In this episode, Emperor Constantius fights the usurper Constantinus in Arleate, the Visigoths push north, the Alemanni and Berbers return, and we have our first engagement with the legendary Vandals...

In this episode, Emperor Constantius continues to fight the Gallo-Romans, the Berbers strike back in North Africa, and the Visigoths and Alans leave Italia...

I was very concerned about my ability to fight the Alan armies due to their superior cavalry and abundance of horse archers, but luckily they seem to want to return to their kingdom in the Caucasus...

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    [FONT=Roboto]I was very concerned about my ability to fight the Alan armies due to their superior cavalry and abundance of horse archers, but luckily they seem to want to return to their kingdom in the Caucasus...
    Unfortunately.
    I would like to have them more running rampagne in Gaul and Spain.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    Unfortunately.
    I would like to have them more running rampagne in Gaul and Spain.
    I would have been very happy if they attacked the Gallo-Romans, but perhaps upon viewing the chaotic situation they said "nope, we're getting out of here!"

I should have clarified - the retreat of the Alans is good for me as the player, but bad for historical accuracy. xD

Unfortunately with the state of RTW AI... perhaps the best solution would be to either have the migrating Alans as their own faction, leaving the Caucasian Alans as rebel armies, or the other way around. Perhaps then they'll be compelled to remain in Gaul and Spain to cause havoc.
    Last edited by Drtad; October 13, 2020 at 07:57 AM.

Hmm, I like to have the Alans threatening the Easterners from beyond the Caucasus.
    Nevertheless, if you Play the Alans their separated Forces gives you a unique gaming experience.

Yeah I agree, as a player it makes playing the Alans a very cool experience.

In this episode, we have more problems with public order in Hispania and Sicily, but the Visigoth and Alan departures from Italia free up our military to actually counterattack and restore the Western Roman Empire to its former glory... The Suebi, Vandals, and remaining Gallo-Romans await!

In this episode of the Invasio Barbarorum Ruina Romae WRE campaign, the offensives in Hispania and Gaul continue to be successful despite a few tactical defeats. The Burgundian army arrives out of nowhere in Northern Italy, the Alemanni continue their standoff on the northern fringes of the empire, and about one hundred Hunnic armies arrive in Illyria... What are we going to do?

Last edited by Drtad; October 16, 2020 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    What are we going to do?[/SIZE]
    Panicking and running around while crying loudly?

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    Panicking and running around while crying loudly?
    That's a solid option. But for gameplay purposes I think I'll try to complete the Iberian, Gaulish, and North African campaigns and then maybe try to get the Huns to split up and defeat them slowly but surely...

In this episode of the IB Ruina Romae let's play as the Western Roman Empire, we take a look at the entire map with the fog of war turned off (at the end of the ep). Emperor Constantius reconnects the Iberian provinces with the rest of the empire and prepares his fresh army to attack and defeat the Vandals and the Suebi. At the same time, the Huns have a case of indecision, the Ostrogoths and Longobard sieges continue, and the Berbers launch surprise attacks at Hippo Regius and Tingis...

Você usa táticas diferentes da minha, geralmente quando é para defender uma posição ou não perder a formação, habilito o modo denfenser para ganhar bônus de defesa, para que fiquem organizados, mantenho unidades de reserva para serem utilizadas em momentos críticos nas batalhas.
    Fall of the Republic & Rise of the Empire: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...FRRE-mod-links

Yeah my tactics are definitely a little different. I'm not that big on the battles, being more of a campaign guy myself, but I try my best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast