Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barbarians | Official Teaser | Netflix

Default Re: Barbarians | Official Teaser | Netflix

I've only watched one episode so far. Not sure I like the plot (seems like it's paying homage to Rome and The Last Kingdom), but there were a few things that are nice to see, which are pretty much absent in other shows:

- the Romans looking (and sounding) like Romans
    - the natives looking somewhat believable and actually using historically accurate weaponry, even if the modern German they speak is a bit hit and miss
    - no glaringly obvious mistakes with the environment (e.g. no Rocky Mountains in the background)

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

On those points the show cannot be criticized, yes. They actually do get those things right. The Metatron breaks down the things he likes and dislikes per historical accuracy:

EDIT: so, against my better judgment, I did continue watching more of the show, and while elements of it are enjoyable, like Varus telling the young child Arminius in a flashback about the she-wolf of Romulus and Remus and dismissing Germanic pagan beliefs in an apocalyptic wolf devouring the world ("only the Roman army can do that"), the writing is just rather dim. The scene that's the most egregious I would say is the one where they SPOILER somehow miraculously steal a Roman eagle standard from the Roman camp. They do so with like three people. LOL. Just, no.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    But I'm looking for entertainment here. As long as acting is good and they don't deliberately shove some modern culture nonsense and vandalize history completely, i'd watch it.
    How was it on that front?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

In my opinion the show was okey. The weakpoint really were the storywriters that much is clear although i can't understand the critique for example that 4 people steal a legionary eagle. That a critique i read elsewhere. As if the blue coloured spaniards did not do the same in the first episode of HBO's Rome. My biggest critqiue though is the depiction of the battle and it's lenght. There is only a minimal ambush and than a short field battle. I expected 3 days of canarge where the romans first didn't notice what was really going on, with two camps including discussions what to do. This desperatly needed 1 or 2 episodes more instead of the useless love triangle.

The best scene was when Segestes accuses Arminius. Previously i wondered how they would make it convincing that Varus didn't notice the treason but it was one of the rare occasion of suche plots where i was really fully convinced. After all it sounded really ridiclious when considering everything Segestes said which makes Varus further not the fool many make him often enough. All things considered he did nothing really wrong. Great actor the guy who plays Varus.

By the way: Netflix ordered a Season 2. No idea so far if it continues the story with the Germanicus Campaign or if it turns in to an Anthology Series where we will see other Barbarians like Boudica etc.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I caught an episode of this.

As a historical series it is better than most of the stuff out there, while still making mistakes. But the actual show is kinda average.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Pretty good.
    Yes. I binged it together with my GF. We both liked it.
    Next season should be more exciting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12