Thread: What are your Warhammer 3 map/feature wishes?

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Default What are your Warhammer 3 map/feature wishes?

So with Warhammer 3's announcement probably arriving somewhere in the next few months I thought I'd open this thread to see what people want to see before those wishes are inevitably crushed by the cruel gods. As you might know I made an extremely implausible map proposal some time ago and I decided to update it as I wasn't completely content with it. Now it's even more unrealistic but either way, here it is:
    Spoiler for Massive map, open in new tab

As it wasn't clear for some on reddit last time, brown are mountains, light green forests, dark green swamps and gold deserts.

I redesigned the eastern regions, they were pretty low effort last time because they're unlikely to appear and if they do would probably look very different from what I come up with. But if you're doing it do it properly I guess. Unless it's naming stuff but hey, can't have it all. If people really want to all you have to do is look at a map of the region's real world equivalent and purposely misspell some stuff or find a goth teen (do they still exist?) and ask them to come up with some edgy names.
    The biggest change I made was Cathay, I wanted to add some steppes between the Great Maw and Cathay proper. I also added some forested highlands because it was missing from the old map and I really wanted a wilder part within Cathay. The peninsula of Ind is changed in a similar fashion, with inland jungle provinces where the Tiger Beastmen would be largely concentrated.
    In the Chaos Wastes I added a few provinces, mostly just to add Zanbaijin, which is featured in the Thamurkhan book (which I didn't read, not a lore buff and all my info comes from wiki and Warhammer maps I found).
    I also added Santa Magritta and a Wood Elf settlement to the Not-Americas.

Obviously most of this is never going to happen. The odds of the East making it at all are not high, Araby would require a rework by GW first and there are just far too many regions on the map. I'm half of a mind to make a more scaled down version but I really dislike removing stuff from my map so that might not happen.

There are some other things I'd like to discuss here like a corruption rework and settlement types but I've run out of time now so that'll have to wait.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: What are your Warhammer 3 map/feature wishes?

Map wise, your proposal would be almost perfect. If we have enough new races to populate it, and not just regions with more of the same.

In term of races, what I'd like to get

A lot, like I'd like to play them
    - Cathay
    - Kislvev
    - Araby
    - Southern Realms
    - Amazons
    - More Empire factions
    - All Brettoinia missing minor factions

Average: needed as ennemy, but I won't play them as often
    - Chaos (one race, several gods, as independant factions, or as game mechanism where you select a god and gain bonus, such as specific units)
    - Chaos Dwarves
    - Ogres
    - Dog of Wars (I'd rather see proper Tilea, Estalia and Border Princes than DoW)
    - Hung / Kurgan

Low: I'd be pleasantly surprised if we get them, but if not I can live without
    - Hobgobeliin
    - Ind
    - Nippon

In term of mechanism
    - More weather (rain, fog, snow), with game effects on speed, accuracy, visibility, and depending on the factions.

- Region trading, but a smart one (not to abuse but help "cleaning" the map and giving provinces to the rightful owner)

- More dplomacy options, rework of alliance system to if you are allieds to A and B, and A attacks B, your are not screwed as it is now...

- Similar to the Elector counts, a mechanism for HE where their influence could matter more (for exemple; spend infulence with a province like Chrace to get access to White Lions), and also for Brettonian duke doms.

- More formations; I'd like to have a shield wall, a "phalanx", a square or circle, and have close / loose formation

- Instead of different variants of units (like dwarves with axe/sword or great axe), have an option to "buy" equipment for a unit, and decide what to use during battle set up. You recruit regular dwarves warrior, you can buy them great axe, and during battle steup you can switch between axe/sword or great-axe (and it's fixed for the duration of the battle). It can also work to have riders on mount or dismounted, or to select what type of ammunition archers or bowmen would use. I don't want to be able to change mid battle to avoid to much complexity / exploit, but at set up. More flexbility, more tactical choices, but doesn't clutter the recruitment pannel.

- Better siege. Troy cities are nice... Or at least if they keep the one front line approach, give us more varied maps, and allow putting artillery on walls.

- More interesting resources. Troy ideas if requiring some resources to upkeep some units is interesting, and can avoid some doomstacking.

- Return of flagbearers inside an army. There's a mod for that! Make it official and better supported.

- More religion/corruption. Each race should have its own, and need to spread its infuence in new regions before it can exploit it correctly.

- Rework of confederation. Too easy for some race like Brettonia. I'd rather have a system like for Empire where you'd have to actively support a faction before it confederates. Not just research a tech and it's done

- Ruins rework: instead of the current system with puzzles in ruins, which is a bit ridiculous (why should we get Old ones puzzles just because a greenskins waagh just razed Nordland for example?), I'd rather have "land encounter", spawning randomly, a bit like we can find at sea, in relatively empty areas, and going there would have several random outcome : a puzzle, a battle against beastmen/orcs/chaos/vampire... with possible rewards
    Last edited by Steph; August 20, 2020 at 12:25 PM.

Beautiful map Lollsuck, I hope it will be used for Warhammer 3. I also like most of the suggested changes you proposed Steph.

I'd also like to see good naval fights like in Empire TW or Shogun 2, I don't know if it's achievable though.

Patrician Artifex

I would put them high in a list.
    Napoleon's naval battles were OK. Shogun not so good. And Rome rather poorly done.

I'm not sure naval battles for Warhammer would be really interesting, I think the current system of fighting an "island" battle instead is probably better, and it keeps a balance / fair fight.

Beside, making the models, the animations, the textures, and mechanism and balance for a naval parts would use up resources.

I'd rather see CA use that to make a full world map, complete races (Araby?) and missing units (for resources). And for mechanism: rework diplomacy and SIEGE.

I updated my map, which resulted in me adding even more stuff. I might make a more realistic proposal at some point but it's pretty hard as I've grown quite fond of this one.

Spoiler for open in new tab for big picture

Changes from last one:
    • Added the changes CA made to the map.
    • Norsca has been redesigned to be more varied and interesting, adding some inland provinces with a Skaven, Chaos and Wood Elf presence. The redesign is inspired by PaulH/Sil's Norsca redesign, although I scaled it back a bit compared to his. Also made Kraka Ornsmotek a province capital instead of the Norscan town to represent the fact it's supposedly the most heavily fortified Norse Dwarf hold.
    • Some changes in Kislev, the most significant one the creation of a new single-region province called the Crags of Shargun, which serves as an Orc stronghold and internal threat to Kislev. Also renamed or shifted a few places.
    • Fang Island has been made its own province so it has a higher probability of slowing down the Vampires of Sylvania rather than be instantly crippled by corruption.
    • Bretonnia saw the most significant changes outisde Norsca, mostly because of that new Old World map and because I actually read the RPG supplement about it. Those old Elven tradeports make the west coast far too packed but after I added Tor Soleil to replace a settlement I couldn't really find a source for I wanted to include one of the island ones as well because it adds something IMO. And after that I just thought I might as well add all four. Another addition is the Forest of Chalons, which is a possible location to move the Red Duke to so Mallobaude can get Mousillon and to move the Duke closer to "his" Aquitaine. I also thought about including a Forest of Arden special settlement as either a Wood Elf (as on that new Old World map) or Beastmen location but haven't decided yet.
    • Aguilas added to Tobaro's province so the region has move than one human port, although it doesn't really fit.
    • Shuffled the Borderland and some Badlands provinces a bit. I also decided to keep the Vale of Webs settlement, eventhough the Forest of Gloom is probably also meant to represent it, to give the local forest goblins a bit more staying power.
    • Replaced the Sunken Gateway in Lustria with the Tilean colony of Nuevo Luccini.
    • Made the Haunted Forest its own province so it lines up with all other special forest settlements.
    • Actually found a name for a Darklands location which I had overlooked at first, hello Howling Rock.

Patrician Artifex

Really nice map.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Great work! :-) As I love weird/odd location on my TW maps. Is there any info for South Pole? Gate of Caliph got me thinking that maybe ruined settlements (Norsca? ) just south of Fortress of Dawn and Tor Elasor would be cool. One province each. But except Deamons I cannot find any info :/ Because that would be crazy stuff I do. Set up colony and fight enless beastmen/Deamons hordes there -_-

Anyway, back to ground. Really great work!
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Yeah, there is nothing except for Daemons and Beastmen in the southern Chaos Wastes.