Thread: No supply line (upkeep) penalties

Default No supply line (upkeep) penalties

This mod completely removes the upkeep penalties of food and bronze when recruiting new heroes (armies):

No more recruiting a new general and finding that 1000+ of your food income just poofs out of existence. They still cost their standard 300 upkeep though.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2075g1hyzo6s67s/file

Default Re: No supply line (upkeep) penalties

I literally was about to share the exact same mod. Had a link ready and everything.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

That should help in preventing to get overrun by AI stack spams.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Sulfurion Blackfyre View Post
    This mod completely removes the upkeep penalties of food and bronze when recruiting new heroes (armies):

No more recruiting a new general and finding that 1000+ of your food income just poofs out of existence. They still cost their standard 300 upkeep though.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2075g1hyzo6s67s/file
    I think that exponential-costs mechanism is a quite neat way of limiting the number of the armies on the map. How do you cope with the stack-spam with your submod? The sniping-groups of armies problem is well alive in Troy, and your mod adds to the problem.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; August 27, 2020 at 03:29 AM.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Blog Entries

Is this limit applicable to the AI? Because I have no clue how Lycia with 27 regions can swamp me relentlessly with 6 full stacks at a time, playing as Achilles, barely able to file 4 full stacks (the fifth gets me into minus at the 4th unit) and I am holding nearly all of that area.
    On the other side there are factions that have literally endless supply of food and bronze and barely field a full stack. That sounds more like the old principle based on regions held.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I think that exponential-costs mechanism is a quite neat way of limiting the number of the armies on the map.
    It would be better if this mechanic affected the AI as well.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Fox View Post
    It would be better if this mechanic affected the AI as well.
    I think it somehow is. Not necessarily by exponential costs, but though programming of the AI. Otherwise you'd have small-army-spam.

It's possible the AI tends to fill up armies before making another, through programming. That does stop many small armies, but it doesn't stop many big armies.
    I'm not a fan of the supply lines system, as it feels wrong. You recruit one other general and suddenly your economy collapses. It encourages doomstacks of only the strongest units.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

first thing to do for limiting army spam would be to lower recruitment points so that armies grow slower
    I can do that if someone is interested 'cause, really, I haven't played this game more than 1 turn...

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    first thing to do for limiting army spam would be to lower recruitment points so that armies grow slower
    I can do that if someone is interested 'cause, really, I haven't played this game more than 1 turn...
    True, but the issue that supply lines is meant to reduce is the issue of snowballing. Reduced recruitment points across the board doesn't really help with that.

Blog Entries

I just did a little comparison - managed to keep two full stacks without the limit and was a bit over 1K food short with the limit. Forcing me to reduce the stacks to 16 each as there was no way of improving food production. And I am holding 4 food producing regions.

Maybe half the increment, eg from 20 to 10% for two stacks?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I just did a little comparison - managed to keep two full stacks without the limit and was a bit over 1K food short with the limit. Forcing me to reduce the stacks to 16 each as there was no way of improving food production. And I am holding 4 food producing regions.

Maybe half the increment, eg from 20 to 10% for two stacks?
    Cataph over at Da Modding Den discord made a small tweak mod for Troy that included precisely the change you suggest:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...2/ak_troy.pack

for anyone who feels like wanting these tweaks:
    - rout lockout from 60 seconds to 15 (was 10 in WH2). This means the invisible unbreakable timeframe after rallying.
    - nerfs poison wells damage by about a third via output nerf and resistance for all factions. YMMV based on armies.
    - food upkeep increment reduced by 4% per army in supply lines

THIS IS A MOVIE PACK. Remember it's there.
    Edit: I myself prefer to see the system gone entirely.
    Last edited by Flying Fox; September 02, 2020 at 12:33 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks, I'll give that a spin.