Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Wainriders Official Announcement and Faction Previews

Default Re: Wainriders Official Announcement and Faction Previews

Close, Deathshade!

There's no "Dorwinion" faction, though the Avari will be starting off in the neighborhood. So that's the Avari symbol.

Swap Western Horde and the Eastern Horde (which we're calling "Great Rhun").

The Orcish Tribes will have what you thought was the "Mordor" symbol (the mountain there is a reference to Gundabad IIRC).

There's not a straight-up Orocarni faction as such, but the faction represented by that ram's head symbol will have some Eastern Dwarf influence in its ranks.

And instead of the Blue Mountains, the last symbol is for a mostly Dwarven faction centered in the North, around the Iron Hills and Erebor.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

They look more overwrought than I like (Not really keeping at all with the R:TW type of faction symbol. Aesthetically, or with DoM in terms of design), and the color schemes for a few aren't to my taste but they clearly had a lot of work put into them and I respect the hell out of the dude that made them for the clear talent involved in this.

The battle flags look lovely tho. Aside from the red and white (????) Arthedain.

I assume the smaller flags next to the shields are the battle flags, I mean.

Edit: I apologize. I must sound absolutely AWFUL.
    Last edited by Widowmaker94; October 15, 2020 at 08:47 AM.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

It's ok not to like something Widowmaker, we understand

I just know that as a writer when people don't like my stuff I often wonder what I did wrong, and I don't want Vhaelor to feel like that just because of my poorly communicated thoughts. I am not very articulate, y'know?

It's good work, without a doubt, even if it's not entirely my cup of tea. Is how I should have phrased it.

In any case, thanks Webba, for understanding my meaning and not being too harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Do you think this faction icon could be used for the Elves in the main mod? After all, they're de facto the Woodland Realm plus associates.
    Since I made the faction symbols I wanted to differentiate this mod from other mods while doing something a bit differently. If people wish to do what you suggest: go right ahead. Who am I to spoil your fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafthero View Post
    Very nice and unique symbols
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Widowmaker94 View Post
    I respect the hell out of the dude that made them for the clear talent involved in this.

The battle flags look lovely tho. Aside from the red and white (????) Arthedain.

I assume the smaller flags next to the shields are the battle flags, I mean.

Edit: I apologize. I must sound absolutely AWFUL.
    Thanks for the kind words. Yes those are the "battle banners/standards/flags" Sort of what the Oriflamme used to be for the early frankish kingdom/France. When designing these I wanted to specifically to differentiate the symbols from every other mod in the book because (to me) they all look the same and one of my chief concerns was that I did not wish this mod to be thought of "oh, it's just a submod". There's a lot more going on in the development than just copy/pasta-ing what's in FATW.

As for Arthedain having a dash of red in its' battle banner - we have two factions of the Dúnedain that are quite similar (Gondor and Arthedain) in their culture and in-game. Having one nation being white/black and the other black/white was simply put boring. And I thought that Elendil's red scarf in the movies as well as other LotR-games you have dashes of red in the dúnedain art (looking at the Gondorian/Arthedain factions in BFME2) was a nice addition to the mix... so there it was.

Though if one looks at only being a lore purist, there is nothing describing (to my knowledge) for instance Arthedain or (for that matter) Arnor and what the flags looked like or what colours they were. Tolkien gives us vague descriptions of what the tokens of kingship were in the North (the Elendilmir and the Scepter of Andúnië) but not much beyond that. In the south, Gondor's royal token was a black flag with a white tree, seven stars about it and a high crown above it. But Gondor is literally described as a feudal kingdom with fiefs and lords being largely independent (especially the Princedom of Dol Amroth/Dor-En-Ernil) and there being a Council of Gondor to advise the Steward/King in times of need. What those fiefs used for flags and banners as well as colours nobody knows - Tolkien (to my knowledge) never described it apart from Dol Amroth and their fascination with swans.

So some artistic license is in order, as long as it is done tastefully

And no, you don't sound awful. What little ego I have can withstand criticism. And people are welcome to make submods to change the faction symbols further down the line if they want something else

/Vhaelor
    Last edited by Vhaelor; October 18, 2020 at 01:04 AM. Reason: adding my pseudonym online at the end

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Chiefdom of Khand

The lands southeast of Mordor are dry and hard, but above the stubborn grass and stony plains the skies are clear. In between dwell men who are likewise: tough and clear-eyed, ever looking to the horizon.

Raids and petty wars are common with the people of the southlands. Of late, some of these tribes of the Harad have united and grown strong, but for now their gaze seems turned to the west, toward the cities and strongholds of the tall sea-kings that are known mostly as rumour in Khand.

To the north, a mighty people has arisen, the dust of their chariots’ passing broken only by the flashes of their spear-points – but Khand is also a land of warriors and hunters. Whether these folk come as powerful allies or as would-be conquerors, the people of Khand will be ready.

The chieftains of this land know the power of the one some call Lord of the Earth – his iron-bound stronghold in the East, his promises of mastery. But in their dreams, they may hear the horn and hooves of a laughing hunter who passes over the plain like a thunderhead, then fades into the west. Whether the chieftains will bend the knee to the Power that has favoured other nations with gifts and rewarded their service with might, or choose a separate path, less certain but more free, remains to be seen.

Tier 1

Khandian Watchmen
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

These spearmen from the lower reaches of Khandian society are used on the battlefield only at need, for they do not receive the same level of training as most other soldiers in Khand; and though they are naturally swift of body, this cannot compensate for good training. Wearing some light armour, they are suitable garrison troops and will provide numbers to a Khandian host, where they may best serve fending off light cavalry or similarly poorly-armed infantry, but they will quickly flounder against superior troops.

Nomadic Riders

These lightly armed horsemen provide a swift and deadly arm to the hosts of Khand. Skilled riders of the trackless plains, they excel in the sudden charge, preferring to strike into the flank or rear of enemy formations. Although their shields and armour provide protection in melee, they are not among the heaviest of Khand's forces - but, supported by infantry who can hold the foe and archers who can thin their ranks, Nomadic Riders are capable of turning the tide of battle with a powerful charge.

Tier 2

Nomadic Axemen

The elite warriors of Khand prefer to ride to battle, but Khandian chieftains know that infantry has its uses. These aggressive warriors are sent to attack enemy infantry formations, allowing bowmen and cavalry to perform their manoeuvres unimpeded. These are not hardened veterans, but are more experienced than the watchmen provided by most towns, and they are eager to come to grips with less disciplined foes.

Steppe Archers

These hunters and vagabonds are long inured to the hardships of the open steppelands of the wild East. They travel light, wearing little armour, as turning aside a blade thrust in a confused melee is not a concern for these men most of the time - their preferred tactic is to launch a volley of arrows from their compact bows, then fall back before a foe can organise a counterattack. In this kind of battle, speed and endurance serve them better than any armour. Of course, they must be wary of the arrows of their foes, and they are particularly vulnerable to cavalry. In the open plains, if they are unable to destroy mounted foes with their arrows, these archers will be cut down with ease.

Steppe Outriders

From the plains of Khand are recruited the Steppe Outriders, mounted bowmen of some renown. They wear their hair braided into the topknot which sets them apart from other Easterling warriors and marks them as steppe-folk of Khand. They carry powerful compound bows, the design of which has been perfected by many years of horseback archery. Though they ride with no saddle, their control of their horses seems no worse for it: the mounts move as an extension of the rider, guided by the shouts of their masters. They wear little armour, so as to leave them better able to move freely on the horse, as they need as great a field of visibility as possible. Although this leaves them vulnerable in melee combat, they should have sufficient range and speed to avoid being pressed by either infantry or cavalry, and should only be used to engage an enemy at close quarters in dire need.

Tier 3

Spearmen of Khand

The men of the East are known for their cavalry, and Khand is good country for riders – but not every battle can be won with the lance or the bow. Spearmen of Khand are stalwart infantry, trained to stand in the crush of battle and hold off an assault, whether by cavalry or footmen. They are well armed for this purpose, bearing a large round shield and scale armour, and when protected at the flanks are among the most reliable soldiers of the chiefdom.

Archers of Khand

The Archers of Khand are men of admirable skill with the composite bow. They are equally skilled in the use of the spear, making them surprisingly versatile fighters, able to strike down foes from a distance or fend off those who get too close. Typically these men are minor nobles or landowners, recruited to the armies of the more powerful nobles of Khand. As men of high status they learn to respect the will of their commanders, and will follow orders to the best of their ability.

Horse-archers of Khand

These riders take to the saddle to earn experience in war and the respect of their peers. Being of the ruling class, they can afford fine lamellar armour and an iron helm, with the best quality weapons available. They carry bow and spear and use both with equal proficiency, striking down enemies at range or delivering a killing blow in a massed charge. To be seen to flee a battle without due cause would be a shameful thing indeed for these aspirational young men, and they will stay and fight until hope seems lost.

