Thread: A Review of Chivalry II: The Sicilian Vespers from a long-time fan

Default A Review of Chivalry II: The Sicilian Vespers from a long-time fan

Back in the day, Chivalry 2 was one of my favorite Medieval 2 mods. It still is! I think it definitely deserves more attention than it gets.

Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: A Review of Chivalry II: The Sicilian Vespers from a long-time fan

Good review, I've added it to my list of advices which mod to play in the Med2.
    thanks!
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

It is a nice mod indeed, a pity that 4.0 was never released. I especially like that it included often neglected factions like Georgia, Armenia, Bulgaria, Latin Empire or Aragón.

I also second the comment that there are not many mods which are not heavy with scripts and graphics, which the engine/AI cannot really deal with.

My only concern is that while I really liked the difficult gameplay, smaller armies (much better than stack spams), extrastrong rebels, the AI was not really capable of dealing with them. I often felt that it is difficult to start rolling, but I you do, the AI will not be able to stop you. "one stack of professionals to rule them all".

It's a pity that there still isn't a proper follow up mod, similar to this. Especially with high/late era campaigns, with skins managable by an average computer.

How were you able to get the mod installed and started? I've tried to make this mod work for years and it never worked. Is there a tutorial on how to install it?

Quote Originally Posted by sullivanclan1 View Post
    How were you able to get the mod installed and started? I've tried to make this mod work for years and it never worked. Is there a tutorial on how to install it?
    Install as it should be. Then untick the "read-only" attributes for all folders and files. I think it should work then.

all of them are read-only?

all of them are read-only?
    check yourself. I had to do it. I've made it for each of the main folders separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Install as it should be. Then untick the "read-only" attributes for all folders and files. I think it should work then.
    Just tried, and it indeed works.

@sullivanclan1:
    1: install into the main M2TW folder. Eg.: c:\user...\games\M2TW (not M2TW/mods, or M2TW/mods/Sicilianvespers.). Do this with all three files.
    2: during install, when asked, allow to overwrite files
    3: after installing all 3 parts, right click on all 5 folders in M2TW/mods/Sicilianvespers. Remove read only. If asked, allow it to apply action to all subfolders and files.
    4: launch game, press the referring button for each era (1311 start is the grand campaign, the rest are among custom campaigns)

I think i messed something up with the main vanilla game. I am searching for some help.

I think i messed something up with the main vanilla game. I am searching for some help.
    If you are not confident in installing mods, I think the easiest is:
    1: install vanilla M2
    2: make a copy of your whole M2 install, and save the original as a backup. (so you have like ...games\M2TW and ...games/M2TWmodded)
    3: use the copy to install mods onto
    This way you always have a fallback option to not start from scratch if something goes wrong.

how good are you at creating unit cards? just curious!!

Quote Originally Posted by shikaka View Post
    It is a nice mod indeed, a pity that 4.0 was never released. I especially like that it included often neglected factions like Georgia, Armenia, Bulgaria, Latin Empire or Aragón.
    I wonder if you, @Drtad, know why 4.0 failed? The mod leader lost interest? A conflict within the team (as, apprently, was the case for Bellum Crucis - with that ban from the mapmaker)

SicilianVespers simply got really busy and was unable to finish it unfortunately. No conflict
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    SicilianVespers simply got really busy and was unable to finish it unfortunately. No conflict
    Why didn't he passed over the mod to somebody?