Thread: State of the mod?

hooahguy14's Avatar Ducenarius

Default State of the mod?

So I've definitely been having some real urges to play some old-school TW and I remember how much I loved the original EB. Is EBII at a place now where it compares?
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: A Rome II Suebi AAR
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: State of the mod?

It's definitely the full successor of EB, only better and more detailed. The biggest contributors to the original game worked on this after all, and brought over everything they learned there and made it even better.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by hooahguy14 View Post
    So I've definitely been having some real urges to play some old-school TW and I remember how much I loved the original EB. Is EBII at a place now where it compares?
    This mod is more or less fully fleshed out and has most if not all the features of the original mod (with a few exceptions due to engine differences and/or limitations) and even features that EBI didn't have. All major factions from EBI are present and from memory there will be another faction added in the next official update. This mod is absolutely playable and I cannot recommend it more.

Quote Originally Posted by isa0005 View Post
    This mod is more or less fully fleshed out and has most if not all the features of the original mod (with a few exceptions due to engine differences and/or limitations) and even features that EBI didn't have. All major factions from EBI are present and from memory there will be another faction added in the next official update. This mod is absolutely playable and I cannot recommend it more.
    Well this is very good to hear! What are the features that are new that werent in EB1? And what are the ones that werent able to be included?

mAIOR's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by hooahguy14 View Post
    Well this is very good to hear! What are the features that are new that weren't in EB1? And what are the ones that werent able to be included?
    One of my favourite features are the Minor nations. Rebel faction now is split between culture groups creating a myriad of small nations that are a tough nut to crack. They are a bit like minor nations in Rome II (in fact, some of them are the same and they have much more). The economy has also been reworked and this version feels better. There are some design decisions I would question (like allowing the player to build mines everywhere) but the economy is really good. It seems that no matter how big you are, you are always struggling. Normally if you consolidate on one side, it means you are losing somewhere else.

Haven't played EB1 in more than a decade so I can't tell you what is missing. But it has a lot more in than EB1. If you start a new game, don't do it as Epirus, Carthage or the Seleucids as they are undergoing a massive rework next patch.

Thats really neat! Is there an ETA on the next patch?

Iberians are also getting a lot of stuff coming in the next patch.

So far, while we're under the impression that the patch is close, there isn't any word on actual release date.

EBI is a classic and always will be. Now EBII is a more advanced version of the initial goal, that was to improve historical accuracy and gameplay. Not only that, but we have way more mechanics available to us to use in EBII than we had in EBI. More types of governments, units diversity (no more clone armies), better scripts, etc.

I Miss a Roman Rebel Faction EB 2

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice1987 View Post
    I Miss a Roman Rebel Faction EB 2
    Well, start learning how to mod and create a shadow faction for Rome. It's never too late

I haven't actually played EBI, but I have toured the mod scene a little bit and I can safely say that EBII is a comprehensive and unique experience.