Tier 4

Warriors of Khand

These are among the finest infantry available to a chieftain of Khand, boasting quality armour and drilled in fighting in formation. Off the battlefield they make superb guards for a Khandian lord, and in war their halberds are a danger both to horse and man, making them a threat anywhere on a battlefield. Whether staving off a charge of riders or anchoring the flank of a battle-line, the Warriors of Khand are as dependable and loyal as they are versatile, holding their ground or cutting a way through a stubborn foe.

Dragonshield Riders

The Dragonshield Riders are men of fearsome skill with horse and spear. They carry a heavy lance, heaved with strong arms from the vantage offered by mounts almost as heavily armoured in lamellar as their riders. Far from the swiftest of Khand's riders, they fear little on the battlefield, and when their charge is spent they may deal crushing blows with the maces they bear. Typically these men are minor nobles or landowners; as men of high status they learn to respect the will of their leaders, and will follow orders to the best of their ability.

Dragon Guard (bodyguard unit)

The Dragon Guard defend their chieftain with bow and sword, depending on their armour - and that of their horse - to turn aside the blades and shafts of their foes. These picked companions are utterly loyal, chosen for their obedience as much as their skill, and armed with the mightiest bows of the East and the finest armour available. Whether sending unerring arrows into an enemy formation or riding down foes with their long sabres, these fearless soldiers will prove time and again that their repute and station is well-earned.

Special Units

Iron Tower Warriors

The Men of the East know the King of Kings, Lord of the Earth, has always controlled the fates of nations. Some claim he dwells in a fearsome stronghold ringed by fire and strengthened by iron. Chieftains of Khand who display appropriate reverence may be granted the services of Iron Tower Warriors: strong men encased in metal and wielding gigantic maces. Once they have unleashed their battle-cry they become grimly efficient killers, battering even well-protected foes with their brutal weapons. For all their might, they are best held back for a decisive blow, lest they spend their strength too early and be worn down by the enemy.

Khandian Merchants

The dry wastes of the East see much traffic, but they are also home to many dangers. Merchants who travel the lonely trade routes often go well-armed and horsed, adept at shooting from the saddle like many in Khand. For defense of their goods and person they wear fine lamellar armour and carry long sabres. Though their primary goal is to profit by the selling or buying of goods, they may offer their services to a lord or chieftain in need of skilled horsemen – but, being well used to negotiations, they will charge a hefty sum!

Disclaimer: This is not an exhaustive list! All rosters are a work in progress and unit list may not be complete or finalized; appearance and description may change in the final release.
    Last edited by webba84; October 19, 2020 at 10:54 PM.

Woohoo! Another preview!

Here's a look at some of these Khandian units in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws0m2H9FJUs

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Hello everyone,

great to see this new interesting is developing fastly and ambitiously. I very like the settings int his obscure times with more non-manish factions and elements available. The previews looks amazing! Just a small remark to the last one, would not be a more natural for a Khand as a steppe faction to have Archers/Outriders unit in the first tier units and a Nomadic Riders which looks far more armoured as a second tier unit? Btw. There are no Variags in Khnad yet?

Quote Originally Posted by demagogos nicator View Post
    There are no Variags in Khnad yet?
    Not to our knowledge, there's no mention of them in any materials in that period. In fact there's very little to be known as to what a Variag even is. The best interpretation is that Variag is of the same root (historically IRL) as Varangian. Meaning essentially paid mercenary soldier (the etymology of what Varangian actually means is in dispute, but the word lives on even today in modern day swedish, namely in words such as "värna" = to protect whereas Varangian is called "väring" today, Varangian guard=Väringagardet)

So uh...yeah. One of the reasons we picked this era in the Lord of the Rings is that there's not too many constraints in the lore, it's open to interpretation and thus makes for a good sandbox campaign, which is what TW games excel at.
    Last edited by Vhaelor; October 21, 2020 at 06:16 AM.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by demagogos nicator View Post
    Just a small remark to the last one, would not be a more natural for a Khand as a steppe faction to have Archers/Outriders unit in the first tier units and a Nomadic Riders which looks far more armoured as a second tier unit? Btw. There are no Variags in Khnad yet?
    Mostly balance, horse archers at tier one are generally not a good idea because of the way the ai handles recruitment. Was not such an issue in DoM because Khand was very disadvantaged on the campaign map in other ways, but the balance will be quite different here.

Rest assured those Nomad riders are not actually well armoured at all

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Chiefdom of the Angren

The Iron River, that the Elves and the Men of Gondor name Angren, flows through many lands to the Sea – hills and plains and whispering marshes. But it has its source in the arms of the mountains, near the black spike of Orthanc and the mighty ring that circles the tower. Old is that stonework, and maybe none now live who can craft its like. At the height of Gondor’s power, the fortresses at Angrenost and Aglarond guarded the northwestern borders of the kingdom, and watched the traffic along the North-South Road.

But in the Great Plague, the watches on the borders faltered. Many of the soldiers and their families removed eastward, across Calenardhon, and command of the strong-places was left in the hands of hereditary chieftains. Of the defenders of the fortresses, only a few claim descent from people of Gondor; most are folk whose forebears have dwelt in this land since before the coming of the tall Men out of the Sea.

Some call these latter Gwathuirim, people of the shadows of the hills and mountain vales. Of late, as the power of Gondor seems to wane, more and more of these folk cross the Angren, moving with their herds or seeking secure homes. Many take up arms in service of the chieftain, manning walls and patrolling lands that seem almost forgotten by the King, troubled as he is by the threat of invaders from the East. And west and north for many long leagues, the lands are unwelcome to strangers. The North-kingdom far away is rumoured to be beset by sinister powers; few riders come from that way. The people of the Enedhwaith, the Middle Wilderness, have offered little trouble in the past, but perhaps the time is right for a chieftain of the fortresses to begin to gather such folk under the banner of the Tower, to ensure that some other leader does not raise them in war against the old Numenorean defences.

While once-mighty nations groan under pressure from tireless foes, what shall the lesser folk do? To whom does a chieftain’s allegiance run – to an absent lord, or to a people without a leader?

Tier 1

Gwathuirim Militia

Gwathuirim Militia are often used as garrison troops, and usually drawn from the men of the lowlands of Calenardhon or Enedwaith. Equipped with shield, spear and little armour, they can be a threat to lightly-armed riders or troops of similar training but are unlikely to hold for long in a battle-line. Still, in some settlements they are the first line of defence and can be of some use to a hasty captain in need of a reserve force.

Gwathuirim Clansmen

Tireless skirmishers, these stealthy clansmen are equipped with some leather armour and a shield depicting the Tower of Orthanc. They prefer to strike from ambush with a cast of their javelins, then fade away, only charging into melee when their javelins are spent and their foe is distracted. Gwathuirim Clansmen hone their skills over the course of years spent hunting and living off the land; those in the service of the Tower and its chieftain are eager to prove their usefulness and earn rewards from a generous captain.

Tier 2

Gwathuirim Axemen

Drawn from the less wealthy of the Chiefdom, these are poorly armed but dangerous men wielding large axes. Wearing leather caps and some armour, they depend on outflanking their foe or carrying all before them in a wild charge. Although they are not the best trained or equipped, these men have been strengthened by labour in the fields and forests, and should not be underestimated even by well-armed soldiers.

Gwathuirim Bowmen

Swift hunters of the plains and river-banks, these bowmen go into battle with little protection but can inflict great damage on similarly lightly-armed foes. They carry only a hunting knife for close combat, so are best kept out of melee. A captain who fields many of these bowmen will be at some advantage when holding high ground or defending walls, but must depend upon heavier troops to hold off approaching attackers.

Tier 3

Tower Guards

Better trained and armed than some of the men fielded by the chieftains, Tower Guards fight after the manner of the militia of Gondor, and are similarly equipped, boasting an iron helm and mail, along with a stout shield and spear. They are most effective defending the flanks of a battle-line against cavalry or holding a defensive position in a stronghold, but supported by lighter or more aggressive troops they can hold off even superior foes for a time. Their primary charge is the defense of the Tower and Ring of Orthanc itself, but such reliable troops often see action on campaign under captains who appreciate their skill.

Gwathuirim Scouts

These agile riders are adept skirmishers, keeping away from the enemy while casting spears into their ranks. Armed with shields, they can defend themselves at need against other light cavalry, but they are best kept away from the fighting until all their javelins are spent. Charging into the flanks or rear of foes who have already committed to battle, these scouts can tip the battle in their chieftain’s favour.

Tier 4

Picked Clansmen

These staunch fighters wield axe and javelin like many warriors of the clans, but they have earned high esteem – and fine armour – through their ferocity and tenacity in battle. While they have lost none of their woodcraft, they are at home on the battlefield, where they can be trusted to hold the line or to hack into the enemy ranks. Dangerous both at range and in close combat, Picked Clansmen are a versatile and aggressive arm of the Chiefdom’s hosts.

