Thread: How much work is it to change the start of a mod

Default How much work is it to change the start of a mod

For example, say i wanted to edit a mod; and i want to make the start date start 100 years laters; how much work would that take? Is it a herculean task, or is it a minor edit? I'm just asking for barebones at first. Like i would want to change the starting positions for all factions, change the rulers, but the rest can be the same (recruitment etc)...

I'm just wondering if it's something even worth looking into for someone that only knows the basics of how it all works, or is it better to not even dabble in it. If it's just editing a couple of files i think it would be relatively easy to do

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Default Re: How much work is it to change the start of a mod

Changing the starting date, positions of factions or characters, all of that can be done only by editing the campaign text file thats located in the campaign subfolder, thats in data/world/campaign.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

1. Install my modding set up (Bare Geomod) so you don't mess up your main game
    2. Open the descr_strat.txt file in the mods\bare_geomod\data\world\campaign\imperial_campaign folder
    3. Change start_date and end_date years (lines 34 and 35) at your pleasure and save
    4. Start the set up with it's desktop shortcut

Changing starting positions (characters, ownership of settlements) can be done in that file as well.
    Changing location of settlements is done in the map files (world\base folder)

Click on my signature to find a list of helpful tutorials with regards to mapping.
    Last edited by Gigantus; September 18, 2020 at 08:21 AM.

Thanks! So basically everything i would need to edit is in the descr_strat.txt file? I will read the tutorials, just one more question. Say i wanted to add the Timurids as a playable faction, are there other files i would need to EDIT apart from the descr_strat.txt file? So basically a faction that already has some initial work done on it but was meant to be emergent

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

You know, i havent been looking at those files for a while, but you might want to also check the campaign script file for those emergent factions scritps. Otherwise, yes, you should edit them in the descr strat file. The very top section starts with faction lists and you can easily add timurids to playable factions. Then down in the section where each faction is listed search for timurids and add them some regions, or whatever else you want.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Playable Timurids - as horde.

Fantastic, i'll try this out!