Thread: Wheel of Names TWR2 - Grand Campaign

Default Wheel of Names TWR2 - Grand Campaign

Hello,

I struggle to decide which faction to play as when beginning a new game. Fortunately I discovered this tool online called Wheel of Names. Now I can offer up my fate to the Gods. Here is the version I made for the Grand Campaign. https://wheelofnames.com/h9k-2gu

Enjoy.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Default Re: Wheel of Names TWR2 - Grand Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Agriphal View Post
    Hello,

I struggle to decide which faction to play as when beginning a new game. Fortunately I discovered this tool online called Wheel of Names. Now I can offer up my fate to the Gods. Here is the version I made for the Grand Campaign. https://wheelofnames.com/h9k-2gu

Enjoy.
    Thanks for making and sharing this. Not being able to decide who to play next (because I want to play them all! ) is a common problem I have, so this will be very useful. It seems I have a Getae campaign in my future.

Also welcome to Total War Centre and congratulations on the first post.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

I got....Syracuse *flashbacks to many a failed campaigns*

Time to offer sacrifices to Athena and hope my pike walls hold true.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    I got....Syracuse *flashbacks to many a failed campaigns*

Time to offer sacrifices to Athena and hope my pike walls hold true.
    I've only played Syracuse in Rise of the Republic, but you've piqued my interest.

What makes them such a challenge in Grand Campaign?

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post
    I've only played Syracuse in Rise of the Republic, but you've piqued my interest.

What makes them such a challenge in Grand Campaign?

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    A Syracuse campaign depends on two choices within, say, the first 5 turns:

1) You pick a side between Rome and Carthage early near immediately
    2) You remain neutral and try to build your starting settlement and military, until Rome or Carthage (or both) try to kill you

You need a strong diplomacy game and a real good familiarity of Hellenic units to make it through the early game of Syracuse. Carthage and Libya are super aggressive, and unless you can secure a defensive alliance with Rome, they'll be coming after you despite the initial trade agreement you start out with at the beginning of the game. Since you share a province with two other factions, your culture/public order will need constant attention as well. Syracuse doesn't really have any special units either: their roster is a carbon copy of Athens.

Expansion is also some tough leather to chew on: attacking Carthage takes you south and leaving your settlements in the shared province with Rome open for a backstab. Attacking Rome is a similar problem. And on top of all that, you don't exactly have a profitable starting settlment.

I think for this campaign though I'll migrate to Cyrene and secure an alliance with Egypt. Build from an actual city rather than the measly village you start out in.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

That's a very accurate summary of Syracuse's challenges in the early campaign. (I stayed out of the Rome-Carthage war as much as possible, taking a city in Illyria and slowly stabilising it with a temple before turning the Ardiaei into a client state and recruiting levy axemen - like your plan with Egypt, I wanted an ally). Good luck with your migration to Cyrene! Having a proper city and Egypt as an ally sounds more promising than Syracuse's starting position. I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    That's a very accurate summary of Syracuse's challenges in the early campaign. (I stayed out of the Rome-Carthage war as much as possible, taking a city in Illyria and slowly stabilising it with a temple before turning the Ardiaei into a client state and recruiting levy axemen - like your plan with Egypt, I wanted an ally). Good luck with your migration to Cyrene! Having a proper city and Egypt as an ally sounds more promising than Syracuse's starting position. I'd be interested to hear how you get on.
    I lost lol Carthage and Co. declared war on me just as I left Syracuse and took it. By the time I got to Cyrene and conquered it (with heavier losses than expected due to attrition) Libya had a full stack on the way and ended up taking the city, then a Carthage fleet took out my remaining admiral. My alliance with Egypt came too late and didn't help much.

Think I'll try your strategy with the Illyrian client state for next time. That's actually a pretty secure section of the map that I always see surviving until late game.