Thread: Arevaci Revolts

Default Arevaci Revolts

Was just reading the campaign_script.txt and was terrified at the number of scripted revolts across nearly all settlements in the Arevaci zone of expansion. They all occur if a historically unpopular building specific to that region is constructed - the question is do these revolts happen every turn, or does each region's revolt trigger only once? Also, how will 2.35a affect this script feature? I know that both Iberian factions are getting a major overhaul... hopefully y'all have considered toning down these anti-boomer revolts

Default Re: Arevaci Revolts

They got even worse now

Taking into consideration how hard it was for Carthage and Rome to conquer Iberia, that's not even enough

That would be a major turnoff for achieving the Arevaci Reforms. Although you get a very good top tier Arevaci Colonization building, the price is dealing with revolts every turn (for a small empire of 20+ settlements). Even if the Arevaci player painstakingly reviews campaign_script.txt to build the right buildings there's still Celtiberian Youths vs Senators revolts. If it got worse in 2.35a I can only imagine the Celtiberian Youths developing a boomer remover plague. Maybe that should go into the Thread for Horrible Suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    That would be a major turnoff for achieving the Arevaci Reforms. Although you get a very good top tier Arevaci Colonization building, the price is dealing with revolts every turn (for a small empire of 20+ settlements). Even if the Arevaci player painstakingly reviews campaign_script.txt to build the right buildings there's still Celtiberian Youths vs Senators revolts. If it got worse in 2.35a I can only imagine the Celtiberian Youths developing a boomer remover plague. Maybe that should go into the Thread for Horrible Suggestions.
    Oh you mean for the Arevaci itself? Well, the revolts are much more reduced for Iberian factions. I playtested with them for quite a few turn and it was pretty fine.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I think it's funny how literally half the settlements in the Iberian peninsula give you the civil unrest message right when you capture them, meaning you better have one of your best governors there right away with traits/ancillaries geared towards decreasing unrest, or they will instantly start rioting and then revolt after just a couple turns. Sekeiza is just the worst. I don't even bother building an allied government there, just a native administration and keeping my best governors there at all times, just like with Bagiennorum in Liguria, northern Italia, or Akko in Judea. There are just certain settlements in this game that are a pain in the neck and there's no getting around it, because it's scripted that way.

The huge distraction caused by these revolts definitely consumes time, resources, manpower and slows down expansion that could be happening elsewhere, so it is definitely in line with EBII's efforts to force slow empire building on behalf of the player. You basically cannot become Alexander the Great in this game and just conquer half the known world all at once or in just a single generation. Rome wasn't built in a day either, so the saying goes. Over time, though, even these Iberian settlements can be quelled with enough cultural conversion, but that takes literal decades of time and close attention, rotating your best generals and governors in and out of the region to make sure those settlements stay quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    This revolt event will be replaced in the next version by a new event in which you still suffer the youth rebellions but this time, you will "only" lose some unit pools and a few buildings will be damaged. The event will have its own text and picture. Surely, this is a best way to represent the stais that was suffered by the Celtiberian city-states.

Quote Originally Posted by Trarco View Post
    This revolt event will be replaced in the next version by a new event in which you still suffer the youth rebellions but this time, you will "only" lose some unit pools and a few buildings will be damaged. The event will have its own text and picture. Surely, this is a best way to represent the stais that was suffered by the Celtiberian city-states.
    That's good to hear! One pain point of the late game is having to fight a ton of battles defending your sprawling empire from encroachers on every front. The current implementation of the Youth Revolts aggravates this problem, but it sounds like 2.35a's will rectify it.