Thread: Help Needed With Replacing Units

Default Help Needed With Replacing Units

Hello, not sure if this is the right place to ask but here it goes.

So i have SSHIP with KCC 0.9.4(v2), Kostic's mod replaces the Crusader Knights models, i wanted to take the Crusader Knights from SSHIP and replace the Knights Templar (and the dismounted variant) after i install KCC.
    I managed to do this with the Hospitaller Knights but that was easy since it was just a bunch of copy pasting with meshes, textures and editing bm and edu, i tried doing the same with the Crusader Knights but it CTD as soon as i launch the game.

Some screenshots for reference.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

So what i am saying is that i want to take these 2 units (Crusader Knights and Dismounted Crusader Knights) then install KCC over SSHIP and put these models back in, not into the same unit but into the Knights Templar instead (dismounted variant too).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Help Needed With Replacing Units

look into the log file or post it, could be a simple edu mistake

otherwise, CTDs as soon as you launch the game are most likely a bm error, make sure the numbers are right, that one always gets me

but if that doesnt work either then check every line in bm on hospitallers to make sure all models, attachements, meshes, textures are where they are supposed to be

Hey, thanks for the reply.

The problem is not with the Hospitallers but with the Crusaders/Templars.
    What i did was copy all the stuff i needed (meshes, textures, edu and bm lines) then i installed KCC, after that i did the same thing as with the Hospitallers, copy paste all the stuff that was needed. However the files that i copied had the same name as the ones in KCC, so i overwrote it. I'm not sure if everything matched, numbers etc. The crash log in the SS folder just says it's an unspecified error while the Med 2 one has a bunch of tga and dds files missing.

Could you perhaps tell me the exact process on how to transfer the 2 Crusader units from SSHIP and then transfer them to the 2 Templar units once i install KCC?

ok, i think if doesnt say anything about edu then it's pretty much guaranteed to be the battle_models

the exact process is to just copy the files, textures, models etc then simply update the bm

also use notepad++ or something else to open bm, just not notepad, everything will be messed up and hard to understand

try aswell to copy paste few lines at a time when updating the bm, yea it's tedious af but it's safe, dont copy paste the whole unit

taking knights_templar as example, first update this block

Code:
    1 1 
    50 unit_models/bc_units/koj_knights_templar_lod0.mesh 6400
    then these (yes do it for all factions)

Code:
    59 unit_models/bc_units/textures/koj_knights_templar_A.texture
    66 unit_models/bc_units/textures/koj_knights_templar_normal_A.texture 
    47 unit_sprites/mongols_Mongol_Infantry_sprite.spr
    then these (all factions too)

Code:
    61 unit_models/bc_units/textures/koj_kite_shields_diff_A.texture
    61 unit_models/bc_units/textures/koj_kite_shields_norm_A.texture 0
    i never use space bar or anything else, only copy stuff around with ctrl+c and ctrl+v

It still crashes, unspecified error, nothing in either crash log.
    I did it line by line, i didn't copy paste the whole unit, made sure that every line of code led to their respective textures/meshes.
    What's weird is that it's fine with the Hospitallers, they work, but the Templars just crash.

Do you think maybe because i put the textures in attachments folder (just the ones that the path asks for)?

For reference, this is what i made it go to.

69 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/customme_atta_heavy_diff.texture
    74 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/customme_atta_heavy_norm.texture 0

(Had to rename the files because otherwise they would have overwritten other files which made certain units silver surfers).

Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr Hinn Beinlausi View Post
    Do you think maybe because i put the textures in attachments folder (just the ones that the path asks for)?
    dont know what you mean, just put them where the path says

and you say hospitallers work, so it's after you edit only the templars and nothing else in bm that game stops working ?

i made it go to.
    you wrote the path in bm ?

Yes i did, and yes it only crashes after i edit the templars, do you want me to post my bm and edu files?

Also what i meant by that the problem is with the attachments is that the Hospitallers have 4 different texture files that point to kahvi_units/textures (folder) while the Templars (2 textures) point to sandy_units/AttachmentSets and (another 2 textures) point to sandy_units/en_lmail_hmail/textures, is it because that these texture files shouldn't be in the attachment folder? (I put them there and edited the path to go there because the previous Templar unit files went there while the Crusader unit path did not have an attachment folder path.

Also what i meant by that the problem is with the attachments is that the Hospitallers have 4 different texture files that point to kahvi_units/textures (folder) while the Templars (2 textures) point to sandy_units/AttachmentSets and (another 2 textures) point to sandy_units/en_lmail_hmail/textures, is it because that these texture files shouldn't be in the attachment folder? (I put them there and edited the path to go there because the previous Templar unit files went there while the Crusader unit path did not have an attachment folder path.
    i tried writing the path in bm too a few times in the past, it didnt work even ONCE, always crash, ever since i only use copy/paste, reason why i said you should too

dont do that, even if it makes more sense to arrange things a certain way it's better to leave them the way the modder set them up, dont move any files here or there, just put back the files where the original paths are saying they should be, well you dont necesarily have to go sort through hundreds of files, just go back to using the original paths in bm then make sure the files that bm is going to look for are where they are supposed to be

you can post the bm and edu but i dont think it will be of any use

I tried doing that too, leaving the original path of the templars in the bm but just editing to which texture they point to.

example. 59 unit_models/bc_units/textures/koj_knights_templar_A.texture changed to 59 unit_models/bc_units/textures/just_an_example.texture

Also of course i put the textures in the right folders (meshes too), that still crashes with an unspecified error, maybe it is just the Templars that is causing the issue, as i said the Hospitallers work just fine, i did the same thing for both of them.

I also tried leaving the bm lines alone and not editing anything but only renaming the files i took from SSHIP (textures and meshes of the Crusaders) to what the bm lines point to, this worked for both units but it overwrote previous textures and meshes which then caused 3-4 units to become textureless/silver surfers.