Thread: Monitor Flickering Issue

Default Monitor Flickering Issue

Hi,

I'm having this issue with a new monitor that I've got - the PIXIO PX275H - it is a 1440p monitor with an advertised refresh rate of 95hz.

The monitor works fine when it is set to 60hz but when you adjust the refresh rate in windows to the max advertised speed I get flickering. This essentially is where the whole screen goes black and then comes back on again, it doesn't do it at 60hz but anything above that and the issues start. I am using a brand new display port cable and I have updated my GPU drivers (HD7970) and all windows updates are done.

Also, when I'm in a game it doesn't seem to flicker when set at the maximum resolution (2560x1440p) but if I want to run a game in 1080p it doesn't like it at all and starts to flicker again.

Interestingly in the device manager it is showing "Generic PnP Monitor", not the make/model number under the monitors section. I've looked into this and tried a few 'fixes' but none seem to work for me.

This is also a recently built PC - with the exception of the GPU as I've reused the one from my previous build as I wanted to wait until the new AMD/NVIDIA cards come out this year before I decide which to buy.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm not sure what else to do and I'm considering sending the monitor back - that said, I'm not sure whether it is my monitor, GPU or the display port cable.
    Last edited by JRR; August 22, 2020 at 03:22 PM.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Monitor Flickering Issue

I'm not a screen expert, youd want our resident expert on screens. However it sounds to me that you have a faulty monitor which cannot handle the higher frequency. It doesnt sound like a software problem to me, rather one people who overclock their monitors encounter.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

What sort of graphics card do you have? I had a similar issue with a brand new monitor. If you're using an Nvidia card, it could also be the power management settings. To change these do the following.

1. Open the NVIDIA Control Panel.
    2. Under 3D Settings, click Manage 3D settings.
    3. Under Global Settings, select the Basic profile.
    4. In the list of Settings, click Power management mode, and then select Prefer consistent performance or Prefer maximum performance.

See if changing these over helps!

Quote Originally Posted by isa0005 View Post
    What sort of graphics card do you have? I had a similar issue with a brand new monitor. If you're using an Nvidia card, it could also be the power management settings. To change these do the following.

1. Open the NVIDIA Control Panel.
    2. Under 3D Settings, click Manage 3D settings.
    3. Under Global Settings, select the Basic profile.
    4. In the list of Settings, click Power management mode, and then select Prefer consistent performance or Prefer maximum performance.

See if changing these over helps!

I have an old AMD HD7970. I also noticed that there was one dead pixel in the monitor, that combined with this issue and the nonsense menu (the monitor would go to sleep before allowing you to change display mode (if you were using an HDMI input but wanted to switch to your display port you couldn't do it without turning the HDMI device on then switching input to the DP. This happened even when on auto detect input - infuriating) I'm sending it back for a full refund. I'll probably stick with my older monitor for the time being and when I've decided on my new GPU I'll probably look to upgrade the monitor at that point.

Experience indicates it's usually cables not properly connected; I don't know which idiot designed HDMI ones, though it's easy to pick them up cheap and replace the ones I snap off the head.

Buying second hand means you usually get what you pay for (actually more, which is the point of it), plus you have redundancy to compare if something appears to not work.

Other causes could be the connections themselves, driver issues or lack of requisite horsepower; unless it's a very old monitor or some generic television set, Windows Ten will identify the hardware. As an extreme measure, you'd attach everything and reinstall Windows.

Personally, not having invested much either financially or emotionally in monitors, they either work to my satisfaction or they don't; however, considering how important visualization is, you have to pick the set up that will make you feel comfortable. I recall watching Arrow and envying their large monitors, and then my brother got a forty three inch Acer for his desk, and I thought he sat too close to it.

I don't do competitive gaming, so squeezing out frame rates isn't a priority for me, hence older monitors tend to work out for me; once you start paying out large sums, you better have a very clear idea what your expectations are. Except for kids, they live to disappoint you.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.