Thread: Does anyone had same specific problem as me and managed to solve it: My PC freezes to death (to reboot rather) when I load an RO campaign

Default Does anyone had same specific problem as me and managed to solve it: My PC freezes to death (to reboot rather) when I load an RO campaign

Dear all,
    Sorry to open a specific thread for my problem, but I have yet to find a solution. It's been many years I started playing IB and its mods, and JH may remember it. Speaking about JH, he tried his best to help me solve my problem, but to no avail yet. Saul Tyre also tried to help me, and I thank him for that.
    So a quick descritption of my problem (I have a 2 years old ASUS gamer computer, and I have been able to play all mods I have tried, including IB-SAI without a problem):
    Each time I load RO, and go on the campaign screen, when I choose a faction and press to "load" the campaign game on the main campaign screen, the thermometer to show the advance of loading doesn't even start, it freezes and even if I wait 10 hours (tried it already), it doesn't move further. I can't even use the task manager, I have to reboot my computer manually.
    JH sent me kindly some of his campaign saves, so that I tried to load them, using save games. Same effect. Thermometer never starts, it freezes to manual rebout.
    Has any of you had the same problem, and better, solved it?
    As I said to Julianus already, IB/RO (with AoD2, that will never happen) is my most wanted current mod. Period for me is just one of the best.
    Thank you very much, and sorry if I caused an inconvenience by starting a dedicated thread.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    FFJean

Default Re: Does anyone had same specific problem as me and managed to solve it: My PC freezes to death (to reboot rather) when I load an RO campaign

Hi mate! I think JH has already given you much more support and suggestions than I can, but I will try to give my little contribution as well. There's absolutely no reason why SAI or other mods work and RO doesn't, so if you have other mods in your root RTW folder I assume you have a clean and working vanilla RTW\BI.

-if RO is your only mod right now, try to reinstall RTW\BI
    -try to download again RO, both the exe and the zip version and install it again
    -put RTW root folder in antivirus and antimalware whitelist\exclusion list (do at your own risk)
    -run RTW without any compatibility mode. If it does not work, try with Win XP SP 2 and as administrator
    -run RTW in full screen mode (remove -ne from the launcher shortcut)
    -run RTW with dedicated graphics and disable antialiasing from the GPU control panel
    -be sure ALL screen resolution entries in preferences.txt is the same as your native screen
    -before starting a campaign, delete map.rwm

Hope this helps

Default Re: Does anyone had same specific problem as me and managed to solve it: My PC freezes to death (to reboot rather) when I load an RO campaign

Thank you Spartan,
    Indeed JH (and Saul Tyre) have supported me very kindly and actively, if for no success until now. So to answer you, I have re-installed RTW, re-downloaded and re-installed RO. So the root cause is not here. And yes, I have re-installed a number of mods, including SAI, that work like a charm.
    Regarding your other suggestions, as I am really dumb IT-wise, could you provide me just with a quick explanation:
    - 3rd: put RTW root folder in antivirus and antimalware whitelist\exclusion list (do at your own risk) -> what is the risk? I don't know how to put the RTW folder on the white list for antimalware and antivirus, not sure it will solve (afraid that the risk you mention is higher than the benefit possible, as my other mods work perfectly)
    - 4th: run RTW without any compatibility mode. If it does not work, try with Win XP SP 2 and as administrator. I just do not know how to do both (run without compatibility mode, and I have a Windows 10 Famille version of the system, not XP SP2)
    - 6th: run RTW with dedicated graphics and disable antialiasing from the GPU control panel. What do you mean by dedicated graphics? And the GPU panel?
    -7th: be sure ALL screen resolution entries in preferences.txt is the same as your native screen. Sorry again to be a nuisance, but I don't know where to look for my native screen resolution entries (I have only found 1920x1080), then I should modify the preferences.txt in my RO folder?
    Sorry for many of my questions, that must appear very basic, if not plain stupid.
    Last question, my RO folder is in the Rome - Total War main folder. Could you show me a picture of your install, or tell me how to post mine here? Among my problems, I don't know how to paste a pic of my install here!
    Thank you very much for your time and patience,
    FFJean

Quote Originally Posted by FFJean View Post
    Thank you Spartan,
    Indeed JH (and Saul Tyre) have supported me very kindly and actively, if for no success until now. So to answer you, I have re-installed RTW, re-downloaded and re-installed RO. So the root cause is not here. And yes, I have re-installed a number of mods, including SAI, that work like a charm.
    Regarding your other suggestions, as I am really dumb IT-wise, could you provide me just with a quick explanation:
    - 3rd: put RTW root folder in antivirus and antimalware whitelist\exclusion list (do at your own risk) -> what is the risk? I don't know how to put the RTW folder on the white list for antimalware and antivirus, not sure it will solve (afraid that the risk you mention is higher than the benefit possible, as my other mods work perfectly)
    - 4th: run RTW without any compatibility mode. If it does not work, try with Win XP SP 2 and as administrator. I just do not know how to do both (run without compatibility mode, and I have a Windows 10 Famille version of the system, not XP SP2)
    - 6th: run RTW with dedicated graphics and disable antialiasing from the GPU control panel. What do you mean by dedicated graphics? And the GPU panel?
    -7th: be sure ALL screen resolution entries in preferences.txt is the same as your native screen. Sorry again to be a nuisance, but I don't know where to look for my native screen resolution entries (I have only found 1920x1080), then I should modify the preferences.txt in my RO folder?
    Sorry for many of my questions, that must appear very basic, if not plain stupid.
    Last question, my RO folder is in the Rome - Total War main folder. Could you show me a picture of your install, or tell me how to post mine here? Among my problems, I don't know how to paste a pic of my install here!
    Thank you very much for your time and patience,
    FFJean
    -3rd: you can do it in your antivirus settings, but if other mods work don't bother.
    -4th: I mean right click on the BI.exe or the RO shortcut, go to the Compatibility tab and set the program to run with Windows XP SP2 settings. Lot of people say it helps, I found no benefit personally.
    -6th: if you have a "gamer laptop" you surely have a graphic chipset integrated in your motherboard that is used for most of the tasks, and a dedicated graphics card for games. If you right click on the BI.exe you should see an entry that says "run with processor" or something like that. Be sure the dedicated graphics are used. Also, check it in your control panel in the lower-right corner of your desktop.
    -7th: right click on your desktop, go into the settings and see what resolution you are using. Then modify preferences.txt in RO folder accordingly.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Hello, I have no idea what I am talking about just for the official record. Nevertheless I saw your plight and just had a thought- are you using a steam version? I imagine you have probably received great advice, so I wish you best of luck.
    I have never managed to get BI working windows 10 steam

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

i can only play with steam versions. be shure to change the starting settings and use play with bi-exe.
    you may check your asus graphic settings too. maybe antialiasing causes some issues