Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jewish professor pretended to be black - and now apologizes.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Jewish professor pretended to be black - and now apologizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    The fact that you get to use the race card to gain advantage in modern "academia" is more of a comment on academia itself, rather then woman that was faking her racial background. Something is wrong with academia if you get an advantage from being of specific race.
    That's racist! It's only wrong if you get advantage from being white, not for being anything else! <=== Sarcasm.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Verdict: I am not convinced, my questions are not answered and I consider the arguments about inheriting your race complete rubbish.
    That's not really surprising tbh. I suppose you'll have to raise the matter on twitter then.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

That's racist! It's only wrong if you get advantage from being white, not for being anything else! <=== Sarcasm.
    Indeed. Sadly, sarcasm aside, it will take US generations to rebuild its academia. Imagine how many unqualified people gained positions of authority there because of such idiotic principles.

Indeed. Sadly, sarcasm aside, it will take US generations to rebuild its academia. Imagine how many unqualified people gained positions of authority there because of such idiotic principles.

To be fair, while it is a low point for USA academia, the USA unis are still a powerhouse when it comes to innovation and cutting edge technology etc etc.

It is just that a few buildings next to brilliant minds analyzing the cosmos or working to solve the world's problems or leading technological developments... are buildings full with people that think gender studies, African culture studies and other such crap are useful passtimes. Well, it's not my taxes that pay them and it's not my tuition being spent there. If American parents want to pay through the nose for their kids to get brainwashed and a useless degree, so be it.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

It is just that a few buildings next to brilliant minds analyzing the cosmos or working to solve the world's problems or leading technological developments... are buildings full with people that think gender studies, African culture studies and other such crap are useful passtimes. Well, it's not my taxes that pay them and it's not my tuition being spent there. If American parents want to pay through the nose for their kids to get brainwashed and a useless degree, so be it.
    Universities are more than STEM. As much as I love engineering. My university is larger than my college. Universities are sets of colleges on this side of the ocean.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

To be fair, while it is a low point for USA academia, the USA unis are still a powerhouse when it comes to innovation and cutting edge technology etc etc.

That's also due to influx of people from countries where academia is still functioning. STEM is still hanging along, but there is already a trend to force the neo-marxist gobbledygook in STEM courses as well. Say goodbye to being cutting edge, say hello to neo-Lysenkoism.

I don’t think you’ve seen real STEM departments.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/black...211534969.html

The gist: A White Jewish woman, history professor and political activist, pretended to be black and has now revealed the falsehood and apologized. Reactions are ... not good.

There are a few things to unpack here:
    - While (I think) it's undeniable there's systemic racism in USA when it comes to the police, in academia it's a bonus to be black. That's why Jessica A. Krug lied about it. Much easier to succeed as professor of African American History if you pretend to be black. There would be fewer voices that you didn't put enough work in your published papers and research if you're black and a woman (whether it is true or not there are always naysayers) because some on the other side would be afraid to make such allegations in order to not be labeled racists or misogynists. Etc.

- Sure, she was a fraud. So... not that big of a deal really. I can understand academics being pissed off because she cut the line taking advantage of the flawed system that rewards someone for being born with black skin and female genitals. I can understand people that knew her and trusted her being shocked and dismayed by that deception.

I don't understand why it is considered that bad by ordinary black people she probably never even met, let alone sideline.
    I don't understand her own words of "doing so is the very epitome of violence, of thievery and appropriation, of the myriad ways in which non-Black people continue to use and abuse Black identities and cultures"

No, it's not. Shooting a black man on the street because he's running is violence, not the epitome of what black people had to suffer, but it is. Taking every natural resource you can grab from the Caribbean is thievery.
    Pretending to be black? It's just cutting the line more or less like Elizabeth Warren did.

How does a professor pretending to be black harm a random black person that never met her?

- I don't understand why it is politically correct to accept that person's gender is a social construct, that someone born with male genitalia and XY chromosomes should be treated as a woman if that person says so... but lo and behold! If you say you're black while you're white, then you're a monster. Especially towards black people.
    The woman has mental issues but somehow, when it comes to race, that's not enough to give her a pass.
    And yet, "Caribbean Black culture" is a social construct by definition of being a specific culture!

- According to someone proclaiming to be a friends of her in twitter, she didn't speak up because her guilt became unbearable, but because she was found out and would soon be exposed.
    I am not sure whether this is the case but it seems the most plausible explanation.

- "I don’t believe that any anti-Black life has inherent value."
    Give me a break... Aside of "this sounds like BS crap that progressives shout, especially white ones" and "Doesn't that sound like black supremacy? Try changing black with white and see how it sounds" there's also the issue that the "inherent value" of a life cannot be distilled to any single issue and you cannot say that any sentient life is devoid of value else you enable the killing of perceived racists.

