Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barbarians | Official Teaser | Netflix

Default Barbarians | Official Teaser | Netflix

A german Netflix series set to release on October 23, here the short premise:

During the battle of the Teutoburg forest in 9 AD the fates of three lives are connected to each other when the Germanic tribes attempted to halt the spread of the Roman Empire.

The Cheruscan princess Thusnelda (Jeanne Goursaud) and the simple warrior Folkwin (David Schütter) are secretly a couple. But soon the two are challenged in a completely different way: The Roman occupiers under governor Varus (Gaetano Aronica) extort crushing tributes from the Germanic tribes, who are too hostile to defend themselves together. Thusnelda and Folkwin decide to act on their own and humiliate the empire in a daring night-and-mist action.
    To avenge the shame, the Roman governor sends out his foster son. But the young Roman officer (Laurence Rupp) has a secret that connects him closely with Thusnelda and Folkwin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mBn...ture=emb_title
    Last edited by u811515; September 23, 2020 at 11:40 AM.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Barbarians | Official Teaser | Netflix

Hard to tell from a one minute trailer if it'll be epic or, not epic. Which worries me a little.

Romans are not speaking in English? What?! Historical inaccuracy right there!

But yeah can't say and guess have to wait till October 23. Definitely interesting to watch but would trade anything to watch HBO Rome season 3.

new trailer:

Not very impressed, tbh. Seems like the run of the mill ‘historical’ drama that throws authenticity out the window for big fun fights and sensationalised ‘goodies vs baddies’. Germans calling themselves ‘barbarians’ was also a little jarring, which doesn’t give me hope for the dialogue. But I will wait and see.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post
    Not very impressed, tbh. Seems like the run of the mill ‘historical’ drama that throws authenticity out the window for big fun fights and sensationalised ‘goodies vs baddies’.
    same here

there are doing quite a lot of AD here in Italy, but honestly I'm not rushing for it, seems excessively "constructed" (immediately reminded me of the Spartacus series.. )
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Yeah they referring themselves as Barbarians was a lol moment. But I'm looking for entertainment here. As long as acting is good and they don't deliberately shove some modern culture nonsense and vandalize history completely, i'd watch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    (immediately reminded me of the Spartacus series.. )
    Sir Halie and me will paint TWC red if anyone badmouths Spartacus show. It was bloody awesome. LOL history wise not much but, dayum, show was super entertaining as . Batiatus lol "Once again the gods spread the cheek to....

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Magistrate

That show is worth watching for the prose and one-liners alone. Take a small vacation from the front against incorrect or disappointing depictions in today's' period pieces(etc). Enjoy Spartacus. I'll hold your gun and save your spot in the trench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Yeah they referring themselves as Barbarians was a lol moment. But I'm looking for entertainment here. As long as acting is good and they don't deliberately shove some modern culture nonsense and vandalize history completely, i'd watch it.

Sir Halie and me will paint TWC red if anyone badmouths Spartacus show. It was bloody awesome. LOL history wise not much but, dayum, show was super entertaining as . Batiatus lol "Once again the gods spread the cheek to....
    The problem with that is:

A: You don't need a historical back droop to make an entertaining show, so you don't need to on history to tell an entertaining story(which is most often mediocre let's be real)

B: You can make a show that respects history and still have entertainment. It just means a bit more hard work and being respectful, often these media sacrifice parts of history even when there is nothing to gain from the entertainment side.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    The problem with that is:

A: You don't need a historical back droop to make an entertaining show, so you don't need to on history to tell an entertaining story(which is most often mediocre let's be real)

B: You can make a show that respects history and still have entertainment. It just means a bit more hard work and being respectful, often these media sacrifice parts of history even when there is nothing to gain from the entertainment side.
    Pretty much this.. if I want to watch something which is fictionally and only relatively inspired to history, I watch Hercules, not Spartacus.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

I'm hopeful but not optimistic. The Latin used in the trailers seems OK (seems like they're using Classical Latin and not the church monstrosity, from what I could hear in the few exchanges. Didn't really analyze it any further than that, though). But the German - standing in for whatever Germanic language was spoken in the region - used so far is contemporary German and sounds a bit jarring. For instance, they seem to be - consciously? - avoiding the terms "Volk" (people) and "Stamm" (tribe), instead settling on "meine Leute" ("my folks"), which seems a bit out of place.
    I couldn't point out grave errors with the equipment yet, and the forest seems OK-ish (no spruce monoculture or sequoias, and couldn't hear any stock sound effects).
    However the woman featuring prominently in the trailers (someone dubbed her "Lagertha 2.0") makes me think of obligatory fanservice, unless she's supposed to be a priestess or something like that.
    So yeah, a mixed bag. We'll see. The Last Kingdom and Marco Polo were ambitious and had some great elements, but they also fell victim to most of the usual tropes.

The Last Kingdom has a different tone, imo, and does not take itself as seriously as the one seemingly conveyed in this. I still think the best authentic picture of Rome has been HBO’s show. While not always accurate, it at least felt like it was plausible and it was very careful to convey it as such. A great shame that it was cancelled. Recent ancient history period pieces are flashy and not so good at making the characters seem like real people, and are really less entertaining as a result. A similar comparison to me is the last few seasons of Game of Thrones, but I won’t get into that for my own sanity’s sake

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

I thought Arminius was a blonde blue eyed dude.

Blog Entries

Widley exaggerated and deliberately sparing on facts. Great show....

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Instead of another boring latin roman series, there should be a Byzantine Empire series
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Instead of another boring latin roman series, there should be a Byzantine Empire series
    This, but Sassanid ;D.

Blog Entries

Pretty good.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I heard from people on Twitter that it was bad, but it wasn't just regular Twitter woke people saying this, but actual professors in the classics, so I'll definitely take that advice over many others. I guess I'll give the first episode a chance. If it looks cheesy I am immediately going to abandon ship, though.

Even shows like Last Kingdom are cheesy, but are actually very well written. The first season of Marco Polo was great but the second season made very little sense at all and strayed way too far from actual history to be deemed a historical drama, more like historical fantasy. I concur with others here, there's nothing quite like HBO's Rome.

EDIT: yeah, about that. LOL. I couldn't even make it through the first episode. That scene where the Roman centurion officer guy demands that the local Cherusci tribal leader also kneel and kiss the Roman eagle standard after giving up all the village farm animals was a deal breaker for me. Just dumb. This is definitely one of those hyperbolic shows where there has to be a group of bad guys and good guys, and in order for the Romans to be the bad guys they must basically be transformed into the Gestapo.

Yeah I found it to be pretty cheesy and not in a good way like TLK. Predictable and shallow with some shoddy dialogue to boot. After the first two episodes I really lost interest.

Blog Entries

I just had about 20 minutes of it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast