Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Wainriders Official Announcement and Faction Previews

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Wainriders Official Announcement and Faction Previews

Hey mate, really appreciate the interest and all the questions (from yourself and all the others) but just want to point out if we haven't revealed a detail yet there's usually a good reason for that. We don't want to overpromise, or to give misleading information about something should we change our minds as we consider all the factors (happens a lot ). As I mentioned above, the campaign is very WIP at this time.

Now, all that said, I'll do my best to answer your questions this one time . Just bear in mind that everything I say might be wrong by the time the mod is released.

1. The unit is not currently in any rosters. Lorewise, we conceived of it as a Fourth Age invention, and gameplay wise it has balance and roster implications (being by far the best choice for recruitment where it was available).

2. They will certainly not form part of any of the Dwarven factions.

3. Somewhere in the Anduin Vales, definitely.

4. Yes

5. Yes

6. We're not going to remove work that has already been done in DoM but as for new ones: absolutely not.
    Last edited by webba84; November 05, 2020 at 09:02 PM.

A couple of videos for the thread: League of the North in action - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgCOlL8lnCo

And, for those who want Gondor to get its moment in the spotlight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN1MgMsLzUg
    Last edited by CountMRVHS; November 06, 2020 at 03:57 PM.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    A couple of videos for the thread: League of the North in action - https://studio.youtube.com/video/IgCOlL8lnCo/edit

And, for those who want Gondor to get its moment in the spotlight: https://studio.youtube.com/video/KN1MgMsLzUg/edit
    Hi Count the links are not opening laddie..I'm ok though because I'm subscribed to your channel
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Thanks, Saul - must have been in the 'studio' section when I copied the links - should work now!
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Can confirm the video is up, and I've put it up on moddb as well as per usual.

intel's Avatar Protector Domesticus

This mod looks great. Haven't played FATW in ages - I might just come back to playing it!

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by webba84 View Post
    Hey mate, really appreciate the interest and all the questions (from yourself and all the others) but just want to point out if we haven't revealed a detail yet there's usually a good reason for that. We don't want to overpromise, or to give misleading information about something should we change our minds as we consider all the factors (happens a lot ). As I mentioned above, the campaign is very WIP at this time.

Now, all that said, I'll do my best to answer your questions this one time . Just bear in mind that everything I say might be wrong by the time the mod is released.

1. The unit is not currently in any rosters. Lorewise, we conceived of it as a Fourth Age invention, and gameplay wise it has balance and roster implications (being by far the best choice for recruitment where it was available).

2. They will certainly not form part of any of the Dwarven factions.

3. Somewhere in the Anduin Vales, definitely.

4. Yes

5. Yes

6. We're not going to remove work that has already been done in DoM but as for new ones: absolutely not.
    Hey Webba84,

thank you very much for your answers, I appreciate it and promise I would not enquire any further 😉

With regards to the wain bows, I have expected that the balance factor may have been involved in deciding whether they will appear in the rosters of this mod. They are definitely very powerful weapon, maybe too powerful for game balance sake (especially should they became too easily available).

With regard to Ered Luin, you answer still gives a room for speculation about territory being part of a non-Dwarven (Elven?) faction… Just thinking, not saying this is what you wanted to imply😊 That would be interesting indeed to have both elven and dwarven as a part of the same faction although I am not sure how much would lore accurate would that be.

Looking forward for the next previews (yes the vidoes are working now, very nice!).

webba84's Avatar Artifex

To be clear, I'm joking about not answering any more questions - I just can't promise the answers will be satisfying, or even accurate.

But I really appreciate your point on Ered Luin - this is a case where a little more information will help avoid any misconceptions. I can state clearly that there won't be any elven and dwarven combined faction. The dwarven presence in the region will be visible in the mod, but in a way that is appropriate to peripheral and small scale presence of Dwarves in the region throughout the entire period. There's really nothing (that we have yet found, anyway) which shows any dwarves in the Ered Luin playing any sort of role in the great events of the time - not the fight against Angmar, or the exile of Durin's Folk, and certainly not anything further south or east of that.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Tribes of the Harad

The South is a land of many tribes, from the people of the plains and light forests who hunt the mighty Mumakil to the folk of the inland deserts and rocky hills. From the coastal strongholds of the Men of the West to the uncertain borders of Khand in the East range a host of peoples whose might is gathering.

North lies the Black Land – in the stories of the tribes, still a memory of flame and dreadful power. More terrible of late have been tales from the West, whence the Sea-kings came in years past, to dominate the coast, take captives, and break the power of the tribes. Long has lived the feud between Gondor and the Men of the South.

But now, rumour comes that the watches on the Haven of Umbar are beginning to fail, as Gondor’s soldiers sail north to fight some new foe. Corsairs and rebels are poised to pluck that prize, but for the first time in centuries the Tribes of the Harad have begun to unite, and to realize their own strength. There may be a chance to strike decisively against that foe, to push the Men of the West back into the Sea – and to see the South steer its own fate.

Tier 1

Haradwaith Tribesmen
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Haradwaith Tribesmen are eager young warriors, emboldened by the glyphs painted on their bodies and encouraged by their numbers. Fighting in desert terrain they will have some advantage over heavier and slower troops who may tire more easily, but if they cannot quickly cut down their foe they may begin to take heavy losses. Their best defense is a light shield and their speed, so they are most effective when outflanking the enemy or when rushing skirmishers or other light troops.

Desert Skirmishers

From behind large though light wicker shields, the Desert Skirmishers throw iron-tipped javelins towards their foes. They are most often used to thin the ranks of lightly armoured or slow foes, from whom they can safely retreat before coming under a retaliatory attack. Their lonely, desolate upbringing lends these men a hardiness rare even in the Haradrian army, and despite their lack of armour they can be used in melee combat against similarly undertrained foes. Lacking the steadfastness that military discipline instils, however, the Skirmishers will not hold their ground for long against superior enemies.

Tier 2

Southron Spears

These lightly armoured warriors are equipped with a wooden shield and spear and are often trusted to guard the flanks of a battle line. Many of these men have received some training, whether as caravan guards or as a militia to protect against the constant inter-tribal raids of the wild southern deserts, but they are not elites, and their middling status is reflected in their serviceable but unremarkable gear. Though their defensive line may be broken by professionals or champions - especially infantry - Southron Spears provide a chieftain with a reliable counter to the cavalry that is all too common in the armies of Khand or the Harad. Used alongside fiercer, more aggressive warriors, under good leadership these spearmen can be quite effective.

Redsand Archers

These desert bowmen are skilled at hiding and fighting in the dunes and scrubs of Harad's wastes. They wear light clothes to keep themselves cool, but also for speed; the heat and their need for free movement prohibits the wearing of armour, leaving speed their only defence. They are poor fighters should they enter melee combat, having only a short knife with which to defend themselves. These archers learn their trade by necessity in the scorching heat of the desert, where it is impossible to chase down prey for long periods. Thus, they can only be recruited in desert areas of Harad.

Haradwaith Riders

With glyphs and symbols painted in crimson upon their chests and riding on black steeds, the Haradwaith Riders cut an imposing figure in the eyes of their enemies. Their warpaint offers scant protection from an iron-tipped arrow, however, no matter how chilling its appearance. The scimitar and shield favoured by many Haradrian soldiers serve these horsemen well enough in battle, where they are most suited to cutting down other light riders or poorly armed infantry. These riders have bravery and enthusiasm in abundance, coming from the young and impetuous section of the Haradrian youth, although this is tempered somewhat by their inexperience and lack of training.

Tier 3

Spears of the Serpent

The Spears of the Serpent are highly disciplined and proud, equipped with quality scale armour and large shields. As some of the heavier troops available to a tribal leader of the Harad, they can prove a stubborn force for infantry and riders alike, and are a match even for the heavy cavalry of other peoples. As they are vulnerable to flank attacks, they should be supported by lighter and faster troops, while they can form a solid battle-line against the foe.

Horsemen of the Harad

Clad in dazzling scale armour, these riders are some of the most skilled warriors of their tribe. Able to ride in close to an enemy formation, pepper the foe with javelins, and make a quick withdrawal, they are renowned for their daring. Horsemen of the Harad are armed with a sword and shield to complement their defenses, and do not shy from combat against skirmishers or lighter troops. Their versatility makes them highly esteemed by their commanders.

Tier 4

Temple Guard

In canyons and cliffsides hidden in the rocky deserts of the South stand temples, carved into the living stone and protected by wary and battle-hardened guardians. To whom the rites inside are offered is known by few, but tribal chieftains who desire the service of these grim and loyal men can expect to pay a price both in gold and in respect. The bronze and gold-inlaid arms and armour of these elite warriors are worth much – and so too is the skill of the warriors themselves. They are expert shots with their bone-tipped bows, and wield fine axes that are the envy of the common troops. On campaign they are stern and dependable troops, often deployed at the rear of a host to safely shoot down foes from behind the battle-line and throw themselves into the fray when the moment is right.

Redsand Cavalry

Redsand Cavalry are swift and canny horsemen, experienced hunters and raiders of the desert. Armed with bow and spear, they can range far ahead of their host to harry approaching enemies, or skirt the flanks of a battle-line to prepare for a sudden and decisive charge. While they wear some light armour, these riders lack a shield and are not likely to endure close combat unless they can quickly rout the foe. When protected from enemy archers and heavy infantry, they can be a troublesome and surprisingly hard-hitting opponent.

Desert Guard (bodyguard unit)

Horses are a boon to those living in the harsh desert, as they can allow men to cover long distances quickly and take their enemies by surprise. But apart from the bandits who raid this unsettled region, horses are owned only by the wealthiest tribal leaders: the fodder and water required to keep them alive and healthy is expensive indeed. The Desert Guard of Harad are therefore more than just a symbol of military strength – they are a testament in muscle, bone, and steel to his ability to acquire wealth and hold power. Protected, man and horse, with bronze armour and wielding razor-sharp swords and long spears from the saddle, these warriors owe their livelihoods to the favour of their lord, and will give those lives in repayment - but only after a fight.

Special Units

Champions of the Harad

From the hot lands of the Far South there come huge men, oft likened to half-trolls in stature, with white eyes and red tongues. They wield great curved blades, after the fashion of the Haradrim save their size. Even the strongest of men would struggle to wield these huge weapons, let alone swing them with such ferocity as do these Men of Far Harad. Coming from the oppressive heat of Far Harad these warriors wear little armour and little of anything else, allowing them better freedom to swing their weapons. Enemies would best not take too much comfort from this lack of protection, however: the sheer size and muscle of these mighty champions allows them to take many wounds before they are finally brought down - and usually at the expense of no few foes.

Umbar Guard

Elite protectors of the royal buildings of the Havens of Umbar, the Guard are the finest infantry soldiers in Harad. They are equipped with bronze scaled armour, and helmets with high cheekguards that shroud their faces in dark shadow. Their finely crafted scale and tall helms are an easily visible mark of their elite status and prowess in battle. The wicked maces and strong shields of the Umbar Guard make them highly capable and flexible soldiers, versatile heavy infantry that is otherwise a rarity in the hot and humid climes of the south. Men do not rise to lofty positions in the Haradrian army without an unfailing loyalty and obedience, and these men will do whatever their commander deigns.

Black Númenóreans

Descendants of Men of the West who became ensnared by the lies of Sauron, these dangerous warriors possess great influence in the Harad among those who worship the darkness. Though many centuries have passed since the fall of Númenor, there are still those in Umbar and across the South who remember with pride the power and dominion of the King's Men. The Black Númenóreans may have since dwindled but they remain a skilled and powerful people, capable of producing warriors every bit the equal of the hated faithful of Gondor and Arnor. Clad in black mail and wielding straight two-handed swords, the Black Númenóreans serve as heavily armed elite troops, scorning the native desert-warriors' light armour and feeble weapons and cursing their enemies as they hack them into the sand.

Southron Skirmishers

These Southern warriors are lean and fast, toughened by the unforgiving lands of the far south. They wear very little armour – and only scant clothing – to compensate for the overbearing heat of their homelands, but find that the best protection, apart from their large shield, is speed. Their skills at stealth and ambush - honed over many seasons of hunting with the thrown javelin - are welcomed by any wise Chieftain of the Harad. A full volley is sufficient to thin the ranks of an approaching enemy and they are especially familiar with how to take a Mûmak down should the need arise. Young men like these seldom enjoy the luxury of a comfortable life; they are more often than not found hunting in the open scrub of Harad, where they learn how to best utilise the long grasses to shelter them from unfriendly eyes.

Mûmakil

Save only for the Eagles these beasts are unrivalled in their size as well as their strength. Riding in towers atop the backs of the Mûmakil, javelin throwers hurl their near-limitless supply of shafts into an enemy often already filled with terror. The Mûmakil utterly ruin an enemy's morale though they themselves are hard to control as a means of attack. These beasts fear too much arrow fire, and are especially susceptible to thrown spears at closer range; they are given to running amok if panicked and should they do so then the most skilled commander will not be able to bring them back under his control.

Disclaimer: This is not an exhaustive list! All rosters are a work in progress and unit list may not be complete or finalized; appearance and description may change in the final release.

Interesting. So it looks like you're retaining the four faction dynamic of the south as in DoM? In DoM, it's Harondor, Harad, Far Harad, Khand. Here in Wainriders it's looking like, Gondor, Umbar, Harad, Khand.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

You got it

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Another great preview! I like the new Harad roster a lot.It feels more skirmish oriented than the Harad roster in FATW especially with addition of Redsand Cavalry and javelin armed Horsmen of Harad and also by removing of some heavy cavalry and heavy infantry units (e.g. Scarlet Shields, Harad Swordsmen,..).

Btw. Do I got it correctly that Temple Guard is combined Archer-Axemen unit (I have noticed quivers)?

webba84's Avatar Artifex

You do indeed have it correctly - elite archer-axemen. I've just realized that we might have something of a subconscious obsession with elite ranged-2 handed weapon units - have added quite a lot to Wainriders! There's one in the next roster preview too

*counts fingers*

10. That's 10 factions so far.

So... eight more to go for the campaign factions.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

In case you're worried about running out of fingers I have been keeping track of all the previews so far in the OP . Can't believe we've shown more than half already!

Remaining factions I can think of off the top of my head: Arthedain
    Angmar
    High Elves
    Avari
    Northmen
    Great Rhun
    Orcish faction

Might Angmar be up next?

Or the High Elves?

Last edited by Widowmaker94; November 13, 2020 at 07:45 PM.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

We're saving the ones people really want to see for last, you know

If I'm not mistaken, you have not previewed :
    - Arthedain
    - Lindon
    - Avari
    - Great Rhûn
    - Angmar
    - Northmen
    - Orcish Tribes
    - Eastern something with a bit of dwarves influence

As I'd like very much to see Angmar, Arthedain, Great Rhûn and the eastern something, I'm going to bet that next preview will be the Orcs

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Ooh, your guess is very close! But actually the next faction preview is:

Avari

Of the Elves who refused the journey into the West there are many kindreds, some as sundered from each other as they are from the Eldar, living in isolation from the other folk of Middle-earth, lovers of starlight and untamed lands.

But of late the Avari dwelling in the forests about the Sea of Rhun have had reason to watch their neighbours warily. In the plains beyond their borders, dust rises from the hooves of cavalry and the wheels of chariots; the light of the Sun glints red on helms and spear-points; the distant airs shudder with the horns of war.

Not like their kin in the West do the Avari march to battle under proud banners, leading hosts clad in mail. Theirs is not a history of kings and conquest. But the time may draw near when they must gather in arms to protect their lands.

And maybe more. For, if they are not to fade into the fastnesses of the woods and hills, becoming in their turn a hunted and vanishing people, why should the Avari not do as the proud Sindarin princes of long ago, and make realms of their own?

Tier 1

Avari Spears

Among the Elves who remained in the East of Middle-earth, the spear is still one of the most widespread weapons: easy to craft from materials readily found in the forest, it is of use both on the hunt and when defending their dwindling territories. Companies of Avari Spears are often assembled when a foe threatens more than mere trespass and must be met in the field. Protected by a light shield, they are quick and agile fighters who can stand in a battle-line and mount a good defense against enemy riders or light troops, but determined and aggressive warriors may overwhelm them.

Avari Skirmishers

These light warriors rely only on a shield – and their speed – for protection, but when deployed in hiding amongst the trees or skirmishing with heavier, slower troops they can cause great damage to a foe. For all their swiftness of foot, they cannot outrace cavalry, so should be protected by better-armed fighters, especially in open terrain. A spear throw from these hardy Elves can bring down even a heavily armoured soldier, but when they have cast all their missiles their axes are best brought to bear against light infantry.

Tier 2

Avari Swords

Wielding inward-curved blades and equipped with a shield and light helmet, the Avari Swords are armed solely for melee – though they depend more on agility than on armour for defense. Companies of these Elves are called to defend their forested homelands, or to campaign against a threatening foe, and in battle they serve well as troops of the line, able to hold off a charge of infantry or surge forward in a swift and decisive attack. They may not hold for long against cavalry, especially in open terrain, so should be protected by spearmen or riders.

Avari Bows

Patient stalkers of game – or of trespassers to their native forests – Avari Bows are as deadly in open battle as they are in ambush. While protected from a charging enemy, these Elven archers can bring their accuracy to bear at great range, devastating foes who must force their way through a hail of arrows. Their long thrusting spears make them stubborn opponents in melee despite their lack of armour, and make them dangerous targets for enemy riders.

Tier 3

Avari Warriors

Though the Avari are typically poor in metal, their best warriors are clad in scale and helmets to protect them in battle – for, in addition to being fine archers, these companies bear long, curved blades to wield in melee. Skilled like all of their people in stealth, Avari Warriors are fearsome when spearheading a charge, but too reckless an attack can leave them cut off from their host and vulnerable. They are most effective on the flanks or at the rear of a battle-line, supported by other troops.

Avari Riders

The Avari have no tradition of heavy cavalry, but they are naturally gifted with horses, and between their forested territories in the East there are many broad plains where the beasts may be found wild. Herded and carefully tended by the Elves, they make quick and sensitive mounts, bearing their riders swiftly through plain and copse to hunt or scout for their people. In battle, the Avari Riders are adept light cavalry, throwing keen javelins before closing in to fight with axes. Their shields and leather helmets offer some protection, but when entering the fray the riders must choose their moment carefully, as they are not otherwise armed.

Avari Heroes (Bodyguard Unit)

The companions of an Avari lord are the best-armed warriors in his host. Wearing helms and scale armour, they display the finest gear to be found among a people who have had many lifetimes of Men to perfect their craft. Avari Heroes are daring and disciplined riders, who can thunder into range, shoot down their foe, and wheel away to evade pursuit – or charge into the enemy with their long, scything blades. Versatile and deadly warriors, they are utterly loyal to their lord.

Special Units

Avari Wandering Company

These wary Elves live much like their forebears have since the Elder Days – moving from place to place, avoiding other folk, and dwelling for the most part in the wilderness. Skilled hunters, they are expert with the spear, whether thrown or thrust, but going only lightly armed they prefer to avoid open battle. An Elven chieftain may find such companies useful, as their woodcraft and hardiness allows them to spring deadly ambushes or strike suddenly at an enemy’s unprotected flank.

Notes: A small roster, but packing a lot of punch and very fun to play - proper glass cannon stuff! They'll also have less restricted recruitment areas than the western elven factions.

Disclaimer: This is not an exhaustive list! All rosters are a work in progress and unit list may not be complete or finalized; appearance and description may change in the final release. Special units previewed do not represent the entirety of factional mercenary and AOR units available to any given faction.
    Last edited by webba84; November 15, 2020 at 04:15 AM.

Aye, I was quite wrong but I don't care because I really like this preview!

I'm getting strong Thracians vibes from it too, which I do not dislike