Thread: Western Roman Empire

Default Western Roman Empire

Being somewhat bored I've decided to dip my toes once more into the breach and try to save and enhance the Roman Empire. (I've had my butt handed to me on a pewter platter five or six times already since the game was released.)

Through turn 18 I'm at war with the usual 10 to 15 barbarian factions. I retreated or abandoned about 20 of the outlying provinces, reducing the buildings to gain early coin. I've stabilized a core area, and have had unexpected success with settlement and city garrisons when defending. In fact in Africa, I'm on the attack. I hope to stabilize that area before the attacks on Spain begin. Limited success elsewhere though, as can be expected. Trying to get things up to speed before the Mongols and the Germanic factions start throwing multiple armies my way.

Looking for ideas on how to proceed and focus. Income is steady and "very" slowly climbing, in spite of having to rebuild razed settlements.

Thoughts?
    "The trouble with facts is that there are so many of them." - Samuel McChord Crothers

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Western Roman Empire

Retreating and abandoning outer provinces seems inevitable. I'm afraid that I'm more in a position of asking for advice than offering it.

I'm impressed that you've had success when defending with garrisons. How did you do that - when I played the early part of the campaign as Western Rome, my early garrisons had no chance. Are you constructing buildings for larger garrisons? What tactics work for you with defending with garrisons?