Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durango's Historical Portraits Mod

Default Durango's Historical Portraits Mod

Introduction

Ever since ETW came out, players have wished for replacements for the CGI style portraits that carried over from Medieval II (this time with wigs). Over the years, several extensive, as well as partial mod packs have been released here and there in order to remedy this situation. The most well known is the one originally made by Onkel Tuca, and used for Darthmod Empire. However, subsequent attempts to complete the full culture specific portraits categories for the game have been spread out - meaning that they can be difficult to find in one cohesive package. At least I thought so.

Ever since I first started playing Napoleon: Total War (having played ETW the year before), I have wished for a similar mod that blends in with the period aesthetics like the portraits do in that game. One unified and consistent style that covers everything in the game, with nothing left of the previous files. Finally, after a long time in the making, I finished my own portraits, and can now share them with the community.

Features

- Remastered historical artwork. Every single portrait in the mod has been reworked using image software, giving them a unified style and the highest level of quality possible. Everything from detail, colors, shapes, lighting, saturation etc. Some types of portraits were a lot more challenging than others!

- 100% coverage. Every culture in the game have new portraits, with greater variety for European factions due to how the vanilla game is designed. Ancillaries, advisors, and George Washington/John Smith are also included along with a new portrait frame.

- Historical characters. Most European factions in the game have authentic portraits for their starting ruler, and most also get at least one historical general accurately depicted.

- Character professions and roles. Generals, kings, priests (of different faiths) and ministers can be told apart from each other by their clothing.

- Vanilla compatible. Since the mod follows the original ETW file structure, it is a simple drag-and-drop install that can be used with a number of mods (see end of page for suggestions).

Compatibility

The file should work with most mods that don't make any changes to the portraits system in the game. It's designed for vanilla and light gameplay mods, but using it in big overhauls might have unintended effects or not work at all. I have tested them mainly on my own vanilla install as well as my main modded ETW install, using Windows 7 and 10. If you aren't sure that the file is compatible with the mod you are using, testing is simple - the game will crash on the startup screen if not compatible. Just delete the file and you're back to normal.

Permissions

- All usage in other mods requires express permission. Permission is likely to be granted only to mod collections - where the majority of files/changes are made by different authors and stated as so. For other mods, like overhauls made by individuals and teams, permission will not likely be given.

- In case of failed contact. If you want to use this file only for a mod collection with files mainly from different authors (see above), then you may receive automatic permission for this purpose if a contact attempt via forum private message is sent, but not replied to within 6 months. You must in that case also a) only use the original files, and not add or subtract, nor change them it in any other way, and b) contact must also be made with relevant TWC forum administrators/modding staff for them to make sure that the conditions stated are all met. If they deem the conditions not met, permission is not granted.

- Download link goes down. If the download link in this post stop working, any user on the forum may re-upload the unchanged file in this thread, but nowhere else. TWC forum staff can host the file wherever they deem appropriate.

- Credit. If you have been given permission for usage of this mod in your work, or gotten automatic permission, you are required to give credit.

- Uploading elsewhere. It is expressly forbidden to upload public links to this mod on other sites.

Download link

CLICK HERE

Installation: Drop the downloaded file in the /data folder, inside your main ETW install directory.

Suggested additional mods

In the past few years, the modding scene for ETW has produced a number of interesting new developments, with updates of major overhauls and independent collections of mods taking the spotlight. There have also been several standalone graphics packs to enjoy. Therefore, in order to experience a complete version of ETW on modern systems, I recommend the following mods:

• Empire Realism - a full campaign and battle overhaul, should be entirely compatible with new portraits added.
    • Additional Units Mod - adds many new units to ETW.
    • Ultima Ratio - a visual package, meant to enhance several different areas like UI/effects.
    • Terrestria Orbis - upgraded graphics for battles and the campaign map.

Note. There is an "oversight" by CA regarding the portraits that are used for king Frederick of Denmark and king Charles XII of Sweden. The portraits use the same file. If anybody requests a fix to this, feel free to ask in the thread and I'll create instructions for it.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by -Durango-; September 22, 2020 at 02:49 PM.
    Try my ETW mods: Interface Enhancement Mod

Default Re: Durango's Historical Portraits Mod

A guide is up on my ModDB page that explains how to deal with CA's duplicate king portraits... but I suspect many here already know such things.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/durangos-...rtraits-in-etw

Fahnat's Avatar Biarchus
    Citizen

Blog Entries

This looks really good!
    Something that i have been looking up for many years.
    I really hope that it can work on overhaul mods like Imperial Destroyer.

The_Lord_Snow's Avatar Civis

These are fantastic, Durango. I really enjoyed the historical portraits used for their respective characters, like William III and Peter I. Such a massive improvement.

I'd be honored if I could incorporate your work in the Succession mod, with your permission, of course.
    Lead (and only) Developer of the Succession Mod for Total War EMPIRE

These portraits look great, excellent work! Really fixes one of my major problems with Empire - the doofy-looking character portraits. Other portrait mods are good but they are incomplete or don't quite look like the fit in with the rest of the game, but these are excellent. Thank you!
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Just the kind of spirit I must commend (in as far as game hobbies go), both in initiative and execution. Rep+

Similar thing got me onto the modding road for S2 and R2, although regarding a different aspect of the games, resulting in ACC and ACR.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Quote Originally Posted by Fahnat View Post
    This looks really good!
    Something that i have been looking up for many years.
    I really hope that it can work on overhaul mods like Imperial Destroyer.
    Thanks! Though I'm afraid that ID probably has its own portrait setup which is different from vanilla. I haven't played it, but I've seen screens of custom portraits for Cossacks etc. Can't hurt to try, however.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lord_Snow View Post
    These are fantastic, Durango. I really enjoyed the historical portraits used for their respective characters, like William III and Peter I. Such a massive improvement.

I'd be honored if I could incorporate your work in the Succession mod, with your permission, of course.
    Appreciate the kind words, and nice to hear that you enjoy the historical characters.

Succession looks very cool! What did you have in mind? I see that you like having new historical characters introduced, which could be a bit of a pickle -- for example, Isaac Newton shares his portrait file with "the Euro diplomat", a.k.a. Minister 001. I wanted to have the real Newton represented in the mod, but then the European character that addresses you on the diplomacy screen would look like him too.

Are you looking to use the mod as it is, or edit it for your work?

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    These portraits look great, excellent work! Really fixes one of my major problems with Empire - the doofy-looking character portraits. Other portrait mods are good but they are incomplete or don't quite look like the fit in with the rest of the game, but these are excellent. Thank you!
    I agree, and thanks for your interest. It's funny how the CGI generated portraits didn't bother me in Rome and MTW II, but in ETW they stand out compared to Napoleon's immersive counterparts. If you feel like the new portraits fit in with the original game, I take that as a success!

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    Just the kind of spirit I must commend (in as far as game hobbies go), both in initiative and execution. Rep+

Similar thing got me onto the modding road for S2 and R2, although regarding a different aspect of the games, resulting in ACC and ACR.
    Thank you!

Modding is sometimes more fun than playing the game, lol. I have to check out some of your mods too, after I've (finally) played a bit of ETW after such a long time away

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by -Durango- View Post
    [...]
    Thank you!
    You're welcome.

Modding is sometimes more fun than playing the game, lol.
    Haha, that is true. It sure does make you spend a lot more time with the game than what otherwise would have been the case. For example, with S2, I think I've spent at least 90% on it modding, and only the remainder playing. Something about the pleasure of seeing an improved version of the game coming to fruitition in your own hands.

I have to check out some of your mods too, after I've (finally) played a bit of ETW after such a long time away
    Could be a good idea. My mods "change the atmosphere of the game", as some people have said.

Good thing you must do something else first, though, because ATM I'm waiting for a general mods and permissions issue being settled here at TWC before my aforementioned main mods are made publicly available again. If the issue has not been settled before you're ready for S2 or R2, send me a PM and I'll provide a link for them to you.

Keep up the good work with your own modding!
    Last edited by Demokritos; September 29, 2020 at 04:57 AM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

I'm guessing this will be compatible with the "Age of Enlightenment" mod, which is a light foot modification.

Appreciate the kind words, and nice to hear that you enjoy the historical characters.

Succession looks very cool! What did you have in mind? I see that you like having new historical characters introduced, which could be a bit of a pickle -- for example, Isaac Newton shares his portrait file with "the Euro diplomat", a.k.a. Minister 001. I wanted to have the real Newton represented in the mod, but then the European character that addresses you on the diplomacy screen would look like him too.

Are you looking to use the mod as it is, or edit it for your work?
    Just the mod as is, if possible! I'm happy seeing the historical characters with your improved portraits, even if only a select few have their actual historical portraits. I'd even be interested in collaborating to implement historical characters' portraits in your style, though I'd understand if that sounds too time-consuming to undertake.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lord_Snow View Post
    Just the mod as is, if possible! I'm happy seeing the historical characters with your improved portraits, even if only a select few have their actual historical portraits. I'd even be interested in collaborating to implement historical characters' portraits in your style, though I'd understand if that sounds too time-consuming to undertake.
    Sure, in that case you can incorporate the mod as it is. But if you add your own material later on, I would need you to do so as a submod that is separate from the main install, like on its own page or thread. Does that work for you?

And to be honest, I'm entirely burnt out on doing portraits so you are going to have to, at least for now, make any new ones on your own

If you do, the large portraits are saved as .jpeg, 45-50 kbit. The smaller ones are .tga with 32 bit color, and with compression turned on (important!). I recommend Adobe Photoshop as your editor, but GIMP will probably do fine. Additionally, using an existing portrait as a half-transparent layer on top of your new one is a good way of getting a feel for size and proportion. However, if you're looking to implement entirely new characters in the game, I must direct you to Quintus Hortensius Hortalus who is pretty much an expert on that matter.

Cheers!

Sure, in that case you can incorporate the mod as it is. But if you add your own material later on, I would need you to do so as a submod that is separate from the main install, like on its own page or thread. Does that work for you?

And to be honest, I'm entirely burnt out on doing portraits so you are going to have to, at least for now, make any new ones on your own

If you do, the large portraits are saved as .jpeg, 45-50 kbit. The smaller ones are .tga with 32 bit color, and with compression turned on (important!). I recommend Adobe Photoshop as your editor, but GIMP will probably do fine. Additionally, using an existing portrait as a half-transparent layer on top of your new one is a good way of getting a feel for size and proportion. However, if you're looking to implement entirely new characters in the game, I must direct you to Quintus Hortensius Hortalus who is pretty much an expert on that matter.

Cheers!
    Cheers, Durango! Thank you!

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Great work And I regognized a few people on the portraits

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus View Post
    Great work And I regognized a few people on the portraits
    Thank you

I'm not surprised that you noted the real people depicted, haha. Comes with the research and knowledge. Honestly, I don't know how you manage to both produce all this graphical material for all parts of your mod, AND do the research -- at least I had the luxury of only focusing on one thing...

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Thank you

I'm not surprised that you noted the real people depicted, haha. Comes with the research and knowledge. Honestly, I don't know how you manage to both produce all this graphical material for all parts of your mod, AND do the research -- at least I had the luxury of only focusing on one thing...
    Now with a fulltime job, it's really quite difficult. But when I was still at university I had a lot of time and Imperial Splendour is and was always a team job

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Miltonr87's Avatar Foederatus

Amazing job. I loved the details of all faces, it was better than the art produced for Napoleon Total War.

Quote Originally Posted by Miltonr87 View Post
    Amazing job. I loved the details of all faces, it was better than the art produced for Napoleon Total War.
    Glad you like it! But compared to the NTW art team, I basically cheated by having access to all paintings out there by the great masters, while they had to pump them out from scratch. Overall, detailed 2D art is IMHO the best way to represent characters in any TW game, of any era.

Very nice mod Durango! I love it. For those who would like to play this mod with Darth Mod, here's a little tutorial to do it quickly. You'll need to install "Rusted Pack File Manager" first.

Darth Mod Compatibility 1. If its the first time you use RPFM, follow this step first. Open RPFM, then click on 'PackFile' button in the upper left of your window. Go to your 'Preferences'. Enter the path that leads to where you have your game installed (the .exe file of the game). The end of the path should look like this : .../steamapps/common/Empire Total War

2. Now open this pack file that can be found in your data folder of the game : DME_Custom.pack

3. Open the collapsible section then expand the UI folder. You will see another folder called 'Portraits'. Click-right on it and delete it.

4. The mod should work now. If for some reason it doesn't, do this after deleting the portrait folder.

5. At the top of your list, in your collapsible section, you will see 'DME_Custom.pack'. Right click on it and click 'Add...' and 'Add from PackFile'.

6. Select Durango's mod 'Durango_Historical_Portraits_1.0.pack'. Open the collapsible title and you will see 'ui'. Double left-click on it. It will add it to the Darth Mod and voilą.

And while I'm at it, here's another little help.

Dagestan Bugdfix for Darth Mod 1. Go to data/campaigns/DME and open scripting.lua and go at the bottom.

2. At the bottom you should see these lines :

Code:
    local function OnWorldCreated()
    	scripting.game_interface:technology_osmosis_for_playables_enable_culture("european")
    	scripting.game_interface:technology_osmosis_for_playables_enable_all()
    end
    You'll need to add this line :

Code:
    local function OnWorldCreated()
    	scripting.game_interface:grant_faction_handover("ottomans","chechenya_dagestan",0,0,context)
    	scripting.game_interface:technology_osmosis_for_playables_enable_culture("european")
    	scripting.game_interface:technology_osmosis_for_playables_enable_all()
    end
    This will have the effect of giving Dagestan to the Ottoman Empire. I think you can give it to Russia if you prefer by just writing 'russia' (or 'russians') instead of 'ottomans'.
    Last edited by R.P. Gryphus; October 07, 2020 at 04:24 PM.

Apparently, CA changed the data table order for european generals when they updated the game to the Definitive Edition. Everything still works as it should, but for some people this mod no longer provides historical starting generals with unique portraits... like Eugene von Savoy and Ivan Mazepa for example.

I will have to investigate this.

Lovely portraits. CA should fire their artists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast