Thread: EBII Carthaginian test campaign - Test video

Default EBII Carthaginian test campaign - Test video

Hi guys!

Like promised, here is the first video of my Carthaginian campaign. It has the current EBII build + my own modifications and Erken content as well as Roma_Victrix music submod.

The turns take around two and half minutes so be sure to skip that part. You will see a lot of new mechanics for the next patch, be free to discuss them and ask about how they work

In this first video, we deal with the organization of Carthage and assemble an army to conquer Syracuse for good.

Default Re: EBII Carthaginian test campaign - Test video

Part II of the campaign. Now we deal with rebellions and send an expedition to the west, to conquer Likash! Meanwhile a new army threatens the cities in the east...

Part III of the test campaign, on this episode, we face the threat from the east and continue to manage our territories.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

The music at the beginning of the third episode really recalls the first games of the RTW with Scipioni and Bruti... Feels like it was yesterday...

What part of the mod will stay separate as minimods? Like the portraits? Field costs?
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; September 19, 2020 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    The music at the beginning of the third episode really recalls the first games of the RTW with Scipioni and Bruti... Feels like it was yesterday...
    That's why I play with Roma_Victrix music submod. Not because EBII music is bad, but because playing with RTW music makes me go again to the time when I was a teenager, spending afternoons playing Rome Total War without any mods, those were the days

Anyway, here is the fourth part of the campaign. This time I played some turns without recording so that we could go right away to the first war with Rome. All you missed were some battles in Africa against rebels and in Sicily against two Mamertine field armies. Now they try to defend their settlement. Will they succeed? Of course not

Edit: Forgot to say that I was unlucky to have the corruption script fire two more times, which is why I start the campaign in debt.

Last edited by Lusitanio; September 19, 2020 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    What part of the mod will stay separate as minimods? Like the portraits? Field costs?
    Actually, field costs will be included in the next patch with an even more advanced script.

Things that are part of my submod will be the portraits, corruption script, spoils of war script, and other scripts that you will see.

However, some scripts will be part of the main EBII like the garrison script (not mine creation, it was Quintus), the maritime raids script will be included but the script will be different and others.

Fifth Episode - Victory in Sicily!

After three years of war in Sicily, the Romans have finally been expelled. After this, it will be the time for Carthage to strike back and invade Italy!

Lusitanio, could you tell us how the field costs script works?

Maybe it was already explained, but it's been so long...

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Lusitanio, could you tell us how the field costs script works?Maybe it was already explained, but it's been so long...
    It's a script that takes money from you when you have armies outside of your settlements and it increases when you are besieging a settlement + the more settlements you have, the more costly it will be.

Do captains trigger the script, or is it just FMs? I don't retrain units at all. That means I sometimes have to keep spent units outside of cities to avoid the auto-retrain feature (GLITCH!) when I don't have a FM nearby

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Do captains trigger the script, or is it just FMs? I don't retrain units at all. That means I sometimes have to keep spent units outside of cities to avoid the auto-retrain feature (GLITCH!) when I don't have a FM nearby
    They do, in fact, captain lead stacks cost even more. Never noticed that glitch but since I do retrain units, I guess that would be okay for me

Episode VI of the Carthaginian campaign.

We managed to conquer Rhegion to the Romani, however, Iberian rebels, a Roman invasion of Africa and Numidian attacks prevent us from expanding in Italy...

Still, we have two great battles, one against the Iberians and one against the Roman invaders.

I forgot to change the Xanthippos event description according to my changes, which would inform the player what was happening. It should have been this one:

Romani Invasion!
    Great Sophet!
    We were unable to stop a Romani invasion fleet that disembarked in our homeland regions. The ships of the invading army were drawn up onto the beach and surrounded with a rampart ad ditch and Aspis was besieged. Once the city fell, the Romani sent a series of plundering expeditions throughout the highly fertile region, rounding up cattle, putting to the torch the farmhouses of our wealthy citizens and captured over 20,000 men, including numbers of Romani and Italics taken prisioner during the war. After that, they defeated two of our armies that were sent against them, so that we found ourselves in need to hire more soldiers. The situation grew worse, with refugees flooding into the Qart-Hadasht, spreading panic and causing food shortages and, again as in Agathocles time, revolts are starting to erupt on the countryside as our Libyan and Numidian subjects seem to have grow tired of paying their contribution to the war efforts and now raid our lands, causing as much damage as the Romani... Thus, I bring interesting news from the army camp. As you know, our recruiters brought a considerable number of soldiers from Greece last winter. Among them there is a Xanthippos of Lacedaemon who says that we, the Qarthadastim, owe our defeats not to the Romani, but to ourselves, through the inexperience of our generals. We have summoned Xanthippos so that he can explain his estimate of the situation to the council of one hundred and four. He has said that we are making a grave mistake by avoiding the open ground because this restricts our elephants and our superior numbers in cavalry. He urges us to take his advice and you must decide quickly, great Sophet.
    Should we accept Xanthippos' advice and give him a special command, entrusting our forces to him, or should we send the arrogant Greek back to Sparta?

Last edited by Lusitanio; September 20, 2020 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    They do, in fact, captain lead stacks cost even more. Never noticed that glitch but since I do retrain units, I guess that would be okay for me
    Thanks for the heads-up. I'll put more effort into sending depleted units to my core lands.

mAIOR's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    It's a script that takes money from you when you have armies outside of your settlements and it increases when you are besieging a settlement + the more settlements you have, the more costly it will be.
    What is the rationale for the cost increase? And how will we be able to tell how much money is being drained for our coffers? Mind you, no problem with that at all, I always found armies in TW games too cheap to use. There is a reason rulers built war chests before war and that nations in the 16th century literally defaulted on their payments due to the ruinous cost of war. But how much control will we have over it?

Quote Originally Posted by mAIOR View Post
    What is the rationale for the cost increase? And how will we be able to tell how much money is being drained for our coffers? Mind you, no problem with that at all, I always found armies in TW games too cheap to use. There is a reason rulers built war chests before war and that nations in the 16th century literally defaulted on their payments due to the ruinous cost of war. But how much control will we have over it?
    Quintus developed that system, so I think it's better to be him to tell you. Like I wrote previously, this is a test campaign, I'm also testing the fied costs and later providing feedback to the team as well as some other traits and issues.

Quote Originally Posted by mAIOR View Post
    The bigger your empire, the more complex the administration and greater scope for graft.

No way of telling you how much is being drained, because it's done by script. It might appear somewhere on the finance scroll, but unsure.

You don't have much control over it, besides not leaving Captain-led stacks (which are very expensive), and keeping your Supplies trait up (by returning to your own territory).