Chieftain's Guard (bodyguard unit)

As the chosen guard of the hereditary chieftains responsible for holding the gap into Calenardhon, these men are equipped with the best armour available – mostly from old Gondorian stores or rare shipments from the south. Fully protected by well-wrought helms and mail, bearing the insignia of the Tower of Orthanc, they are an imposing sight and the hardiest defenders of their lord. Few warriors can stand against these expert swordsmen, though they should be wary of cavalry charges.

Special Units

Tharbad Watch

Armed with long spears and shields, the Tharbad Watch guard the river crossing at Tharbad and the roadways of the old North-South Road that once connected the realms of Arnor and Gondor. In addition to guarding settlements and forts, they may serve well in battle, where they can fend off riders or similarly-armed troops. The men of the Chiefdom are often trained more for attack and skirmish than holding a line of battle, so defensive-minded watchmen drilled at fighting in formation are a welcome addition to a captain’s forces.

Enedhwaith Hillmen

These fearsome and wild fighters come from the foothills of the mountains – hardy men, huge of limb, delivering crushing blows with their brutal maces. They are ill-disciplined and poorly armed, but their sudden charge may cause lesser foes to rout, and they can smash down even well-armed troops. A captain is well advised to hold back these unruly hillmen for the right moment, as in their enthusiasm, they may become exhausted and more easily cut down.

Gwathuirim Horsemen

Far from the great cities of Gondor, the chieftains of the Angren have depended upon horses mainly to bear errand-riders and messengers to and from the garrisons of the northern forts. Though horses trained for battle are few, the Gwathuirim Horsemen are an important arm in a captain’s host: sturdy spear- and sword-armed riders, bearing a shield and quality armour to protect them in melee. These strong horsemen can scatter lightly-armed foes and guard the flanks of infantry formations.

Tower Bowmen

The fortresses at Angrenost and Aglarond were seen to be crucial in the defense of Calenardhon and the lands behind, so in the early days of Gondor’s power a tradition of training troops to man the forts was established here. The Tower Bowmen are well-armed archers, strong enough to pull the powerful longbows wielded by some of Gondor’s most feared soldiers. Their mail armour and iron cap protects them both from the arrows of their foes and from the blows of melee, and they wear a sword which they can wield with some skill if pressed by a foe. But it is as archers that they are so highly valued, striking down enemies at great distance in massed volleys.

Wolfhunters

Savage, stealthy hunters of the hills and vales, these warriors go clad in wolf-skins, their bare chests and arms daubed in symbols of power and fear. Rising up suddenly from ambush to throw iron-tipped spears, or loosing a wild howl before charging a terrified foe, the reputation of these hunters is as much a weapon as the brutal long blades they wield in combat. Their skins and war-paint are poor defense against arrow or spear, however, so it is best to unleash these berserk fighters from the flank of a battle line and support them with better-armed troops.

Disclaimer: This is not an exhaustive list! All rosters are a work in progress and unit list may not be complete or finalized; appearance and description may change in the final release.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Top-3 preview so far

Once again, it is a pleasure to see your vision of Middle Earth !

I wait with great hope the Angmar preview.

We're glad you guys like it!

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Top-3 preview so far
    Glad someone else shares my unhealthy obsession with Post-Roman Britain

I really enjoy how a lot of army lists in both FATW and WR have two very different cultures melded together. Trying to wield an army that is composed mostly of trash built around a small core of expensive and more difficult to replace heavies is always fun.

Can't wait to see how the avari & orcs are gonna look like. I always liked the looks of orcs in this mod better than lotrtw & tatw.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBunnies View Post
    I really enjoy how a lot of army lists in both FATW and WR have two very different cultures melded together. Trying to wield an army that is composed mostly of trash built around a small core of expensive and more difficult to replace heavies is always fun.
    Agreed! And you'll see a good deal of that in Wainriders - the idea of factions composed of quite different populations. The Angren faction, Umbar, and several others. It's been fun thinking of that aspect of the mod, as well as getting the chance to theorize about some of the less well-known cultures.

I got the chance to put together a video of the Angren chiefdom vs the Black Forest Tribes to showcase some of these units: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYjI8rsdt9Q

I got a look at the map colors for some factions on the Discord and while I do have some quibbles for some, Arthedain's sticks out the most for me. Mostly for thematic and color coding reasons.

I know it seems probably nitpicky and dumb, but colors are important in Tolkien from what we see. And there is symbolism in them. As well, it's just... not really a pleasant color. I can fix it real easy on release for my own installation, but I figured I'd let you know my thoughts. Even if they are unwelcome, and if they are then I apologize.

I know it's drawn from the faction symbol color, but still.