Thread: Missing unit sprites/unit invisible from a distance

JarlFrank's Avatar Libertus

Default Missing unit sprites/unit invisible from a distance

I'm using a few unit mods I downloaded from the Steam Workshop, and in two unit mod compilations I noticed that some of the units are missing sprites. If I zoom out they become invisible. That's very irritating when playing big battles because it gives the impression there's no-one there when it's actually a blob of 160 warriors...

I'd like to fix the issue myself because the mod creators aren't active anymore. Any way to do that?

The units in question are Female Hoplites from this pack:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1482085648
    And Scarred Face Sisters from this pack:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1506894943

I can also live with cutting out the specific units that cause issue, if that's easier.

Veit ek, at ek hekk

vindgameiði á
    nætr allar níu,
    geiri undaðr
    ok gefinn Óðni,
    sjalfur sjalfum mér,
    á þeim meiði
    er manngi veit
    hvers af rótum renn.

Default Re: Missing unit sprites/unit invisible from a distance

I am curious about this issue too. I believe it's not the units themselves that are vanishing but specific textures. In my case I noticed a specific skin was disappearing in the distance but the armour/tunic was visible.

My first guess would be that the texture .dds file needs to be exported again generating all the mipmaps correctly?

Most female rigid models were made for cinematics and thus lack "imposter models", which are exactly the sprites you kind of see from the distance.
    To prevent those units from disappearing you have to add an imposter model to the units' variant mesh definition using: imposter_model="path of the imposter model" />

An example of this in vanilla files can be found in the tribeless spearmen variantmeshdefinition file, under "trousers":
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_02.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2" />

JarlFrank's Avatar Libertus

Thank you Heinz, I will try that!

Veit ek, at ek hekk

vindgameiði á
    nætr allar níu,
    geiri undaðr
    ok gefinn Óðni,
    sjalfur sjalfum mér,
    á þeim meiði
    er manngi veit
    hvers af rótum renn.