View Poll Results: Thrace or someone else?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep Thrace in!

6 35.29%
  • It doesn't matter to me

2 11.76%
  • Ditch Thrace for a new faction!

9 52.94%

Thread: Thrace -OR- Something else?

Default Thrace -OR- Something else?

Hello again! I have another poll for you all, thank you to those who have participated in the last poll, it definitely has shown that there is a desire for having the vanilla roman faction setup to stay in as well as the desire to unify them and see 3 new factions.

This poll will be to determine the fate of Thrace. They are the odd man out usually and for very good reason.. their existence in the game just doesn't make good sense compared to the rest of the factions.

First of all Historically speaking, the region of Thrace at this time was a wasteland after the Gauls sacked the area and established the Kingdom of Tylis.. it would only take 50 years for the Thracians to re-assert themselves in the area but they were never a regional power.
    They also never really had large scale wars against Rome, or were involved in any major conflicts.. so it begs the question of 'where do they fit in?'.

From a gameplay standpoint they have it rough.. having to go against the Gauls, Dacians, Macedon, Pontus & the Seleucids.. and possibly even Egypt just to get a solid foothold. They don't usually last very long.

However I understand the nostalgic and fan favoritism that this faction brings, so I don't mind keeping them in. Again I want to hear what YOU all think, and we will see what happens in the future!

As with last time, please comment why you voted, and if you can't vote, please comment your vote!

Thanks,

~ahowl11

Default Re: Thrace -OR- Something else?

I voted.

Better look for more interesting faction.

ROME TOTAL REALISM ANABASIS FORUM: HERE

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

Just found the mod after a long leave from Total War. Very good job, just what I always wanted! (maybe level 5 settlements to barbarians, but that's pretty much it.)

Thrace: I always liked them, a very unique mix of greek and barbarian units. However, they are usually the first to be destroyed, so I don't mind if they are removed.

Ideas:
    I always felt that the AI is incapable of defending factions, which are "set up to blitz". As a human player, the start position of Gaul, Greek cities and Carthage makes it easy to rapidly expand in multiple directions. But the AI is incapable of defending a spread out realm like this.
    Therefore the idea would be to split one of these into two, to make a more compact realm easier to defend for the AI.
    a: french and northern Italy gauls as two factions
    b: greece: syracuse + other
    c: carthage: spain+mallorca (maybe corsica) vs. northern africa+sicily+sardinia

Otherwise there are not many blank spots on the maps, maybe with the exception of the far north. (the amazons )

Quote Originally Posted by shikaka View Post
    Just found the mod after a long leave from Total War. Very good job, just what I always wanted! (maybe level 5 settlements to barbarians, but that's pretty much it.)

Thrace: I always liked them, a very unique mix of greek and barbarian units. However, they are usually the first to be destroyed, so I don't mind if they are removed.

Ideas:
    I always felt that the AI is incapable of defending factions, which are "set up to blitz". As a human player, the start position of Gaul, Greek cities and Carthage makes it easy to rapidly expand in multiple directions. But the AI is incapable of defending a spread out realm like this.
    Therefore the idea would be to split one of these into two, to make a more compact realm easier to defend for the AI.
    a: french and northern Italy gauls as two factions
    b: greece: syracuse + other
    c: carthage: spain+mallorca (maybe corsica) vs. northern africa+sicily+sardinia

Otherwise there are not many blank spots on the maps, maybe with the exception of the far north. (the amazons )
    Thanks for playing and welcome back! Also thank you for the suggestions though I probably won’t be splitting any factions, there are other ways to enhance balance.
    You should join the discord for the RTW community, there many mods are worked on including this one! https://discord.gg/UzQxRWh

Kirila the Kitten's Avatar Primicerius

Always voting for Thrace out of simple bias.

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Kirila the Kitten View Post
    Always voting for Thrace out of simple bias.
    Dacia might be able to use an extra province to the East...

What would you replace Thrace with though? There is not much space on the map where there are many rebel provinces.

I'd keep Thrace in mod, for the vanilla vibe

I know it's a bit late, but I voted to nix Thrace in favour of another faction in Asia Minor or the East.