Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ginsberg dies

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Ginsberg dies

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    I literally only quoted what Ginsburg said. Your pathetic attempt at an attack is a testament of the lack of merit of your position. Here is more on what she's pointing at:

Supreme Court addresses question of foreign law in US courts

She also penned a rather long article on her position here: "A decent Respect to the Opinions of [Human]kind": The Value of a Comparative Perspective in Constitutional Adjudication Constitutional Court of South Africa

As it was pointed out earlier by her, if the court can look at what a law professor wrote, why can't it look at what an other countries' court wrote? Your point applies to both. Yet, one is vilified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    Agree or disagree with Ginsburg’s broad discretion; to insinuate she was disloyal or otherwise unfaithful to her oath as a Justice is too dumb even to be a pathetic political pot shot.
    Here is the oath she took:

“I, ________________, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

That pretty well says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    Agree or disagree with Ginsburg’s broad discretion; to insinuate she was disloyal or otherwise unfaithful to her oath as a Justice is too dumb even to be a pathetic political pot shot.
    In comments on other sites the right is celebrating now. They hated Ginsburg and called her a traitor for her pro LGBT+ rights stance, because the main thrust of the Republican party-besides funneling the nation's wealth to the mega rich-is that only straight white men should have rights.

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Typical leftist reaction to losing a court seat:

https://notthebee.com/article/video-...ver-rbgs-death

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pointofviewgun
    ..Except it was Republicans that did that.

Republicans go ‘nuclear,’ bust through Democratic filibuster on Gorsuch
    Incorrect, Harry Reid changed the rules in 2013.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...nuclear-option

In any case, a nominee should be put forward to avoid a foreseeable constitutional crisis.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Quote Originally Posted by Van Zandt View Post
    Incomplete. Republicans expanded the rules to include SCOTUS judges in 2017 to get Gorsuch through.

In any case, a nominee should be put forward to avoid a foreseeable constitutional crisis.
    Republicans can do whatever they want. This may energize Democrat voters and we might get enough Senators and Reps in to pack the Court. If McConnell wants to keep playing "winner takes all" politics, I'm game, and so are many others.

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Seems the Donald is backing away from a pre-election Senate vote.

“We win an election and those are the consequences,” said the president, who then seemed to signal that he’d be willing to accept a vote on his nominee during the lame duck period after the election. “We have a lot of time. We have plenty of time. We’re talking about January 20th.”
    Also interesting that he seems to be pledging to put forth a woman. Doesn't sound like a classic Republican thing, gender quotas...

Taking the stage at a North Carolina rally to chants of “Fill that seat,” the president said he would nominate his selection despite Democrats’ objections. And, after conducting what he joked was a “very scientific poll” of the Fayetteville crowd as to whether supporters wanted a man or a woman, he declared the choice would be “a very talented, very brilliant woman.”
    https://apnews.com/753d6979e8db6f7f0a9da03f2ee371ef
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    Here is the oath she took:

“I, ________________, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

That pretty well says it all.
    Except it has no contradiction with what she suggests. What it shows is that you're trying to grasp straws.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Zandt View Post

Nope. As your article points out Democrats didn't touch the Supreme Court nominations there.
    The Armenian Issue

Democrats are well-funded and enjoy unconditional support from Academia, corporate media, entertainment industry and foreign powers, but they are run by stupid people that constantly shoot themselves in the foot. They removed the majority requirement for a SCOTUS appointment, ironically same party that wanted to give SCOTUS absolute power in Obama era now wants it limited because they no longer get to do any appointments there in the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Democrats are well-funded and enjoy unconditional support from Academia, corporate media, entertainment industry and foreign powers, but they are run by stupid people that constantly shoot themselves in the foot. They removed the majority requirement for a SCOTUS appointment, ironically same party that wanted to give SCOTUS absolute power in Obama era now wants it limited because they no longer get to do any appointments there in the foreseeable future.
    This is a lie. A blatant one at this point.
    The Armenian Issue

Democrats are well-funded and enjoy unconditional support from Academia, corporate media, entertainment industry and foreign powers
    Of course. Everyone including Biden and his son, Harris, Obama, Clinton, Gens. Mattis and Colin Powell, Dr. Facui, Bill Gates, BLM, Antifa groups, the Democratic Party, the FBI, CIA, all of the DoJ except maybe Barr, everyone who works in the entertainment industry, all news media but OANN and sometimes FOX, the entire nation of China, the UN and the WHO, are all part of an Illuminati-like cabal out to destroy Trump. And George Soros runs it all from behind the scenes.

Trump meanwhile is Captain America himself, selflessly fighting against the evil-doers and Demons of Satan.

Makes total sense.

No wait, that is stupid and nonsensical persecution-fetishism.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Your attempts to throw his argument into ridicule only strengthens it. The Democrats ARE very well funded. Hillary raised a lot more money than Trump. Biden got 200m just from BLM and Antifa donation sites alone.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; September 20, 2020 at 08:06 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    This is a lie. A blatant one at this point.

Gainsaying isn't an argument.

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

So is McConnell a confirmed and recognized hypocrite now, or can he still spin this somehow?

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    So is McConnell a confirmed and recognized hypocrite now, or can he still spin this somehow?
    His spin is that it's different this time because last time there was a split between president and Senate so the people should have the chance to decide the difference. This time Senate and the president are in sync, so there's no need for the people to be involved.