- She was an associate professor with three publications! No, seriously, RG also has just those 3 papers!
    Her ratings with the students are a bit iffy too...
    Hey, if she wants to be black she can be black. If a guy wants to be a girl, he can be a girl. If someone believes they're a space alien, they can be a space alien. You guys need to get with the times.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

That's also due to influx of people from countries where academia is still functioning. STEM is still hanging along, but there is already a trend to force the neo-marxist gobbledygook in STEM courses as well. Say goodbye to being cutting edge, say hello to neo-Lysenkoism.
    Err yes you have not gotten STEM Degree or taught a STEM course have you? Or if you you what still massively offended of 3 credits in a humanities class.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Err yes you have not gotten STEM Degree or taught a STEM course have you? Or if you you what still massively offended of 3 credits in a humanities class.
    I'm not entirely sure how what you said has anything to do with post you quoted. Are you saying irrational egalitarian bias aren't detrimental to fields that are literally based on logic and reason? Because we have example of how Soviet science was sabotaged by Soviet government itself forcing anti-scientific marxist ideology into science, especially in fields like cybernetics and genetics.

I'm not entirely sure how what you said has anything to do with post you quoted. Are you saying irrational egalitarian bias aren't detrimental to fields that are literally based on logic and reason? Because we have example of how Soviet science was sabotaged by Soviet government itself forcing anti-scientific marxist ideology into science, especially in fields like cybernetics and genetics.
    You know it's the religious right that's against genetic research of any futuristic value?
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    You know it's the religious right that's against genetic research of any futuristic value?
    Whataboutism.

Whataboutism.
    Again, I'm not sure you've been at a place that does actual research and conducts actual classes for actual STEM degrees. All you're doing is whining.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Again, I'm not sure you've been at a place that does actual research and conducts actual classes for actual STEM degrees. All you're doing is whining.
    Ad hominem. Try and come up with response that actually addresses the post itself.

Ad hominem. Try and come up with response that actually addresses the post itself.
    You have no post.

Math and Engineering will never ever be y = black + feminism + mx + b. It will only ever be y = mx + b. Your grade will come down to whether you can do the math and engineering. Period.

They will try to attract what, to their fields are minorities, as different life experiences bring forth different ideas for the creative aspects of the field. But it will always come down to whether the work is done successfully. I say this as a person with 3 majors and 13 years experience. If you can't piece this together from the very nature of what adding in random-ass variables to the work does, then you do not know what the hell STEM is.

Now if you can't get any more specific than the word "neo-marxist" with no specific example of what the hell is being done where you are going to have considered to have conceded the argument here and now.
    Last edited by Gaidin; September 12, 2020 at 03:57 PM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

You have no post.

Math and Engineering will never ever be y = black + feminism + mx + b. It will only ever be y = mx + b. Your grade will come down to whether you can do the math and engineering. Period.

They will try to attract what, to their fields are minorities, as different life experiences bring forth different ideas for the creative aspects of the field. But it will always come down to whether the work is done successfully. I say this as a person with 3 majors and 13 years experience. If you can't piece this together from the very nature of what adding in random-ass variables to the work does, then you do not know what the hell STEM is.
    Again, we have example of Soviet STEM fields based on logic and reason being destroyed by irrational egalitarian ideology forced by Soviet government. We now observe similar process in American academia. Enjoy losing (ironically probably to Russia) competitive edge for the foreseeable future.

Again, we have example of Soviet STEM fields based on logic and reason being destroyed by irrational egalitarian ideology forced by Soviet government. We now observe similar process in American academia. Enjoy losing (ironically probably to Russia) competitive edge for the foreseeable future.
    If you can not point out what university is doing what where, then you have no point.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

You have no post.

Now if you can't get any more specific than the word "neo-marxist" with no specific example of what the hell is being done where you are going to have considered to have conceded the argument here and now.
    I'll admit that used to be a given, but sadly even that sacred kernel has started to crack:

https://meaww.com/brooklyn-new-york-...ist-patriarchy

If you can not point out what university is doing what where, then you have no point.
    Another deflection. Why is it so hard to acknowledge that neo-Lysenkoism is bad for American academia?

You have no post.

Unfortunately, from what my friends that work in USA unis tell me, that is certainly not the case. A friend of mine that used to do TA (teaching Assistant) in Stevenson (or something similar) in NYC told me that they are always careful to not grade badly black female students, even if they do poorly. A black lesbian went to the professor to complain that my friend didn't give her "a second chance" after she missed a deadline and the professor told my friend to "give her at least B" in her new paper to avoid the scandal. And that's just one example.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast