Thread: Do sword cavalry enjoy a melee bonus against spear cavalry?

Default Do sword cavalry enjoy a melee bonus against spear cavalry?

For example, Alan Riders (sword sidearm) vs Dahae Riders (spear sidearm). There's no spear/light-spear mechanic for cavalry the way that infantry has, but is there some hidden bonus in play?

Default Re: Do sword cavalry enjoy a melee bonus against spear cavalry?

While it seems to me that spear infantry have better bonuses against cavalry when braced compared to sword infantry, I haven't noticed a difference in the performance between sword and spear cavalry. Except for that one time where a unit of my veteran Epatoi Londoi lost to unit of Hippakontistai...I'm never letting them live that down.

I suspect the bounding spheres of the models comes into play here (because WYSIWYG applies to animations). Namely that once the models are pressed close together, shorter swords are handier than longer spears at getting the hits in.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I suspect the bounding spheres of the models comes into play here (because WYSIWYG applies to animations). Namely that once the models are pressed close together, shorter swords are handier than longer spears at getting the hits in.
    Interesting. I'll simulate several Mercenary Celtic Cavalry (with 2 attack upgrades) vs British Noble Cavalry battles and pay close attention to the animations and let you know of the results.