It does have a logic to it. But there's plenty of room for this to be considered hypocrisy.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Gainsaying isn't an argument.
    You can project all you want. It's a Googleable fact that Democrats did not include the Supreme Court. Republicans did that. You've been pointed this out before with sources. You're shamelessly lying about this.
    The Armenian Issue

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by antaeus View Post
    His spin is that it's different this time because last time there was a split between president and Senate so the people should have the chance to decide the difference. This time Senate and the president are in sync, so there's no need for the people to be involved.

It does have a logic to it. But there's plenty of room for this to be considered hypocrisy.
    I guess I agree with that. In 2016 his rhetoric was focused on it being an election year, not that there was a split between president and congress. So there is indeed logic in his current position, but it is also undeniably a spin.

I wonder if they will manage to get a new justice sworn in before they lose the elections. I also wonder what the reaction from the other side will be after they win the elections. I read somewhere the democrats want to increase the size of the court, so they can load it with their picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Biden 2020
    Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden on Sunday delivered uncompromising remarks, calling for Republicans to hold off on considering a Supreme Court nominee from President Trump until after the Nov. 3 general election.

Biden urged Republican lawmakers to respect the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's dying wish that she "not be replaced until a new president is installed."

"As a nation, we should heed her final call to us," Biden said in campaign remarks in Philadelphia.

"To jam this nominee through the Senate is an exercise of raw political power," he said, asking for a "handful" of Republicans to "please follow your conscience."

This appointment is about the future, and the people of this country are deciding their future right now," Biden said. Three times in his remarks, Biden referenced the fact that voters have already started casting their ballots in this year's general election.

https://www.npr.org/sections/death-o...-court-nominee
    Quote Originally Posted by McConnell 2016
    Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell vowed again Wednesday to block President Obama's Supreme Court nomination, saying the American people should have a "voice" in the process.

It seems clear President Obama made this nomination not, not with the intent of seeing the nominee confirmed, but in order to politicize it for purposes of the election," McConnell said.

"I believe the overwhelming view of the Republican Conference in the Senate is that this nomination should not be filled, this vacancy should not be filled by this lame duck president," McConnell said.

"The American people are perfectly capable of having their say on this issue, so let's give them a voice. Let's let the American people decide. The Senate will appropriately revisit the matter when it considers the qualifications of the nominee the next president nominates, whoever that might be," McConnell said.

https://www.npr.org/2016/03/16/47066...e-not-a-person
    Quote Originally Posted by Biden 2016
    IN my 36-year tenure in the United States Senate — nearly half of it as chairman or ranking Democrat on the Judiciary Committee — I presided or helped preside over nine nominees to the Supreme Court, from both Republican and Democratic presidents. That’s more than anyone else alive today.

In every instance we adhered to the process explicitly laid out in the Constitution: The president has the constitutional duty to nominate; the Senate has the constitutional obligation to provide advice and consent. It is written plainly in the Constitution that both presidents and senators swear an oath to uphold and defend.

Under my chairmanship, every Supreme Court nominee was given a hearing and a vote in the Judiciary Committee. And I made sure every nominee was given a full vote on the floor of the Senate, even those whose initial vote in the Judiciary Committee had failed, and even those whom I opposed. Only those who withdrew did not get floor votes. This position earned me the anger of my own party. But I believed strongly that the Constitution, clearly and plainly, calls for all 100 senators to advise and consent on nominees — not just the handful on the Judiciary Committee.

I know there is an argument that no nominee should be voted on in the last year of a presidency. But there is nothing in the Constitution — or our history — to support this view. Justice Anthony M. Kennedy was confirmed in the last year of Ronald Reagan’s second term. I know. I was chairman of the Judiciary Committee at the time. And we promptly gave him a hearing, a vote in committee and a full vote on the floor.

I hope that Republican leaders will take a step back and think about what they are doing. I hope they will think about the oaths they have taken. I hope they will think about their responsibility to the voters of this nation. And I hope they will think about their role in upholding the integrity of the United States Senate.

If they love the Senate as much as I do, they need to act.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/04/o...d-consent.html
    Quote Originally Posted by McConnell 2020
    "President Trump's nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate," McConnell, a Kentucky Republican, said in a statement Friday evening that sets GOP lawmakers on a collision path with Democrats, though the exact timing of such a fight -- in particular how much of it would happen ahead of or after Election Day -- was not immediately clear.

Senate Majority Whip John Thune, the number two GOP senator, backed McConnell, saying in a statement of his own, "I believe Americans sent a Republican president and a Republican Senate to Washington to ensure we have an impartial judiciary that upholds the Constitution and the rule of law. We will fulfill our obligation to them. As Leader McConnell has said, President Trump's Supreme Court nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the U.S. Senate."
    Maybe Biden saw the constitutional wisdom in McConnell’s 2016 position and has changed his mind accordingly. Maybe McConnell was haunted by Biden’s 2016 exhortation to uphold his constitutional duty and vote on a nominee without delay. Or maybe this is just politics and no one is gonna give anyone credit for ignoring obvious political realities for the sake of rhetorical consistency.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Just let the Republicans have the nomination. Hell let them vote the justice in. Democrats just need to use the real nuclear option assuming they win the Senate and Biden wins.

assuming they win the Senate and Biden wins.
    That worked for Democrats last time, didn't it?

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

That worked for Democrats last time, didn't it?
    You mean the last elections in 2018 where Democrats took the House from the Republicans? Cause it certainly worked out well for the Democrats.

Dems just need to grow a pair and pack the court.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast