Thread: REMASTERING ROME TOTAL WAR FOR 2020.

Default REMASTERING ROME TOTAL WAR FOR 2020.

HELLO EVERYONE
    Just to say next week Rome Total War is SIXTEEN years old ,yes it's an old game now, BUT still a great game ,in the multiplayer part of the game we have noticed a bid decrease in player numbers ,so a group of us are thinking of contacting Creative Assembly(the developers of RTW) and Sega and Steam with some ideas to bring RTW into 2020 ,to attract new computer game players ,new players are essential for keeping RTW alive ,and i wondered if any of you might have any ideas and suggestions that we could take to Creative Assembly without taking away that "special" ingredient that has made it such a great game ,a sympathetic Remastering is maybe all that is needed ?.

HERE ARE SOME IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS SO FAR...

1) UPDATING THE GRAPHICS FOR 2020 ,updating the Graphics is essential to attract new players ,but giving really up to date modern graphics to RTW may cause problems for players with older computer in the form of lag ,so maybe two options when it come to Graphics , 1} new top notch modern graphics, 2} "Classic" graphics which would give the player original graphics ,so a player with an older comp could maybe play 2v2 with the new modern graphics ,then go to the "classic" graphics for any larger battles like 3v3 or 4v4.

2) Introducing blood and gore ,to give the battle more authenticity ,something i think modern computer game players demand.

3) In multiplayer at the moment the biggest battles are 4v4 ,how about a 6v6 or 8v8 ,WITHOUT lag ,i am not sure this can be done ,but surely in 2020 there might be a way of doing this ,imagine a massive 8v8 battle without any lag ,that would be epic.

4) NEW MAPS....ISLAND MAPS ,with an island map there would be several "wading point" for attacking troops to wade across to attack the island ,maybe water up to there chests ? ,imagine if the defending troops waded out into the water and they fought in the water ,add the blood and dead bodys floating in the water ,this could add another level of interest to the modern comp gamer ?.
    ISLAND MAPS WITH NO WADING POINTS ,there could be islands with no wading points, and the only way to attack would be by Roman landing crafts ,so say if each Roman ship could have 2 units in it ,your team could load all your troops up and each players decides on where there ships make a landing and disembark there troops to fight the enemy on the island.

5) Ask steam to have a look at why units in RTW "Glitch" so often ,which can really spoil the multiplayer battles.

These are just some of the ideas put forward ,is there anything else any of you would like to add ,i think if Creative assembly ,Sega and Steam can see a way of making good money again from RTW by Remastering and repackaging RTW ,they may become very interested in our ideas ,would be great if ALL the RTW community could contribute to a possible remastering of RTW ,and bringing it into 2020 ,so that it can once again attract newer players ,and there for keep RTW alive and well.

YOUR IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS THAT WE CAN TAKE TO CREATIVE ASSEMBLY ,SEGA and STEAM WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

Default Re: REMASTERING ROME TOTAL WAR FOR 2020.

Good luck with your project. I want to see that.

=)

ROME TOTAL REALISM ANABASIS FORUM: HERE

HI SOLON
    Thanks very much ,but its proving difficult to get a consensus to move forward with ,so many conflicting ideas !! ,i think we need to approach Creative assembly and Sega with some carefully thought through ideas ,to show we know what we are talking about ,if you know what i mean ,so i think this will be a difficult journey !! ,but if we don't attract new players to RTW ,it will die ,on a good night now we might see between 30 & 40 in the multiplayer lobby.

Good luck with this.

My interest is in campaigning so it may not fit your your ideas which seemed to be aimed at multiplayer battles.

My ideas are
    1) Better diplomacy since the current diplomacy is very poor and very exploitable.
    2) Perhaps introducing M2TW style recruiting.
    3) Blood and gore should be optional only. If I want to see gore I'll play DOOM.
    4) Some bug fixes such as
    a) Loaded ships still getting full movement when clicked on icon and not on map.
    b) Some difficulty in units responding to commands.
    c) The AI while defending cities not recognizing the whole size of attacking/adjacent forces (draw out exploit). Etc.
    I'm OldTotalWarrior on YouTube.

Greetings. I like your enthusiasm, spartan commander, regardless of whether it will lead to results or not.
    Anyway, an amateur modmaker has come to see you here, but he has some thoughts on how to improve the quality of both singleplayer and multiplayer.
    Possible improvements for single player mode:
    - The plundering of suburbs, minings and trade routes should bring tangible income.
    - Each faction should have internal enemies over time (yes, how exactly BI shadow factions). At least one separatist group (which will be very difficult to eliminate) for each living state - this will undoubtedly make the gameplay much more fun.
    - Unforeseen economic crises caused by looting enemies, poor harvests, fires, epidemics and corruption. As a result, the player will have to sacrifice something, such as laying treasures, disbanding some of their troops, or canceling planned construction.
    - Violation of diplomatic agreements leaves a stigma on the entire dynasty, and also sets up neighbors for future confrontation. AI will lose a lot by neglecting already existing military and economic treaties.
    - And the most important thing is the absence of major military hegemony. So, Only native and part of allied lands will be reliable sources of economic prosperity (in such case each faction has its own areal). The potential for recruiting allied troops should be great for each faction. But, of course, this won't extend to multiplayer at all.
    Well, It seems to I still remember the fun online battles, although always preferred 15K cwb much more than 32K fights.
    Possible improvements for multiplayer mode:
    Just one point, but extremely important.
    Delicate & plausible game balance. No offense, but by the beginning of the third century BC, the Spartans do indeed lose in battle to many of their enemies (Aetolians, Macedonians, Cretans, Thebans ...), their military potential was dwindling. Conversely, berserkers at that time were not as dangerous as they were after 4-5 centuries.
    Mercenaries made up no less than a third of all armies of that time and their contribution to the victory was very significant. And Many different auxiliary troops were in the arsenal of almost every faction that has survived to this point.
    Oh, by the way, the Celts (Gauls, Britons) had their own chariots and they knew perfectly well how to resist them. Plus, they also had heavy swordsmen / spearmen at their disposal, I was always amazed at how the Celts began to scatter when they were attacked by Egyptian chariots, this is absolutely nonsense. The same goes for the Germans, Dacians, even Iberians.
    The best of the Roman units were not so outstanding warriors, rather the military system/commanding staff/the methods of granting Roman citizenship that they used was outstanding. There were not many praetorians, the main force for romans was played by battle-hardened legions (principii electionis, triarii, legionnaires, evocatii, late legionnaires, etc.)
    Urban cohorts are also, in a sense, fiction. Actually, their task was to maintain proper order in the capital, and nothing more.
    p.s .: But In fact, only modmakers who are hardworking and loving to study history are able to create true harmony in multiplayer battles. Hm, they really should hire such a person.

HI GUYS .
    Thanks very much for your thoughts here ,i know there is a large RTW community who only play the campaign part of RTW ,so we need input by them to see what needs to be upgraded for them ,i think ALL of the RTW community need to pull together in this endeavor to attract new players to both Campaign and multiplayer ,with RTW being so old now ,if we don't attract new players there is a real chance it will kind of just fade away,so we are working on some ideas to modernise RTW to attract modern players WITHOUT taking away what makes RTW such a special game , ,and eventually we will get a petition going to present to Creative Assembly (the original developers of RTW) ,which we will need as many signatures as we can get ,the bottom line is if CA can see a way to make money again with a remastered and repackaged RTW ,then i think they may well go with our suggestions ,so any more suggestions are VERY welcome ,lets see if we can get this moving between us ,thanks very much for your inputs.